Anyone here wear glasses with Transitions lenses?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got my very first pair of glasses yesterday, and I really love them.

Question is, how long until the Transitions lenses start darkening to their fullest extent?

Right now, they only get a light, smokiness to them, meanwhile I'm outside working and squinting in the bright sun.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine would get really dark only after I had been out in bright sunlight for a while ... maybe 15 to 30 minutes. If they don't get as dark as you think they should, take them back to where you got them and ask them to see if there is a problem with them. My mom's glasses were supposed to be the Transitions and they didn't get dark enough to keep her from squinting either - it turned out to be that the lens coating they used was defective.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has them and loves them, she's had them for ages. It seems like her old pair got darker much faster, she's always complaining about how the new ones take a long time to darken.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Mom has them too. She likes them and the only problem I've ever heard her say about them was that every so often she's had to stop by the eye place and let them put them under a light or in some machine to make them transition properly again. I don't think the transitioning on them is really fast. I know when we worked together I'd see her run in the office for something and they'd still be dark when she left.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I've always wondered about those.

Do they get dark inside under flourecent lighting like the old type used to?
They have to have full spectrum UV light to darken, they will not darken under normal fluorescent lights, nor will they darken in newer vehicles as the glass has a UV protective coating.

Since I need them to drive as well, I did get a pair of polarized clip on sunglasses for in the truck.

They told me at the vision center that it takes a bit for them to reach their darkest stages, but once they get there, they'll darken very fast.
I was just wondering if 'a while' was hours, or days

You do not go without dark glasses around here, you'd be squinting like Popeye in no time flat

strakatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to take mine back to Wally World twice. 2 replacements later and they finally got em right.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got a new pair of glasses last Friday w/transition lenses. They turned immediately just as soon as I went outside. I love'em!!

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

They have to have full spectrum UV light to darken, they will not darken under normal fluorescent lights, nor will they darken in newer vehicles as the glass has a UV protective coating.

Since I need them to drive as well, I did get a pair of polarized clip on sunglasses for in the truck.

They told me at the vision center that it takes a bit for them to reach their darkest stages, but once they get there, they'll darken very fast.
I was just wondering if 'a while' was hours, or days

You do not go without dark glasses around here, you'd be squinting like Popeye in no time flat
I was told when i first got mine, to set them out in the sun to "season" them. But I drive alot and they wouldn't darken in the car, so I had to use clip-ons also. As they got a bit older they didn't transition very well when I went inside from outside. I didn't really like them. For the extra price it didn't seem worth it to me. I got new glasses a few months ago and didn't go for the transition. Clip-on flip-ups work better for me.
I also got progressive lenses this last time I got glasses. I totally love them. I wish I hadn't been so stubborn about getting them before. They make my job so much easier.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was an optomotrist on a public radio show last week and someone called in about these. He said this is the 3rd generation of lenses and have much improvement over the originals. This also has to be ordered at time of eyeglass purchase as its not an added tint like other sunglasses.
I need to get new glasses and usually get a pair of prescription sunglasses but were thinking about these instead. Do the lenses come in different colors??

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's nice to see so many people liking these.. I've been debating whether or not to get the transitions with my next pair. I am always squinting when I'm outside, even when it seems like no one else is bothered. I don't carry a purse, so even though I have clip-on sunglasses, I usually end up leaving them in the car because it's a pain to have to carry them around or put them uncomfortably in my pocket once I'm inside.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i wouldn't ever get them, myself. i want the sides screened from light as well as the front. i wear contacts most of the time - my regular sunglasses resemble these. for glasses days, i wear something similar to these - but even tho i got a pair of those, i really prefer the similar ones i got at walmart - for 1/2 the price!

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have noticed when I wash mine in HOT water they turn to dark, I think mine work best in heat as well as light.
K.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got them, and I really like them when I wear them. Admittedly I don't wear them all that much. I usually wear contacts. It only takes mine less than 5 minutes or so to get fully dark. The only downside I've found is that they don't get dark when you're driving because it's not bright inside the car.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I just got my very first pair of glasses yesterday, and I really love them.

Question is, how long until the Transitions lenses start darkening to their fullest extent?

Right now, they only get a light, smokiness to them, meanwhile I'm outside working and squinting in the bright sun.
I was told by an eye doctor that placing them in the fridge would expedite the process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I was told by an eye doctor that placing them in the fridge would expedite the process.
LOL well, it couldn't hurt, they are shatter proof poly lenses.

Heck, I'll try anything that doesn't harm them

saundby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to wear them, though I've gone back to clip-ons. They should transition within 5 minutes or so.

I now wear glasses that take custom clip-ons that aren't as bulky as the old style (which drove me to Transitions.) Amateur astronomy is a hobby of mine, and even just the initial dazzling by sunlight from walking out of, say, a store to the parking lot was enough to affect my vision on faint objects like galaxies at night later. So I put my clip-ons on before I walk out the door now.

Other than that I liked the Transitions OK, but even when dark they weren't as nice as the polarized blue-blockers I used to wear when I wore contacts.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have some, many years ago, back when glasses were glass!

But I have to wear them to drive, so the current type wouldn't work.