Is This Normal SOP?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in, so if it isn't, please feel free to move it to the appropriate one.

Several months ago, I had a 'run-in' with my current vet & his wife (which I posted a thread about), and b/c of it, I no longer feel comfortable with him treating my cats. I decided to find another vet, so I called the current one to ask for my cats' records. The receptionist called back and informed me that I would have to pay a fee to obtain the records. Is that normal SOP?

~KK~

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats not true, there should be no fee, I had it done for nothing, they just faxed over all records to the new Vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

IMO, that's a load of bull.
Originally Posted by aswient

Thats not true, there should be no fee, I had it done for nothing, they just faxed over all records to the new Vet.
That's what I thought. I'm thinking he's just p-o'd b/c of the run-in, and is trying to get "revenge" or something..

I need those records badly - mainly b/c of Winchester & Geronimo's FIP history, and am willing to pay the fee if I really have to. I may not like it, but it's worth it if I have to sacrifice a few bucks for my cats' health.

Thanks for responding so quickly, peeps.

~KK~

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do not pay that fee - fight it. That is ridiculous, call back & tell them you're getting a lawyer if they insist you pay the fee.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do not pay that fee - fight it. That is ridiculous, call back & tell them you're getting a lawyer if they insist you pay the fee.
I agree it's lousy, but I would be careful. My sister switched vets & her vets office "Lost" her dogs records. I would pay for them & once I had them make sure they knew, I was well aware of what they were doing.

And I believe it is normal practice for Dr.s & such to charge people for copies of their records. I know the mental health clinic I'm interning at does.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't necessarily think it's an abnormal cost - all medical offices that I know will charge for copies of their records, so I don't see why a vet's office will not charge for copies. After all, it actually does cost something in supplies and labor to copy a file - truly, it does; I work in an office and we charge clients for such administrative tasks. Now, it shouldn't be a huge amount - anything much over $1.00 per page does seem a bit much.

Are you actually asking for the records, or having them faxed directly to another vet? There may be a cost differential there. Good luck, but the important thing is to have the records transmitted correctly and entirely.

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My former Vet didn't charge anything to FAX over my pets records to the new Vet.

Around here, it is common practice for the human medical community to charge for supplying records to a new office.....but not in the animal medical community.

Sounds like the 'old' Vet is using bullying tactics.....but you might be at his mercy in case he, too, 'loses' the records. Very immature behaviour, btw. That office is certainly not thinking of your pets best interests!! Who would want a Vet like that.....spread the word (but after you get your records)

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by Rang_27

I agree it's lousy, but I would be careful. My sister switched vets & her vets office "Lost" her dogs records. I would pay for them & once I had them make sure they knew, I was well aware of what they were doing.
I thought about fighting it, but I don't want to start a ruckus at this point b/c I really need those records. And b/c of the incident, I'm worried that the vet may "mysteriously lose" the records or something as Rang mentioned. I'll post a link to the aforementioned thread so y'all will get a better understanding as to why I'm hesitant about making a fuss at this point...

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Are you actually asking for the records, or having them faxed directly to another vet? There may be a cost differential there. Good luck, but the important thing is to have the records transmitted correctly and entirely.
I'm just gonna go and pick them up. And I agree: the important thing is obtaining the records right now. I can deal with the rest of it later..

~KK~

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HOW large is the file?? the only time I have heard of a vet charging was for a HUGE file like 60 plus pages and that was only a 10 cent a page to help cover paper and ink costs

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maxiecat03

Sounds like the 'old' Vet is using bullying tactics.....but you might be at his mercy in case he, too, 'loses' the records. Very immature behaviour, btw. That office is certainly not thinking of your pets best interests!! Who would want a Vet like that.....spread the word (but after you get your records)
I think he's using "bully tactics" too, b/c he figures I'm at his mercy mainly due to Winchester & Geronimo's FIP treatments. I don't know: anything is possible. I do know that I no longer trust him as my vet, which is why I found another one. I not only no longer trust him b/c of the previous incident, but also b/c I've heard several rumors about other things, and that he's an alchoholic who treats his 'patients' while intoxicated. I never noticed him being drunk during the times I took my cats in to see him, but there were times he seemed to be really moody & grumpy. So who knows??

I really don't want to go around and say nasty things about him, but if it were me, I'd want to be informed - especially when it comes to my cats' health & welfare. I used to put in a good word about him to everyone I knew, but I will no longer recommend him to anyone. I wanted to talk to him personally about the situation, but he wouldn't even get on the phone. That would indicate to me that he's feeling "guilty" over the incident. He's always returned my phone calls before...

Sorry for venting.
This whole situation has me pretty upset..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

HOW large is the file?? the only time I have heard of a vet charging was for a HUGE file like 60 plus pages and that was only a 10 cent a page to help cover paper and ink costs
I really don't know how large it is.
But I'm presuming that it's fairly large - mainly b/c of Winchester & Geronimo and how many times we had to run them in to see the vet b/c of the FIP and all the tests/treatments.

~KK~

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some doctor's offices (vets and human doctors) do charge for records. It's just up to the individual office's policy.

By the way, going to the office in person won't necessarily mean you don't have to pay a fee. The vet will still have to make copies of the records for you; you can't just take the originals, because the vet must retain them.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I think he's using "bully tactics" too, b/c he figures I'm at his mercy mainly due to Winchester & Geronimo's FIP treatments. I don't know: anything is possible. I do know that I no longer trust him as my vet, which is why I found another one. I not only no longer trust him b/c of the previous incident, but also b/c I've heard several rumors about other things, and that he's an alchoholic who treats his 'patients' while intoxicated. I never noticed him being drunk during the times I took my cats in to see him, but there were times he seemed to be really moody & grumpy. So who knows??

I really don't want to go around and say nasty things about him, but if it were me, I'd want to be informed - especially when it comes to my cats' health & welfare. I used to put in a good word about him to everyone I knew, but I will no longer recommend him to anyone. I wanted to talk to him personally about the situation, but he wouldn't even get on the phone. That would indicate to me that he's feeling "guilty" over the incident. He's always returned my phone calls before...

Sorry for venting.
This whole situation has me pretty upset..

~KK~
It's okay to vent...this sounds like a very disturbing situation. I didn't mean to say that you should say bad things about him...but to simply not recommend him due to his treatment of the situation. It's not good to risk 'libeling' someone, but you can certainly say that he lied to you...and now won't return your phone calls in order to explain his actions.

I hope you get your records. And in time, you can just forget about him and the situation.....time heals alot of hurt feelings. I've certainly 'been there' with a dentist one time...but I switched dentists and it didn't take long where the situation just became another story to tell when talking about strange dealings with so-called professionals.

Good Luck....I hope your kitties get their treatments...that's the most important focus.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I wouldn't necessarily think it's an abnormal cost - all medical offices that I know will charge for copies of their records, so I don't see why a vet's office will not charge for copies. After all, it actually does cost something in supplies and labor to copy a file - truly, it does; I work in an office and we charge clients for such administrative tasks. Now, it shouldn't be a huge amount - anything much over $1.00 per page does seem a bit much.
i agree - altho i think $1 is too high. we're talking paper + toner costs... shouldn't be any more than a public copy place charges to copy by the page. that amount varies from place to place - but i've never seen it more than 25¢ a page anywhere at one of those.

btw - i had a suggestion for determining if it was a 'usual & customary' charge if you know anyone else that used that vet & also got copies. won't really work if you don't... you can try it, but it can backfire on you if there's not someone.

anyway, simply say [either on the phone or when you pick up the records] that you had an acquaintance who made the same request, but was supplied the record copies w/o a fee. if you say acquaintance, & they ask who, you can say you forgot the name... that's why it would work better if you actually knew someone whose name you could supply.

but that's me, being tacky. irritates me if i feel i'm being taken advantage of!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guessed at a dollar on the high end, because that's what local governmental offices charge for Freedom of Information Act copies - and, don't forget labor costs, as well as paper, toner, and possibly figuring the amortized cost of the copier as well. The labor would be the expensive part of the whole deal - and it's got to be illegal to let the patient/client make their own copies.

In any event, I hope the next vet works out much better and that your kitty feels better very soon.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would check with your state veterinary board (assuming you are in the United States--if not, the equivalent governing body) and find out what their rules are. I think most, if not all, states have rules that only allow the vet to charge a small copy fee.