Just adds to my list of worries

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I get to work and call DH because he had told me to "be aware" about the $500 rims and tires in the back of the car - to park somewhere discreet. I made sure he was talking about parking under the tree between two trucks in the back, and he said that was good. There's been some shady characters in the parking lot where I work, and stuff has been stolen from people's cars before. Then told me he was in for a surprise this morning. There are 11 bullet holes in the side of the building he works in, plus one bullet hole in a car next to the building. Just yesterday, the guys out front who own the car noticed someone busted out the back window and side window to steal a radio and speakers from it. Then this morning Rob and his boss find all those bullet holes. Now I can pile that onto my list of worries. I already worry when he's out driving by himself, there's just been so many bad accidents in this area - especially when he goes to the other parts store - it's a very dangerous stretch of road where his boss knew 4 people who've been in wrecks out there in the last 6-8 months - 3 died. I also worry a lot about someone accidentally leaving Katina out all day or coming into the driveway too quickly when she is outside, especially after what happened to Monte (even though he was WAY off the property ... people at the house just seem to fly on in and makes me worry about Katina being out when we're not home. [His mom is home all summer, and his dad is home this week, so it's not like she's being let out with NO ONE home])

When Rob started working at the place he's at now, the building out front (Scooter / Moped / ATV store) had bullet holes in the front window. That made me feel REAL good about where he was trying to get a job
It's in a bad part of North Charleston (which ranks #7 of the most dangerous cities in the US). Within a month of him working there, someone had tried to break in twice (thinking that they could get to the scooters through the part they worked in. Now the guy with that store owns the entire building). There are 3 buildings on the property - the scooter store has one, a transmission shop has the other, and the one Rob works in is a transmission parts store with a build room on the back. Last night someone put the 11 bullets into the side of the build room. I don't know if they were trying to send a message to the guy at the scooter store who owns the car with the stolen radio or if someone was just bored, walking down the street, shooting stuff to damage something.

Now I'll just worry about that during the day. Makes me wish he never left where I work ... at least shootings are rare in this area, and nothing like that has ever happened here. I even had a bagel to eat, but lost my appetite when he told me
I guess I'll be adamant about NOT working late at night there anymore (even when I'm with him). I told him he is the one who needs to carry a gun, not me (since I'm the one going through courses for carrying). He told me that it happens all over the place, and who knows what the person doing it was thinking/intending.

Sorry for all my rambling, it's kind of frightening to know he is in a building that someone shot! (None of the bullets went through, he assumes because they are on an awkward angle they must have hit the beams in the steel building. If it hadn't been, they probably would have penetrated the wall - even scarier if someone had been in there!) I wonder if someone doesn't like the guy who owns the scooter store! (Stealing his radio, shooting his car once and then the building maybe thinking it was his...)

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

I wonder if someone doesn't like the guy who owns the scooter store! (Stealing his radio, shooting his car once and then the building maybe thinking it was his...)
That is probably the cause of all of this. Try not to worry too much

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they locate any shell casings?? With the economy the way it is and scooters/mopeds being real popular this store is probably a target for thieves. (not making you feel better am I). Does the owner have a security system??

Where my husband works one if their parking lots their share with a thrift store and the local food pantry is about 1/2 block away. Everyone has been told to lock up and stow items in trunk if parking their.

While there are many desparate people out there remember there are also lots of good ones too!! Its hard to worry about stuff you have no control over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Did they locate any shell casings?? With the economy the way it is and scooters/mopeds being real popular this store is probably a target for thieves. (not making you feel better am I). Does the owner have a security system??

Where my husband works one if their parking lots their share with a thrift store and the local food pantry is about 1/2 block away. Everyone has been told to lock up and stow items in trunk if parking their.

While there are many desparate people out there remember there are also lots of good ones too!! Its hard to worry about stuff you have no control over.
I'm not sure if they found any casings. He hadn't mentioned it on the phone to me. He didn't seem too worried at all
I think he thinks I'm a worry-wart
People have broken into or attempted to break into the scooter store quite a few times over the last 1.5 years. Rob and his boss used to share a building with the guy, and then the scooter guy wanted the entire thing. Rob's boss ended up selling the other two buildings to the guys who rented them, and now they only work in the transmission parts store building - and built that extra room that was shot onto the back for transmission rebuilding.

I do know the scooter guy makes A LOT of money - people are constantly streaming in and out buying scooters/mopeds for themselves, and little atv's for their kids. I'm wondering if he aggravated the wrong person or something. First his radio and speakers, now this happening the next day... I'd love to sit here and think they are angry with him - no one has any reason to be mad at DH (or his boss for that matter). With all the theft/attempted theft at the scooter place, I'm thinking someone either just didn't realize the buildings were different businesses (they shot the building from a road that runs behind it), or they just didn't care and wanted to destruct SOMETHING.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm at the hubby's work now. Took a look at the bullet holes, and they're randomly placed on the outside of the building. Basically looks like someone just want to cause damage to something. Being a
. They were .22 caliber rounds.

When the cops came to investigate, there were people standing on the little street where the shots came from. They were snickering and talking while the cops examined the outside of the building. So the cops went over to them and asked if they had seen or heard any gun shots in the last couple days. They said they didn't. A few feet away from where these people were standing were 12 shell casing. Well 12 total bullet holes (11 in the building, 1 in a car) generally would leave 12 shell casings, wouldn't they?

The guy at the scooter store talked to the cops and they have a few leads. If they find the right person/people, Rob's boss will have the opportunity to file charges (ie: property damage, reckless use of a firearm, etc). So I'm less worried now about someone trying to shoot anyone in particular. Of course, around here, all you have to do is aggravate the wrong person and for all you know, you'll be on the wrong end of a gun.

I think it was the idiots behind the shop who did it. Why else would there be 12 shell casings outside their house, where they were standing, watching and laughing. Stupid f-

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd be concerned, as well. Rob's not because... well, probably, because he's a GUY!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i'd be concerned, as well. Rob's not because... well, probably, because he's a GUY!
He sees it as people screwing around with guns. Which of course is EXTREMELY unsafe regardless of when they do it and who is or isnt around! I took a gun safety course a few weeks ago and learned a lot of great things, and I cant believe how careless some people are. I AM glad that they have a lead on who did it (more than likely the people right behind the building, who had the shell casings IN THEIR YARD, and were laughing while the cops were looking around).

One of the new cops that showed up asked if they should call CSI
It made Rob chuckle, and me too when he told me.

Either way, I still worry in the back of my mind because I know how terrible of an area he works in. I really wish he DIDN'T work there, but he loves his job enough to look past the area its in. And if he is happy there, I am happy. Chances of something happening to him randomly probably aren't that great anyway - just about every homicide in that area is drug related or someone just arguing over something dumb.