Charlie Wilson's War (2007)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie Wilson's War

Sometimes a movie gets lost among the shuffle because it's a good movie among great ones. With last years competition creating four films that will be studied for years to come, Ratatouille, Persepolis, No Country for Old Men, and There Will be Blood, and rounding out the year with one of the best bio-pics in a long time, I'm Not There. I can understand why people didn't end up shelling out a lot of money to go see a movie about a Congressman who likes to chase women, drink whiskey, and create a covert war in Afghanistan. Even if it did star Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Amy Adams.

Now, because it's summer there are a lot of movie rentals going on. I'd like you to simply add this one to your list. It's a short movie, coming in at the 90 minute mark, and it's packed with some great performances.

I have to say, I'm falling for a new star in this film. Amy Adams has some great potential. She was in Wedding Crashers, and can do physical comedy well. However, in this film she puts in a good dramatic role, and does well with it. I'm keeping an eye on her. I think we are looking at someone who will do great things.

As always this movie does contain some adult material. You don't want the little ones in the room for this one.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the review I'm renting a couple movies tonite and will pick up this one!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shelled out, and I loved it! Great true story, and apparently, Tom Hanks really can do anything. And somehow, this was the first time I'd seen Phillip Seymour Hoffman! He blew me away -- I have to catch up on him soon. (I wanted to see Capote in the theater, but it didn't play long here in this ultra-conservative area.
)

I thought Julia Roberts did a great job, too -- I've known a few Texas women just like that character, and she played her to a faretheewell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I shelled out, and I loved it! Great true story, and apparently, Tom Hanks really can do anything. And somehow, this was the first time I'd seen Phillip Seymour Hoffman! He blew me away -- I have to catch up on him soon. (I wanted to see Capote in the theater, but it didn't play long here in this ultra-conservative area.
)

I thought Julia Roberts did a great job, too -- I've known a few Texas women just like that character, and she played her to a faretheewell.
Capote is a fantastic film. You'll love it. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is one of the best actors out there right now.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great movie-PSH did a great job as usual. Makes one think about the current fighting going on in Afganistan.