types of cats/personalities

dawnalina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm curious about everyone's opinion on whether certain types of cats have particular traits. For example, someone told me orange tabbys were super affectionate (mine is). And I heard that torties have 'tude! hee! Somone told me calicos like to dominate (true? IDK) Anything else? I know it's not always the case, but what do you think?

stormy55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm ONLY speaking from personal experience, but almost all of the calicos/torties I have met have been skittish/have an attitude. I have met a couple extremely sweet ones though, so not ALL calicos/torties have an attitude, it just seems like the majority do. I've never thought about it, but now that I do, all the orange tabbies I have ever met have been very friendly

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Russian Blues are not only skittish, but quite sensitive and need people who are not just 'rough 'n ready' but who are patient, understanding and who won't try to completely change the cat's nature, plus can keep the atmosphere relatively quiet most of the time, though still interact a lot to play.

emeraldsongbird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, if I have anything to say about it, black cats are super divas and play hard to get

Haha that may not be the case with all black cats, but me and my good friend both have a black female cat, and one minute they're prancing around like they don't need anyone or anybody, and showing off, and the next they're snuggled right up against your heart.

stormy55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EmeraldSongbird

Well, if I have anything to say about it, black cats are super divas and play hard to get

Haha that may not be the case with all black cats, but me and my good friend both have a black female cat, and one minute they're prancing around like they don't need anyone or anybody, and showing off, and the next they're snuggled right up against your heart.

My black cat is like that also!

emeraldsongbird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Stormy55

My black cat is like that also!
lol Isn't it great? Last night, Bella didn't want to come near me, she was more interested in terrorizing the frogs. This morning, I wake up to find her cuddled right against my chest. Sweetest thing ever! But I love her personality, wouldn't trade it for anything.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe true for certain breeds? IDK.

My baby is a former feral tuxedo female. She's like an orca in so many ways. I sometime wonder if I should've named her "Shamu"

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
speaking from personal experience: my calico is one of the sweetest, non-dominant cats i've ever known. my patched tabby/torbie is a toot - & def has some torbietude.
my alpha cat, tho, w/'tude out the wazoo, is a black/silver mackeral tabby female!
my black boy is my most affectionate cat!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the rexes (Devon or Cornish) are very people oriented and in your lap cats. Ocicats are not really lap cats but do like to interact with you.

I found that males are more outgoing and loving to people then females - this is in mixed breeds or pedigrees. That's why if given the choice, I'd choose a male over a female.