Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

My boss thinks this is the funniest movie in recent memory. He swore to me up and down I wouldn't be disappointed. He swore that I'd laugh so hard it hurt. He lied. I. Didn't. Laugh. Once.

Now, this makes me think that something is wrong with me. For instance, why isn't a gay, French, NASCAR driver funny? Oh, right, because it's delivered with all the comic timing of a brick breaking a window. In fact, I can say that for the whole film. The funny scenes just seemed to be dragged out, and could have been funny if they were cut in half.

I'll admit, I'm not a fan of NASCAR, but there is SO much there to make a funny movie. Sponsors, NASCAR fans, pit crews, the race day itself, and so much more.

So TCSers, I've decided that my boss must watch O Brother Where Art Thou as punishment.

Don't rent this movie. Don't watch it on TV. Go rent Superbad if you want to see a slightly funny movie. It's better, and that's saying a lot.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I saw it on Encore and I just don't get Will Farrell humor. I didn't find anything funny there. Farrell seems to be over the top.

In fact, the only picture I've enjoyed with Will Farrell was "Stranger than Fiction". He actually was good in that, not stupid.

And "Brother, Where Art Thou" I've watched it a dozen times and can do it another dozen times. I love the whole mood of the movie.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I both enjoyed it. We went and saw it with some friends, and they enjoyed it as well. We still quote parts of the movie from time to time when we're joking around. I personally WOULD watch it again.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I do not enjoy Will Ferrell and we will run far, far away if anyone tries to suggest we watch a movie with him in it.

We never finished Napoleon Dynamite either. :/ We just don't get stupid humor (please note, stupid humor does not assume that the person who finds it humorous is stupid, just that the actions in which to create the humor are stupid).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

My husband and I do not enjoy Will Ferrell and we will run far, far away if anyone tries to suggest we watch a movie with him in it.

We never finished Napoleon Dynamite either. :/ We just don't get stupid humor (please note, stupid humor does not assume that the person who finds it humorous is stupid, just that the actions in which to create the humor are stupid).
I HATED Napoleon Dynamite! It seemed like a really bad rip off of Rushmore or Welcome to the Doll House.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I HATED Napoleon Dynamite! It seemed like a really bad rip off of Rushmore or Welcome to the Doll House.
I was really happy when my DVD player chose to crap out on me in the middle of the movie. My husband and I just couldn't get over how terrible it was!!!!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Stupid humor is exactly what all of those movies are, IMO - and I'm not saying that as a put down, but you've got to understand what you're getting in to before you watch such movies... I admit that movies like Superbad, Napoleon Dynamite, etc are stupid, but I still find them funny - I guess it's just sometimes I like to plop down and watch a movie where there's basically no thinking involved
and if I don't laugh at an actual joke, I'll laugh at how stupid the attempt at the joke was

We bought Talladega Nights for my dad as part of his xmas gifts one year (we're big nascar fans) and of course my parents were kind of disappointed, but I pretty much knew how it would be... we still have it and I'll pop it in sometimes and my dad can't deny that if he comes to sit down while I'm watching it he will laugh lol

Basically, I just think this movie (as well as most Farrell movies, ie the up coming Step Brothers) is meant to be taken with a grain of salt, if you will - if you don't go into it expecting an incredible movie masterpiece, you'll at least get a few chuckles out of it.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Stupid humor is exactly what all of those movies are, IMO - and I'm not saying that as a put down, but you've got to understand what you're getting in to before you watch such movies... I admit that movies like Superbad, Napoleon Dynamite, etc are stupid, but I still find them funny - I guess it's just sometimes I like to plop down and watch a movie where there's basically no thinking involved
and if I don't laugh at an actual joke, I'll laugh at how stupid the attempt at the joke was

We bought Talladega Nights for my dad as part of his xmas gifts one year (we're big nascar fans) and of course my parents were kind of disappointed, but I pretty much knew how it would be... we still have it and I'll pop it in sometimes and my dad can't deny that if he comes to sit down while I'm watching it he will laugh lol

Basically, I just think this movie (as well as most Farrell movies, ie the up coming Step Brothers) is meant to be taken with a grain of salt, if you will - if you don't go into it expecting an incredible movie masterpiece, you'll at least get a few chuckles out of it.
It's not that I expected a master-work or anything like that. I found Zoolander, Dodge Ball, and Anchor Man to be funny. It just seems that the lack of good editing got in the way of this movie. I'm all for the powerful hand of an editor to lay down the law when it comes down to movies like this.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Napoleon Dynamite was pretty bad. We watched that my senior year ... in marine biology
Our teacher thought it was great. I didn't find the funny in it!

I enjoyed Superbad and Talladega Nights. Semi-Pro was alright - seemed like it didn't live up to my expectations when I saw it. It took my mom 4 days to watch it
She ended up letting Rob and I watch it and then picking up where she left off.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a fan of silly humour either, so haven't and won't watch Ricky Bobby.

I saw Blades of Glory and that was bad enough. I think what I don't like is they don't go to any effort - there's glaring plot holes everywhere, really lame effects, and so many scenes where they seemed to only bother doing one take and just hoped it was ok, rather than making the effort to getting a good scene.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sat through most of Talladega Nights, but the one and only part I found funny was when Michael Clark Duncan stabbed him in the leg with the 2nd knife, if that tells you anything

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

I sat through most of Talladega Nights, but the one and only part I found funny was when Michael Clark Duncan stabbed him in the leg with the 2nd knife, if that tells you anything
I have to admit.. I smiled at that part. Also, when the little kid threw away his prison shank I giggled.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

My boss thinks this is the funniest movie in recent memory. He swore to me up and down I wouldn't be disappointed. He swore that I'd laugh so hard it hurt. He lied. I. Didn't. Laugh. Once.

Now, this makes me think that something is wrong with me. For instance, why isn't a gay, French, NASCAR driver funny? Oh, right, because it's delivered with all the comic timing of a brick breaking a window. In fact, I can say that for the whole film. The funny scenes just seemed to be dragged out, and could have been funny if they were cut in half.

I'll admit, I'm not a fan of NASCAR, but there is SO much there to make a funny movie. Sponsors, NASCAR fans, pit crews, the race day itself, and so much more.

So TCSers, I've decided that my boss must watch O Brother Where Art Thou as punishment.

Don't rent this movie. Don't watch it on TV. Go rent Superbad if you want to see a slightly funny movie. It's better, and that's saying a lot.
To be honest, I thought both Talledega Nights was funny and I liked O Brother Where Art Thou also

Maybe it's the redneck in me

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We had a spell of saying "shake and bake" in our horrible southern accent with each other..... an ear wig for sure. Kind of like Austin Power's "groovy" in our horrible British accent, we just couldn't stop for a while.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ack! I would rather hack up a hairball than watch a Will Ferrell movie. I saw the previews of Stepbrothers when I went to see Hancock (don't bother) and it looked just as bad as any of his movies.
I think I will watch O Brother, Where Art Though later. I have seen it several times and I just love it.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I gotta say I LOVE that movie and most Will Ferrel movies. My SO and I just laugh our butts off at most of his movies. As well we own Napoleon Dynamite, Super Bad and most of the other films that fall into the "stupid funny" category. To each their own we always enjoy siting back and laughing at things that most people find tacky. To be honest with you I hated Napoleon Dynamite the first time I watched it I wanted to smack my brother for making me rent it. Then my SO wanted to watch it on one of our nights in and I finally let loose and let my brain cells die a horrible death and laughed at it.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talladega Nights was pretty bad. I admit it had a couple moments but on the whole, I didn't think it was anything special. So far, Old School is the only Will Ferrel movie I can watch over and over without ever getting tired of it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

It's not that I expected a master-work or anything like that. I found Zoolander, Dodge Ball, and Anchor Man to be funny. It just seems that the lack of good editing got in the way of this movie. I'm all for the powerful hand of an editor to lay down the law when it comes down to movies like this.
haven't seen Ricky Bobby - & don't plan to. i figured all of the funny stuff was on the trailer... that's been my experience w/this type of movie... except for Zoolander & Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure - both of which i liked.
didn't care for Caddyshack or Dumb & Dumber, either.