Is this an okay food (ingredients list)

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ingredients
Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken, Corn Grits, Dried Beet Pulp, Powdered Cellulose, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Rice, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Sodium Bisulfate, Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Fructooligosaccharides, Corn Meal, DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Folic Acid), Brewers Dried Yeast, Choline Chloride, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract.

Crude Protein minimum 35.5
Crude Fat minimum 17.0
Crude Fiber maximum 6.5
Moisture maximum 10.0
Ash maximum 7.6
Magnesium maximum 0.1
Taurine minimum 0.15
L-Carnitine minimum 80 mg/kg*
Omega-6 Fatty Acids minimum 2.3*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids minimum 0.23*

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does not look like enough quality protein sources and there is a lot of corn in there. Generally by products are not recommended and animal fat is very vague.
The person who can go through the list ingredient by ingredient is sharky and she should be here soon.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is that Iam's Multi Cat formula? (Same exact ingredients)

The Chicken by-product meal is definitely not good. The by-products could include chicken beaks and legs and other unsavory internal organs. If the chicken was freshly killed, like on a farm and immediately fed to the cat that would be ok, although I don't know if it's ok to give them the beaks and legs. However many companies don't use animals that have been just freshly killed, there is no telling just how "fresh" those "ingredients" are. So it's best not to feed that to your cat.

Also, as others have mentioned, the corn is not recommended.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The reason a name is not posted in a thread like this is that so no one makes a snap judgement by name alone.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

Ingredients
Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken, Corn Gritsthis is LOW end corn , Dried Beet Pulp, Powdered Cellulose, Ground Whole Grain Sorghumsugary grain, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Brewers Rice low quality , Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Sodium Bisulfatetoo high for my tastes , Potassium Chloride, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Fructooligosaccharides, Corn Meal, DL-Methionine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Folic Acid), Brewers Dried Yeast, Choline Chloride, Salt, Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract.

Crude Protein minimum 35.5
Crude Fat minimum 17.0

Crude Fiber maximum 6.5
Moisture maximum 10.0
Ash maximum 7.6
Magnesium maximum 0.1
Taurine minimum 0.15
L-Carnitine minimum 80 mg/kg*
Omega-6 Fatty Acids minimum 2.3*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids minimum 0.23*
NOT one I would give a second look too

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Wally was on various forms of that brand for several years (I recognized the ingredients on my own, before I read others' posts). A few months ago I noticed they switched from chicken fat to "animal fat." Wally had been puking a little more than ususal, and I wondered if that was why. I really didn't like the addition of fat from such a vague source. I switched him to a different brand- it's more expensive but he digests it better, so I feel better about it.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless that was my only choice I wouldn't feed that to my cats.
Of the first seven ingredients there are six ingredients I wouldn't want in a pet food, chicken being the only thing I would, though since these ingredients are in the order they were before dehydration took place, it's much further down the ingredients list.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

The reason a name is not posted in a thread like this is that so no one makes a snap judgement by name alone.
I'm not making a snap decision.
I'm feeding Iams Healthy Naturals with Chicken to my cats. I just don't like the formulas with the cellulose in them, Stimpy can't digest them.

My cats are good examples of cats who think the "better" foods taste like poo.
Stimpy doesn't do well on foods with multiple protein sources either (so Chicken Soup and many like it are out of the running). Both of my cats are doing better on Iams than they did on Nutro.
Different foods work for different cats.

Edit:
Have you checked out Iams Digestive Care? It says it helps with hairballs but doesn't have cellulose as an ingredient.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may have seen the debates a million times. Since my cat got diabetes from eating dry foods and since I have adopted diabetics and work with other diabetic cat owners as well as seen results with many cats suffering from crf ibs crystals obesity, I am a canned food pusher!!!!! A cat is a carnivore and needs protein from meat. The best foods have a muscle meat as the first ingrediant and no grains at all
Middle of the road foods have grains and other foods do not use a mucle meat as the first ingrediant but use organ meat or meal and are loaded with carbohydrates which many of these carnivores have trouble processing. You have to buy what you can afford of course but I would rather feed the bottom canned foods tghen the midle to upper dry foods if not for any other reason then dry foods not having enough water for a cat's body.
By product meal, corn, whole grain, brewers rice. Not the best.

smokiethecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think that Iams is bad at all..doesn't have wheat or soy. My cats
have switched over to this...the Original chicken one though. Cellulose is
for fiber or roughage,right?
By products don't bother me at all. I have called SD,purina and Iams and
they assured me that it does not contain beaks,feet,feathers. I'm sure some
lower feeds probably do. But SD told me that even if you use the dark meat you have to list it as a by product.Dark meat of a chicken,visera,etc doesn't bother me at all.
My cats do wonderfully on this brand.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by smokiethecat

I have called SD,purina and Iams and
they assured me that it does not contain beaks,feet,feathers.
Call me cynical, but that's exactly what I would expect them to say. Because they know that that is what you want to hear.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by smokiethecat

I don't think that Iams is bad at all..doesn't have wheat or soy. My cats
have switched over to this...the Original chicken one though. Cellulose is
for fiber or roughage,right?
By products don't bother me at all. I have called SD,purina and Iams and
they assured me that it does not contain beaks,feet,feathers. I'm sure some
lower feeds probably do. But SD told me that even if you use the dark meat you have to list it as a by product.Dark meat of a chicken,visera,etc doesn't bother me at all.
My cats do wonderfully on this brand.
THEY actually DO NOT know as it comes in VATS of by products ... supposedly someone was told it was 68% digestible ie wheat is MORE at 75

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did not mean to sound snappy. It just was not meant to be a guess this brand, but an assessment just based on the ingredients.

I am just so frustrated with cat food and trying to feed two different cats, and finding 1 food that will work for both of them. Maybe switching from kitten food to cat food will help.

Raven has the whole hairball issue and Jack seems to have a sensitive stomach or a sensitivity, and I just can't pinpoint if it is one thing or what.

Anyway, thanks for the input on this food, I just liked that it was for "multiple" cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what have you tried and what were the results??

how old is Jack now??

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Raven is almost 1, Jack is almost 10 months.

I have tried
Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Kitten- Jack barfed
Nutro Natural Choice Kitten (regular)- Jack barfed
Nutro Max Cat Kitten- (I honestly can't remember how he did, I think the pieces were too big for him at the time).
Purina Kitten Chow- Jack really barfed on this one.
Purina Healthful Life (free sample bag)- Jack did fine and really liked it, but I was not that impressed with the ingredients.
Purina One Healthy Kitten- Jack did fine, again I was not that impressed with the ingredients.
Diamond Naturals Kitten- Jack barfed (and niether seemed to "like" it)
Whiskas Meaty Morsals- Jack did fine, but I really did not like the ingredients

I have now mixed in some Science diet Hairball formula that I got basically for free (I bought it with a food storage container) and that seems to make Jack barf too, but seems to be helping Raven, but I WILL NOT buy Science Diet for them.

I guess basically what I need to do is find something that Jack can tolerate and mix it with less of something for Raven for hairballs. Feeding them seperately is not really an option.

They also get a wet meal 1 to 2 times a week.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you afford more wet food???

cause it seems the foods with a higher corn volume they do better which to me signals needing more fiber and moisture

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Can you afford more wet food???

cause it seems the foods with a higher corn volume they do better which to me signals needing more fiber and moisture
They might do much better on wet food, or a "simple" food like California Natural. Are you providing cat grass to help with the hairballs?

mbrcpr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

Call me cynical, but that's exactly what I would expect them to say. Because they know that that is what you want to hear.
The guy I talked to at Nutro told me that the propylene glycol (I think tha'ts right...it's *something* glycol, anyways) was there to keep it the dog treats from spoiling. I said "So it's a chemical preservative?" and he said "It's there to keep it from spoiling." Over and over.

Canidae swears that their dog food now has less carbohydrates, even though it's got more grains. The old formula ONLY had white and brown rice, and now it's got that, plus oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, and millet. Not to mention 10 ingredients before the fat, when it used to only have 5. And they didn't really say anything about the ENORMOUS increase in price.

Every company will completely justify anything they do. And they can get away with it because we really have no way to prove it otherwise. We just have to decide what is or is not ok with us personally, figure out what works best for the animals, and go from there.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbrcpr

The guy I talked to at Nutro told me that the propylene glycol (I think tha'ts right...it's *something* glycol, anyways) was there to keep it the dog treats from spoiling. I said "So it's a chemical preservative?" and he said "It's there to keep it from spoiling." Over and over.

Canidae swears that their dog food now has less carbohydrates, even though it's got more grains. The old formula ONLY had white and brown rice, and now it's got that, plus oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, and millet. Not to mention 10 ingredients before the fat, when it used to only have 5. And they didn't really say anything about the ENORMOUS increase in price.

Every company will completely justify anything they do. And they can get away with it because we really have no way to prove it otherwise. We just have to decide what is or is not ok with us personally, figure out what works best for the animals, and go from there.
the gycol is actually "natural"

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/ifs/...ene_glycol.asp

http://www.dow.com/productsafety/finder/prog.htm

NOT something I like to see but the rep should actually know since I know the company explain s it

I so AGREE with you 100% about the we have to debate what we will and wont use