Playing out of hand

tmax59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats one male one female. The cats are brother and sister about six years old. The male cat is about fifteen pounds and the female is about seven and much smaller. The female was the runt of the litter and the male has been her protector from the time they were kittens. If we take the female to the kitchen to give her flea medicine or to trim her claws the male is right there to make sure we are not hurting her. They play together alot but latley the male has been very ruff and pins the female to the ground biteing her neck untill she criies and we come and save her. what we want to know is will he go to far and kill her and is he doing this when we are not home to save her.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know about killing her, but I've seen it over and over that as they age, the males just 'go for' the females (and I'm talking about neutered/spayed cats), terrifying them and really giving them a hard time. I don't believe there is an easy answer except to be sure the females have safe places where the males won't bother them and that you try to keep them (one/both) behind doors when you're not around.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tmax59

I have two cats one male one female. The cats are brother and sister about six years old. The male cat is about fifteen pounds and the female is about seven and much smaller. The female was the runt of the litter and the male has been her protector from the time they were kittens. If we take the female to the kitchen to give her flea medicine or to trim her claws the male is right there to make sure we are not hurting her. They play together alot but latley the male has been very ruff and pins the female to the ground biteing her neck untill she criies and we come and save her. what we want to know is will he go to far and kill her and is he doing this when we are not home to save her.
It's not always the males that are bullies. Here is the scenario that takes place every night without exception in our house. Soon after we go to bed, Alley appears and wedges herself in between us. Then Persi joins us and sticks his head under Alley's head, urging her to wash his head. She obliges, betting his head good and wet. Then when she is done she grabs a hold of his ear and gives it a good bite. The fight then begins and Persi runs her off. Satisfied with that, Persi goes off somewhere and a little later Alley returns. Persi does not appear again until morning time.