Originally Posted by Rotobay
Okay, Roxsam, I think this is exactly what is happening with my cat. But I just spoke to the vet and they are telling me it is impossible......not rare, but impossible! They said there is no such thing as a spaying that "doesn't take" and they're acting like they think I'm some kind of nut! What do you think I should do? Should I push it with that vet or find someone new?
Also, I didn't feel any wetness when I tried to check for discharge. I actually think this heat cycle is over --it started about a week ago, and she's stopped the constant calling and propositioning. So should I wait for another heat cycle?? Or is there some kind of test that can be done when she's no longer in heat?
Thanks for any advice!!
She's probably over her cycle and that's why there is no wetness. You never know when her next cycle may be (at least I didnt for Roxy, it didn't happen again for a LONG time again!). My vets also initially thought I was a complete nut! Kept asking me what she was doing over and over and then would say "well it does sound like she is in heat"...well YES she is, that's what I told you! lol!!!)
If she is not in a heat cycle you cannot do a definitive diagnosis to figure out if she was in heat. It certainly is NOT impossible!! It can happen with anything you remove (ovaries, cancer, etc) if you leave as much as ONE cell behind, over time it can regrow and cause symptoms again. In your case, since she went into heat so fast, I would think they left in a little more than just one cell! As far as them tying the tubes...if they told you it was impossible that she went into heat than they obviously did more than just tied them.
I would call your vet again (did you actually talk to a vet?) or stop by, and talk to the vet who did the surgery. Ask what type of spay they did, explain again what your cat was doing and ask if there is a possibility that some tissue was left behind. Also add you do know for a fact that this has happened to someone's cat!! If the vet says there is no way and does not want to do anything about it next time she is in heat then get copies of her chart and start calling around other vets. (For the record, my vet did not want to believe it either but did at least ask to see her and do tests. NONE of which I paid for!). IF she does say this is a possibility, ask her what and when they will do something about it.
If you are not satisfied with any of the vet's responses I would start to look for another vet. And get copies of her charts regardless, just in case when she goes in heat again your vet decided not to help. Have a backup vet lined up (maybe call around now to see if any of them would believe you and help you) so you can get her in somewhere when you need to. For exploratory on a spayed cat in heat, time is of the essence as the cycle is not very long...you need to get in confirmation tests and surgery completed before the cycle is up!
Let me know if you need anything. I know how frustrating the situation can be!!