Pre-travel jitters!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'm gonna

It just hit me....in a day I'll be conquering two of my biggest fears.

I'll be flying.
I'll be letting PJ & Punky go.

Admittedly, to an awesome home, but it's not any easier.

I have all this packing to do - for me & them. There are so many things I want for them in their new life that they cannot have go with (Uncle Dorian, a cat tree, me). They have settled in so well here, finally became adept at avoiding Ophelia (who would love nothing more than to kill them).

They sleep with me at night, Punky crawls on my head & chews my hair after my alarm goes off, then he gets some lovin.

I have to stuff them in a kennel for a 3 hour car ride. They then get put into carriers, hauled back out to go through security, then back in for up to 2 hours (depending on how long it takes to get through security). Then we have a 3 hour flight. An hour drive once we land to their new home. Seems like a lot for them, but I think they'll do alright. They specifically attached to me, which will help with them always being with me.

Yesterday at work, my sleep deprived brain went through the entire "worst case scenario" stuff....
What if the plane crashes? (I should never have watched Final Destination
)
What if sharky's really a psycho ax murderer? (Right...be a member of TCS for over 3 years to lure someone with two cats to kill them
)
What if PJ & Punky don't adjust well? (They'll be fine..)
What if they aren't happy there? (See above...they'll be fine!)
Will Ben step on them? (How will that be different from Macey stepping on them?)
What if either of Da Boyzz gets loose in the airport? (Just be tough, meowmy!)

OK, I'm just really not happy about letting them go anywhere, but it's probably what's best for them, even if it sucks for me!

The person going with me will flip if I start crying, so I have to try to be strong!
(That will never work)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally can sympathize with the fear of the whole flying thing. I now travel with meds (supposedly since 9/11, but really before that, even).

The kitties will be fine. Honestly - how much do they sleep a day?
Plus they have each other! They are going to an awesome new home, and will probably just snooze the whole way.

You will have a much harder time. Maybe take some Benedryl before - or Dramamine? About 2 hours before the flight, and then you will be very sleepy right around takeoff.

When is the trip exactly? So I can be thinking of you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it's gonna kinda suck for me. I normally wake up at noon. I have to be up at 4AM. Pick my friend up at 5:30, so have to leave home at 5AM. 3 hour drive, & I'm directionally challenged. It's this friday we travel out.

Get back in Monday, picking up a kitty from a TCS member to bring back with me as it needs a home. If she's preggo, she'll be on hold for adoption. If not, she'll go up for adoption right away.

Dramamine + Natalie = projectile
Bad combo, I found out the hard way once!

I'd rather not taking anything, with that amount of drive ahead of me. They have a vet appt the same day they arrive, so I want to be (relatively) sane enough to relate enough of their history....and hopefully not scare her vet too much.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natalie, you're a stronger woman than I am!!
I'd be hid in a closet with both of them if I was in your situation!
Many calming for you and Da Boyzz.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll be fine! Flying is safer than driving. However, try and get me on a flight that goes over water and I'd probably kill you in the process!!
But then again that fear is actually about drowing, not crashing, but then again the plane would have to crash for me to drown, but I'd probably be killed on impact so it's a moot point!

Seriously, you'll be fine

The first time I flew I was terrified. I was on an isle seat and refused to let anyone open up a blind anywhere within my range of sight! And I had my feet braced against the legs of the seat in front of me, and I'm surprised that the arm of my co-worker next to me didn't have to be amputated cause I hung on so tight that her circulation was cut off. On the way home wasn't so bad.

The last time I flew I even asked for window seats!

It sounds like you have quite the trek between driving and flying, but you'll manage just fine, and so with PJ and Punky!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least you can fly with them!!
I cant fly with my kitties!! :cry:

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

What if sharky's really a psycho ax murderer? (Right...be a member of TCS for over 3 years to lure someone with two cats to kill them
)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Everything will be fine, Nat, including you. You'll probably be surprised at how boring flying actually is. Just be sure to insist that the carriers/cats are checked out by security in a closed room, and there shouldn't be any trouble.
Hey, we want some pictures, so don't forget your camera.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
white cat lover;2355672 said:
)
Sorry nate, i did try to work out a way, to come do the flying myself. But it did not work out

oh wait, i could be a axe murder also

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nat your minds on overdrive!

Here take these
but not all at once. I'm sure there'll be more kittens that can chew your hair in the near future

Just remember to take pictures like Tricia said!.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good luck and I can hardly wait for the run down. - you know the play by play

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as the safety of flying is concerned, you are safer flying every day for a year than you are riding in a car to the airport one day. Statistics just aren't that comforting, are they?

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend, don´t give up!,

Originally Posted by taterbug

Natalie, you're a stronger woman!
...for sure my friend!..

Originally Posted by white cat lover

)
Oh My!...
she´s been waiting for you!...

Oh Nat how you figured that!....
...you made my day with this!...

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
for you and the kiddos!..

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, Nat, I know this is a big deal for you and the boys, but you're tough and can handle it. Just think how great it will be once the boys finally get home to Sharky. What a happy ending!