My Beautiful Bellah

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
5 years ago I adopted Bellah from an online group called Maine Coon Rescue , she was 6 or 7 at the time . Last Tuesday night she started acting weird she couldn't control her left leg ... then the right one went ... within a few hours she was unable to get up and by 530 AM she was gone. We buried her by 6 AM at 9 AM we called the vet ( we live in the country we don't have an ER of sorts. They asked us if we wanted to dig her up to have her examined... I couldn't do it.

I am heartbroken .... I have never been as close to a " pet " as I was to Bellah.

For some reason it popped into my head that per the contract we signed with Maine Coon Rescue that I had to tell them with in 24 hours of her passing. I went to the website to let them know... the website was suspened..... and there was a message for someone to contact their host.

So I went to pet finder to see if I could find any contact listing for them.... I didn't but what I did find was a Coonie girl , in the next town that is in need of a home.

I stared at her picture wondering do I call about her , is it too soon am I "cheating " on Bellah.....I'm still crying as I write this ... feeling foolish.

I decided to call... I told them I had just lost Bellah and that I was afraid maybe it was too soon. They asked me to come in and meet Grace.

My husband and I went to meet Grace , shes a 3-4 yr old Coonie baby , who had 2 babies of her own who were adopted out this past weekend.

She had been with an elderly couple who took in animals to " save them " . The wife died and the husband didn't want the cats. Grace was so matted when she came in that shes almost bald.

I took her out of her cage and she started to rub me and lick me..... I'm hooked , yet so , so sad about my Bellah.

We have been approved to adopt her.... shes being spay Monday and coming home Tuesday. I have been to see her every other day since we started this process.

Grace will never replace Bellah .... but she need a home and I needed somewhere to put my love. Its like I have this big hole inside , that hurts very badly.

We have other fur babies whom I love but there isn't the closeness .... I can already feel that Grace will be a good friend.

Thanks for listening.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost your Bellah, but I wonder if maybe she wanted Grace find some of the same love you gave Bellah - and for Grace to help fill the hole that's in your heart right now. Bless you for loving so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I'm so sorry you lost your Bellah, but I wonder if maybe she wanted Grace find some of the same love you gave Bellah - and for Grace to help fill the hole that's in your heart right now. Bless you for loving so much.
Thank you for the kind words.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry about your Cat. When my Stormy died last Dec I had just got Oreo. I am glad you are getting another Cat. I know oreo is not teh same as my Stormy was but it did help I had her. Stormy was fine one day then almost dead when I saw her. If you need anyone to talk to Pm me.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
your love for Bellah & your responsibility has allowed her to guide you to a new kitty to love. it's not too soon - i'm sure Bellah's paw was guiding you from the bridge.
for Bellah - &
for you in your pain & that Grace becomes all you could wish for.
& welcome to TCS!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i'm sorry for your loss but maybe you sweet bellah sent you a friend to comfort her mum in her time of need? and what perfect name for a little angel!

May you take comfort in knowing bellah loved you and this new little one although she'll never take bellah's place will care and love you in your time of need

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss of Bellah. RIP sweet Bellah

I don't think its too soon at all. If you feel that its the right thing to do from the bottom of your heart, I believe its Bellah's way of sending another kitty in need to you, so that you may give her the same love, attention and care that you gave Bellah when she was with you. I think Grace will be able to help you a lot through your grieving process, so don't feel that you are betraying Bellah. *Lots of hugs*

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.

Bellah will always be with you in your heart.

When my precious Mew (age 16) crossed the bridge in 2000, two weeks later I adopted my 2 sweeties, Dexter and Sadie, who will turn 8 tomorrow.
Although I was in deep grief, those two kittens needed a home...
so I opened mine to them.
It was a way to honor the love I shared with Mew.
I have never regretted my decision.

As you said, Gracie will never replace Bellah, but in time, you will learn to love her.
There is always room for more love in our lives.

Rest in peace beloved Bellah.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
RIP Bellah

It is tough when your heart is removed. But it is the most wonderful feeling when you find a warm loving fur baby to transplant a new one into you.
My your heart sing with the love of Gracie. Enjoy everything she has to share with you. I have been down the same road and nothing can hurt as much, but in return, nothing is as wonderful as a new life to love.

K.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss

Bellah is safe and well at the bridge now, but she'll always be alive as long as you don't stop thinking of her

Take comfort in Grace, because i always say things happen for a reason.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard when the leave suddenly.
I have to say that I believe Bellah sent Gracie and it reminds me a lot of what happend when I lost my cat Smokey. She was 17 and had been sick for a long time. I was heartbroken, but relieved she was out of pain. I went to a friends house. She and her mom foster for the shelter I volunteer for. The night Smokey passed they lost one of their cats, so we were going out to dinner. Smokey died on a Friday, the night before they had taken in a little grey kitten. I took one look at him and started to cry. He looked like Smokey. He looked at me, gave a little meow, and ran over and sat on my shoulder. He had picked me. Levi is a very special cat, and I have a bond with him that is very strong. So I don't think you "cheating" on Bellah, and by the way I had similar thoughts. Your greiving, and just know Gracie won't replace Bellah but will be a furry body to cry on when you are missing your Bellah. No one that is capable of loving an animal as much as you did Bellah should hold that love. Your doing a very good thing by sharing that love with another cat in need, and I am sure Bellah would want it that way.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Bella. It sounds like a classic "saddle thrombosis," which some people say Maine coons are more prone to.

Every one we lose leaves a hole in our heart just their size and shape, and no other cat can fill that hole, but every one of them helps.

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone your words are more comfort than you know. Its a comforting thought that Bellah had a hand in guiding me to Grace .

Do any of you have any advice on how work to get beyond my grief?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys

Thank you everyone your words are more comfort than you know. Its a comforting thought that Bellah had a hand in guiding me to Grace .

Do any of you have any advice on how work to get beyond my grief?
For me, only time eased the overwhelming feeling of loss.

The link below, will take you to a sticky thread posted at the beginning of the Bridge forum.
There might be some insights, that will help you understand your feelings, there.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8197

Please know that here on TCS, we understand what you are feeling...
you are not alone with your grief.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coming here to talk to others that understand, and people at the cat shelter that understood was most helpful to me. People who let me cry and knew that it was OK to cry over a beloved pet because she was part of my family. I also spent many nights laying on the couch with Levi & Jordan holding them while crying. They seemed to understand I needed them as much as they needed me.

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

For me, only time eased the overwhelming feeling of loss.

The link below, will take you to a sticky thread posted at the beginning of the Bridge forum.
There might be some insights, that will help you understand your feelings, there.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8197

Please know that here on TCS, we understand what you are feeling...
you are not alone with your grief.
I keep feeling like I should be able to buck up and get on with it... then a wave of pain hits and I start crying. I am thankful that I came back here. Other than my husband I think you are the only ones that understand.

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

No you shouldn't. Your grieving and it doesn't go away overnight, you have to take it one day at a time
Thank you