Weird Cat Toys

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We spend hundreds of dollars on "special" toys for our cats to play with, but have you ever wondered why?? Because they rarely play with them -- no!

They'd rather play with the top off a milk carton, or an old rolled-up sock dipped in catnip.

The other day I was doing my nails (I use those glue-on kind), and I dropped one on the floor. Within seconds, two of the kittens noticed, and proceeded to fight over it. So I threw another one on the floor, and then they were both happy. They batted the things around for about an hour, and when they were wore out, ran off and took a nap. The cost of the two nails were cheaper than most of the toys I spent a small fortune on..

Lately, they've been having a blast with a knot of fur that Winchester pulled out from himself -- especially Chiquita & Ricochet -- and that was free. Chiquita will run off with it in her mouth, and Ricochet will chase after her. He'll try grabbing it from her, and she'll growl at him. They'll get into a scuffle, till one of them is the victor and runs off with the "prize". All this over a clump of fur. If I would have known they'd derive so much pleasure out of such a thing, I wouldn't have bought them their cute little stuffed animals to play with....

And even though I live in Texas and you get those huuuge tree roaches in your house from time to time, I never have to worry about hiring an exterminator. The cats are better than any insecticide on the market. I reckon the roaches slide better over the wooden floor than any ole ball would -- although I can't for the life of me understand just how the cats can stand to even touch the nasty things..

A piece of dry spaghetti or a dry noodle works wonders, too. Or a coin or pen that drops out of your pocket.

I may never buy another cat toy again. I don't need to.

~KK~

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh yes, the joy of the cheap toy!
I can't get away with it anymore because ReeRee is a chewer and an eater
I am afraid to let him have anything unless i sit over him while he plays...and I figure just get out Da bird cus' he is so funny playing with that we BOTH have a good time.

My first cat NEVER had a store bought toy! His favorite toys were rolled up balls of foil wrapping and the rings from the milk cartons. Endless hours of entertainment!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone who's bought an expensive toy only to find the cat ignoring the toy but enjoying itself thoroughly in the box the toy came in would know! I'm quite wary of letting cats play with small items though, never know when they decide to take off into another room and swallow that item! Maybe I'm just a worrywart

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Lucy's favorite toy is anything she can knock off my desk. Then it loses her interest.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of my favorites i've seen my crew play with are :

Bubbles- seriously- Koajk and Fosters our Australian Shepherd go nuts over bubbles!!! We had tons of bubbles left over from our wedding -so everyday we make a huge game of it

Laser pointer- Fosters, bless him, enjoys the laser pointer more than the cats do
But Kojak enjoys it also

Ponytail holders- Kojak has been chased around the house numerous times for stealing them
I normally keep them all in a safe place the cats can't get into but once in a while i'll take on off and forget to put it away- it's at that point he steals them! He's even stolen them off of my ring holder by the kitchen sink before
(he's not allowed on my counters!)

Foster's tail - Kojak's favorite toy! Fosters is an Aussie, so he has a short stubby tail with lots of long pretty dangly fur at the end- Kojak enjoys chasing his tail and pouncing it

Spiders- all the cats really enjoy torturing any spiders that sneak into the house.

and my very favorite - carboard boxes- they type that soft drinks come in. Colin folds them up and throws them around the house and then Fosters will play with them for hours fetching them

(and most embaressing- one time Kojak got into a box of tampons and drug out about 6 of them all over the bathroom playing with them
Colin walked in and told me to come and see what my cat had done -
)

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat toys are for humans, not for cats.

All my cats' favorite toys are not purchased from a pet store. Hmm, let's see.

Pipe cleaner
Q-Tip
Milk Rings
Tennis ball <-- that's the newest favorite

One cat loves to torment the toilet paper if it's on the TP roller. Two cats love to shred the paper towel rolls. Both the toilet paper and paper towel are stored in "safe" areas. I am just really glad they don't shred shower curtains. *grateful*

Edit:
@ Starry: Yeah!! Agreed with the hair elastics! Kelly LOVES them.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitties love stealing my chapstick and kicking it around. My kitten, Kirby, loves watching the cursor on the computer. He also likes the moving smilies on message boards and watching other kittes on youtube!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
let's see... Cable likes 'skittery' toys, so she loves ice, plastic rings, & the like. Pixel prefers soft toys - facial tissue balls, paper towel 'footballs'. Firefox really likes sparkle balls - not free, but REALLY cheap!
alas, Java likes things w/real fur, & Chip is catnip all the way. gotta buy those things!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Maybe I'm just a worrywart
You're not a worrywart. Just a concerned meowmy!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Lucy's favorite toy is anything she can knock off my desk. Then it loses her interest.
Isn't that the way of a cat? They never want what they know they can have..

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Ponytail holders- Kojak has been chased around the house numerous times for stealing them
I normally keep them all in a safe place the cats can't get into but once in a while i'll take on off and forget to put it away- it's at that point he steals them! He's even stolen them off of my ring holder by the kitchen sink before
(he's not allowed on my counters!)
I had forgotten about those...

Spiders- all the cats really enjoy torturing any spiders that sneak into the house.
ANY ole bug will do. The cats don't discriminate against those..
I can't say that I mind, though.
I hate bugs -- especially spiders!

and my very favorite - carboard boxes- they type that soft drinks come in. Colin folds them up and throws them around the house and then Fosters will play with them for hours fetching them
How could I forget about the boxes?

(and most embaressing- one time Kojak got into a box of tampons and drug out about 6 of them all over the bathroom playing with them
Colin walked in and told me to come and see what my cat had done -
)
I've had that happen, too. It can be quite embarrassing when it happens in front of company..

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jinxy loves , ball pit ball , celophane rolled up and lids lol

Benson likes anything that can possibly move lol
Jess x

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

let's see... Cable likes 'skittery' toys, so she loves ice, plastic rings, & the like.
chloe LOVES ice!
chloe got stung by a scorpion 2 summers ago, so i made her an ice pack with a ziplock baggie and some ice. she started pushing the melting ice pack around and baking biscuits on it, totally forgetting she had just been stung on the paw LOL!!
she was fascinated by the melting ice in the baggie. she pushed that thing ALL over the house until it melted, then she dragged over to me and kept looking at me, nudging it towards me until i refilled it

my kitties also like toilet paper wads, flies, crickets, (until they kill them), milk jug rings, plastic bags -- but only from walmart since they make the most noise, pop up laundry hampers, peppermints, anything they can knock off the table, batteries (after they knock the remote off and the batteries fall out), toilet paper rolls, etc