Do You Get Headaches When You're On the Computer For Long Periods Of Time?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do.
I also get knots in the muscles of the neck & shoulder area, and a pinched nerve that flairs up. Needless to say, it's very uncomfortable, so I have to limit my time on the computer..

Does anyone else have this problem?

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, though mostly from my eyes. I'm rather tolerant of my neck issues - it's been very tender/sore for several days now but I don't notice it unless I turn my head.

My only advice is to make sure your monitor is level with your eyes so that you're not looking up or down. Sit properly in your chair, get a better chair if you have to, and have your keyboard at a proper level. Get up and stretch. If you've had physical therapy for your neck or back before you should have been taught how to help correct your posture - flexation and extension, and so on.

I also minimize some right shoulder issues by using more keyboard shortcuts and using my mouse less. Also, if you find yourself leaning forward to read then increase your font sizes.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i do. but, then, i also get headaches when i'm not - actually, i just think i'm 'headache prone'.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I do and I also get them when I read or concentrate on something for too long. I have glasses for that reason.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yes sometimes my friend....
but My work is 95% with the PC...
but also I check TCS too..

I wear Glasses to rest my vision...
do you wear too?...

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Mine are posture related (neck problems), plus I can't tolerate sitting still for very long or I get stiff & sore all over. If you suspect posture may be the cause (the neck & shoulder tension is a sign), try to be conscious of your posture, and take frequent breaks. There are lots of freeware stretch break programs available online for download that you can use to remind you to stop & take a break at regular intervals - some even show you exercises to do to keep you from stiffening up. I use Ergociser.

It can also help to pay attention especially to your neck & head position...if you find yourself slouching a bit with your chin pointing up as you look down at the computer, try to remind yourself to sit with your head level, with your chin level and your ears over your shoulders, and your shoulders over your hips, with your shoulders relaxed and down (most people lift them unconsciously when they're concentrating or stressed). And if you use the phone at your computer, it's better to use a headset or your speakerphone rather than tucking the receiver between your shoulder & ear.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do! And my neck and shoulders get really tense. I work on the computer all day and then come home and look at TCS and play computer games. I am a glutton for punishment, I think.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, if I spend all day on the computer then I will get a headache. It's posture and neck problems for me. Also I find I'm squinty from staring at the screen too much.

k.j.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont get a headache. But frequently when I stand up I find I black out, my vision turns black and I'm dizzy for about 5 seconds.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by K.J.

I dont get a headache. But frequently when I stand up I find I black out, my vision turns black and I'm dizzy for about 5 seconds.
Lack of blood flow to your brain, in other words transient orthostatic hypotension. Get up slower, and if you're going to be sitting for a while tense the muscles in your legs, bounce/shake them a little or just generally move them around to get the blood circulating before you get up as it's natural for some blood to pool in the legs.

Look up orthostatic hypotension and see if the symptoms for it sound familiar to you.

I always have bad blood flow to my brain, and it's actually one of the causes for my frequent headaches.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have headaches in the morning upon waking and don't go away with aspirin??
You might need an eye exam and bifocals!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nope not anymore, but i work on computers all day anyway, i guess i just got used to it.

i do blame the x-rays coming off the monitor blasting thru my brain then out the back of my head for blowing out all my hair cells. (err, yea, i dont know if they put out xrays or not, but it sounds like a good excuse hehe )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

My only advice is to make sure your monitor is level with your eyes so that you're not looking up or down.
That's a big part of the problem, I think.
I have to wear bifocals, and in order to see the computer screen well, I need to look through the bottom part of the bifocals - which means I have to raise my head to do so. Getting a better chair that I can raise higher will help, but then, of course, my back will be strained b/c my feet won't be level on the floor - and my back is already messed up. Once I can afford to get a better chair, I reckon I'll have to figure something out to keep my feet level so my back won't be strained..

Getting old sucks! Bifocals, special chairs, blah, blah, blah.

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i do. but, then, i also get headaches when i'm not - actually, i just think i'm 'headache prone'.
Me too. I'm sure that's also a contributing factor..

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

I wear Glasses to rest my vision...
do you wear too?...
Yes, I have to wear bifocals. I'm a geek, too.
But I'm a grandma now, so I reckon it's to be expected.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Do you have headaches in the morning upon waking and don't go away with aspirin??
You might need an eye exam and bifocals!!
I sometimes wake up with a headache, but usually a couple Excedrins will ease the pain. And yes, I do wear bifocals..

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

nope not anymore, but i work on computers all day anyway, i guess i just got used to it.

i do blame the x-rays coming off the monitor blasting thru my brain then out the back of my head for blowing out all my hair cells. (err, yea, i dont know if they put out xrays or not, but it sounds like a good excuse hehe )
Imp, as usual, you make me laugh!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't but Brandon does

If he sits on the computer for more then an hour or so he will wake up with a bad headache the next day from straining his eyes