Returned from Vet and acting strange

marc-o

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my 15 week old kitten to the vet yesterday to have his rabies shot, and to have bloodwork taken for his scheduled neuteuring in 4 weeks. He is by no means scared of going to the vet and actually seems to enjoy it.

Anyway, when we returned home he seemed very tired and woozy, and went right to sleep. I went back to work and a few hours got a phone call from the vet. She said she saw something a little strange in his blood, but not doesn't think it is to serious but sending it to a lab to be sure. No results yet.

When I came home from work, I went to see him, and he seemed very strange, and wouldn't go near his canned food when I opened it (normally comes running) I then saw that he was in the living room making a gagging motion, but nothing came up.

For the rest of the night I just tried to comfort him and he basically did not move just slept or laid with his eyes open, looked like he had no energy.

He slept on the pillow beside me, and this morning did not even want to wake up ,and was crying when I tried to pick him up.

Could this be from the bloodwork taken?
could it be the rabies shot?

*Note: he seems to cry only when I touch near his back legs (where they put the rabies shot)

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That same thing happened to my brothers dog. It was due to the rabies shot. He had a very bad reaction to it. It hurt to the touch. They called the Vet and they said that does happen. It wore off after a few days. I don't know if its the same thing, but it could be. You coud call the Vet and let them know what is is happening. Good luck.

Prayers and

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sad that your kitty isn't feeling well. I hope you phone the Vet to let them know that he's is having some sort of reaction...probably to the Rabies vaccine.

My kitty who is 19 weeks old was somewhat tired and quiet after his first and his third kitty shot...he was fine after shot #2 for some reason.

He hasn't received his Rabies shot yet...it's recommended to be given after 6 months of age because it's very traumatic to the immune system.

I hope your kitty feels better soon...if not, please take him back to the Vet so the injection site can be examined. Sending get well vibes..

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would think you need to go back to the vet again.
I also would never get another booster again as they aren't necessary and they can be risky. Best to you

There is no proof that boosters extend the life of the vaccine and may actually shorten the duration. They can also kill or cause major helth problems. I recommend the first set of vaccines for kittens and that is it.
I find these stats unreal
http://www.vaclib.org/legal/PetsDying.htm
and another
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/F...cinations.html

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet its the Rabies Shot.
One almost killed Lucy and a blood transfusion saved her at the time.
I did end up losing her a few years after the shot.
Coco isnt allowed to ahve them at all because its not safe for her.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

I would think you need to go back to the vet again.
I also would never get another booster again as they aren't necessary and they can be risky. Best to you

There is no proof that boosters extend the life of the vaccine and may actually shorten the duration. They can also kill or cause major helth problems. I recommend the first set of vaccines for kittens and that is it.
I find these stats unreal
http://www.vaclib.org/legal/PetsDying.htm
and another
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/F...cinations.html
I agree completely. I have said it forever that it doesn't even make any sense to continuously vaccinate any living thing every single year. Kitten series and thats it. I might do one more as an adult if the cat goes outdoors.

But the OP just took his kitten in for the first time by the sound of it. Sounds like a bad reaction to the rabies shot. That can happen and should be back to normal fairly quick. I never had a vet do bloodwork before a neuter. Seems a little extreme.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I never had a vet do bloodwork before a neuter. Seems a little extreme.
Me either, but it is being heavily suggested nowadays. In fact, someone on this board lost a kitty after a spay due to the anesthetic aggravating an undiagnosed heart condition. I suppose in 1% of cases, something can go wrong....

I hate to say it.....but bloodwork generates revenue for the Vet's office....and for that 1% it could be a lifesaver...but for 99%...well......

Of course I'm talking about an otherwise healthy kitten.

Perhaps after your kitty is feeling better, MarcO, it might be wise to have bloodwork done to see if all organs are functioning well. It would be a good baseline for his next few years, considering this reaction to the Rabies vaccine.

I hope kitty is feeling better really soon.... Keep us posted....

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It seems over the last 5 years its mandatory to get blood work before a spay/neuter. I've had many cats spayed and neutered both mine and strays that live outside. My Vet will not do a spay or neuter without bloodwork first. Plus the bloodwork can't be older then 30 days. I don't know if its just my Vet I've been going to them for years and they're very good and care very deeply for animals, so in many cases I know its not the money they want for the shots.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

It seems over the last 5 years its mandatory to get blood work before a spay/neuter. I've had many cats spayed and neutered both mine and strays that live outside. My Vet will not do a spay or neuter without bloodwork first. Plus the bloodwork can't be older then 30 days. I don't know if its just my Vet I've been going to them for years and they're very good and care very deeply for animals, so in many cases I know its not the money they want for the shots.
It isn't mandatory around here...just an option...one that increases the cost of a male neuter from $200 to a little over $400.....no doubt the bloodwork gives a better 'picture' of the animal's interior health and for some, that can be a lifesaver. The love, caring and concern of the Vets around here is mostly wonderful, but every business is in it for the continuation of that business...and it's a financially known fact that the shots and bloodwork have a very high profit margin.
It's more important that the pets be well cared for..than think of the cost of that care....for the most part, the Vets have the knowledge....but not too many give free care.....or reduced-cost care.....but they all do love our animals.....but if you can't pay....how many will still treat your pet? Just like any other business....if you can't pay....no service. The bottom line is the money....it has to be....or they'd go broke pretty fast.

How is your kitty today Marc-O?? I hope he's feeling better...

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mary's first vet was a by the book rather old fashioned vet and when Mary got her shot she was so sleepy and tired after that. I slept with her on my chest and stomach for 2 nights.
My new vets are very progressive and do not recommend rabies vacc except for cats that are always outside and barn cats. Other than that no. The city requires it but I don't do it.
I only got the basics for my daughter when she was a baby. I am very conservative with vaccines.
Rabies vaccines can cause tumors at the shot site and to me the chance of one my cats getting rabies is extremely minimal and not worth the risk. A kitten that small did not need that shot IMHO.
Comfort the kitty, make sure he is hydrated and given some nourishment. You don't need a secondary issue too.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sterling had a reaction to his rabies shot this last time, and was exactly the same way--lethargic, hot, and touchy. We took him back to the vet, who gave him metacam, I believe. Within an hour, he had perked up and was feeling better.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

My new vets are very progressive and do not recommend rabies vacc except for cats that are always outside and barn cats. Other than that no. The city requires it but I don't do it.
my state requires it - vets must comply. i would prefer not to give it, but should my cats ever get out [rarely happens] & bite someone & didn't have their vax proof - that'd most likely be their death sentence.