Post Kitten Momma Cat Care?

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We are adopting a 3-4 yr old Maine Coon Mix . Her babies were with her until this past weekend when they were adopted. All 3 cats were in the same cage and still nursing. Will Grace need any special care with food or her drying up process?

Will she experience the same sort of pain , and hardening of the breasts that women do when they stop breast feeding? Should I break out the heating pad?

Thanks

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lucky little Grace to have such a caring new Meowmy to look after her!

I think feeding her whatever she was receiving at her prior residence is the best way to start off ... then transition her slowly to whatever food you feel comfortable feeding her. She will probably need to gain some of her resources back after nursing and (I presume) being spayed.

Most cats don't have any problems with milk drying up, but just to be certain, watch for swelling or redness around her nipples and if you feel any hardness or if she seems to be in pain, get her on in to be seen.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
watch for the dreaded mastitis! The heating pad does loosen the up the hard spots and make them less tender, but for the most part I think if you dont try to touch them or try to express any milk from them she will be okay! Ive also used a hot water bottle so I could regulate tempature better, I just put it under something soft and they find it all on their own, make sure to cover the towel or heating pad because she will leak milk once they get warm! Good luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Lucky little Grace to have such a caring new Meowmy to look after her!

I think feeding her whatever she was receiving at her prior residence is the best way to start off ... then transition her slowly to whatever food you feel comfortable feeding her. She will probably need to gain some of her resources back after nursing and (I presume) being spayed.

Most cats don't have any problems with milk drying up, but just to be certain, watch for swelling or redness around her nipples and if you feel any hardness or if she seems to be in pain, get her on in to be seen.
Thank you both
I myself had the dreaded mastitis ...I have seven kids and Ive had it more than once. Thats why I was asking about Grace.

We are going to slowly change her food over... which is going to be hard because the shelter feeds what ever has been donated so its not always the same food.

Yes she is being spay Monday and coming home Tuesday.