Hugh Laurie on Friends

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just watching a rerun, the one were Rachel flys to London to tell Ross she loves him. The man sitting next to Rachel on the plane is Hugh Laurie (House) I couldn't believe it.
He was actually clean shaven so I didn't recognize him at first. Also one night watching a rerun of Seinfeld I noticed Lisa Edlestein (Cuddy on House) was playing one of George's girlfriends.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I noticed that a while ago and I was surprised. I really don't understand how he just loses his accent when he is on House.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recognized him on that episode at the time. He's been in movies, most memorably for me, Sense and Sensibility. He was great in that, even though he had a small role. So when House started, for me, he was the guy that was in Sense and Sensibility, and on Friends.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

I recognized him on that episode at the time. He's been in movies, most memorably for me, Sense and Sensibility. He was great in that, even though he had a small role. So when House started, for me, he was the guy that was in Sense and Sensibility, and on Friends.
He was also one of the bumbling dog-nappers in the live action remake of 101 Dalmations w/ Glenn Close as Cruella!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is realllly good at an American accent. Since my family is mostly English, I can tell sometimes when he says certain words on House, but he's so terrific at it.
He is so hilarious in that Friends episode. Friends is my favorite TV show ever. I have all the seasons on DVD.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was also in both Stuart Little movies. Which I didn't know until I looked up what he's played in.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did anyone else see that he was in Spice World? I'd like to watch that and see just where he is in it.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

Did anyone else see that he was in Spice World? I'd like to watch that and see just where he is in it.
NO WAY

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

He is realllly good at an American accent. Since my family is mostly English, I can tell sometimes when he says certain words on House, but he's so terrific at it.
He is so hilarious in that Friends episode. Friends is my favorite TV show ever. I have all the seasons on DVD.
Friends is my favorite show ever as well!!!! I only have 4 seasons on DVD right now, but I seriously could watch the same episodes everyday and would still find them hilarious.

About Hugh Laurie...I had NO idea he was British!!!
Now I have to go find that episode so I can see it, lol.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get hold of the Blackadder series, the one he did with Rowan Atkinson, you'll laugh your head off. He's hysterically funny. (Funny series, too.)

Also, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, where he and Stephen Fry partnered up for some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

If you can get hold of the Blackadder series, the one he did with Rowan Atkinson, you'll laugh your head off. He's hysterically funny. (Funny series, too.)

Also, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, where he and Stephen Fry partnered up for some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen.
I'll have to check those out. I love Hugh Laurie, grrr, he's sexy for an older guy.
I think he's married though.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh! Ooh, ooh! I forgot about Jeeves and Wooster! It's a classic British series, and he's once again teamed up with Stephen Fry. There were 4 seasons, and 23 episodes. He plays Bertie Wooster to Fry's Jeeves.

Check it out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098833/

Yup. I think he is, indeed, married. (But he's still fab.)

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have season one through three of House. As soon as season four comes out I'm getting it.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love Hugh Laurie! I saw the House DVD extras and apparently when the director saw Hugh Laurie's audition he thought that he was American.

I always laugh when I see the episode when House pretends to be British so he can call someone in the middle of the night. His accent sounds like those awful fake 'British' accents American TV shows often use, but its his real voice.
Having said that, he did go to Oxbridge *shudders* so I guess I can understand the accent.

The episodes of Friends set in 'England'/ with 'English' characters make me laugh too, for much the same reason, but I guess that English shows with American accents must do it pretty badly too.

There can be no better Bertie Wooster than Hugh Laurie.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

Yeah I noticed that a while ago and I was surprised. I really don't understand how he just loses his accent when he is on House.
I read about this or saw an interview in which Laurie said that he thought they wanted to cast a Brit (gosh, I really hope that that is PC) so he decided to use his American "accent."