TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › *****KatKwiz - July 18 - math warning*****
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*****KatKwiz - July 18 - math warning*****

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I am going to post this and take off. If I don't make it back today, we will pick up with the answer and KatKwery tomorrow.

This ought to keep you busy:

To the nearest tenth, the average number of posts per thread since the conception of The Cat Site is _____.__
post #2 of 16
I'll guess 13.8. Which, honestly, is probably wrong...
post #3 of 16
The average number of posts per thread is 14.6.
post #4 of 16
I also got 14.6!
post #5 of 16
As of 3:51, I got 14.4 posts per thread...

Threads: 158,415
Posts: 2,288,453

2,288,453 divided by 158,415

the problem with this question is, as the # of posts and # of thread change, the average is going to change...

I guess, for those of us that answered, we know where to find the # threads and posts (since inception)... and we know our math

post #6 of 16
Im going to say the numbers are going to be ever changing and everyone that does it at different points in time will get a different answer. Thus creating the different answers we have so far and the confusing math question you have put forth once again... Its no wonder we never get your math questions right... You make them impossible! Well impossible for one person to answer at 11:30am and another to answser at 4pm! I cant believe you're leaving us high and dry with the whole KatKlick... you're cruel! Im dying here!
post #7 of 16
I shall guess 14.8. Just because. But it will change as people post more...
post #8 of 16
lol I got 14.4 too
post #9 of 16
I go with whatever Marian says, LOL!
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Im going to say the numbers are going to be ever changing and everyone that does it at different points in time will get a different answer. Thus creating the different answers we have so far and the confusing math question you have put forth once again... Its no wonder we never get your math questions right... You make them impossible! Well impossible for one person to answer at 11:30am and another to answser at 4pm! I cant believe you're leaving us high and dry with the whole KatKlick... you're cruel! Im dying here!
Not true! When the numbers can change during the day, I always state that the kats are well aware that the numbers will change throughout the day. This time there could not possibly have been enough posts during the day to change the outcome by more than a tenth. I got rounded to 14.5, I would have accepted from 14.4 to 14.6. There is just no way that our winner today, who answered in one hour, did not deserve to win. I am usually around to check and recalculate math each time an answer is given but in this case there would have had to been thousands of posts in one hour to very the results by more than a tenth of a point.
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl View Post
The average number of posts per thread is 14.6.
If you click on forums and scroll to the bottom of the page you will find the thread and post totals for all time. Grab your calculator and divide threads by posts. Not long ago we had a guiz on hot threads where the answer was 15.0. So, we can conclude from this that the average thread is not a hot thread!

Congratulations! You were first with an acceptable answer (within one tenth of what I got).

Again I will state that when I give these math problems I usually recalculate the answer as soon as I get a response. I was out having day surgery yesterday so could not do that but the number of posts or threads to change the answer by more than one tenth during the time I posted the quiz and the time of this answer (one hour) just could not have happened. Persi can furnish mathematical proof upon request.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
Not true! When the numbers can change during the day, I always state that the kats are well aware that the numbers will change throughout the day. This time there could not possibly have been enough posts during the day to change the outcome by more than a tenth. I got rounded to 14.5, I would have accepted from 14.4 to 14.6. There is just no way that our winner today, who answered in one hour, did not deserve to win. I am usually around to check and recalculate math each time an answer is given but in this case there would have had to been thousands of posts in one hour to very the results by more than a tenth of a point.
I was just picking, I do think they deserved to win! Anyone who figured that out is definatly smarter than a 5th grader!

ETA~ I hope you are feeling okay from your surgery!!
post #13 of 16
Let me ask you a question, Lee (or anyone else who knows the answer), just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Perhaps it was because you threw me off when you said "this ought to keep you busy," implying that obtaining the correct answer should take some time, which it obviously didn't. But instead of doing the intelligent thing and referencing the Statistics section at the bottom of the Forums page as you mentioned, I went to that page and manually added all of the threads and posts according to the totals provided in those respective columns.

I wound up with 147,978 threads and 2,046,183 posts, which is how I came up with my guess of 13.8.

48 hours later, I see that the statistics show 158,513 threads and 2,289,675 posts. Obviously there haven't been 10,000+ new threads and 240,000+ new posts in the last 2 days. So what accounts for the difference?
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Let me ask you a question, Lee (or anyone else who knows the answer), just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Perhaps it was because you threw me off when you said "this ought to keep you busy," implying that obtaining the correct answer should take some time, which it obviously didn't. But instead of doing the intelligent thing and referencing the Statistics section at the bottom of the Forums page as you mentioned, I went to that page and manually added all of the threads and posts according to the totals provided in those respective columns.

I wound up with 147,978 threads and 2,046,183 posts, which is how I came up with my guess of 13.8.

48 hours later, I see that the statistics show 158,513 threads and 2,289,675 posts. Obviously there haven't been 10,000+ new threads and 240,000+ new posts in the last 2 days. So what accounts for the difference?
You will find the same discrepancy with the Members List. If you go to Members List you will find a different number than what is at the bottom of the Cat Forums page and Jcat told me once why this was and that it was hoped that nobody noticed this. It had something to do with a bunch of names being discarded from the list but that did not carry through to the statistics. Unbelievably, this has been a KatKwiz question before (why the difference) and if I cannot get ahold of Tricia today, I will find that KatKwiz. I have since forgot the reason and will contact her to get her to explain that again. However, I have checked your math and because of my ambigous words of saying it would take a while, I am retroactively declaring you a shared winner and sending you the appropriate points.
post #15 of 16
As I recall, the discrepancy is due to people registering as members, but not not clicking the link in the confirmation email they're sent, for whatever reason.
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
As I recall, the discrepancy is due to people registering as members, but not not clicking the link in the confirmation email they're sent, for whatever reason.
Thanks, Tricia. I did find the original question and this confirms it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › *****KatKwiz - July 18 - math warning*****