"Poison Free" Ant Killer Safe for Cats?

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just moved to an apartment and have discovered that there are a bunch of ants living under the carpeting and I am sick of the steady stream of ants on my carpet when they come out. I would love to kill them with a spray, but of course would rather deal with the ants than put the cats in jeopardy. Has anyone used this product, that claims to be poison free? Listed ingredients are mint oil, mineral oil, lecithin, CO2 - would you use this around your cats? http://www.planetnatural.com/site/ant-roach-killer.html (seems like it would be harmless.....the cats do like to lay around the area I'd spray)

Or any other ideas for cat-safe ant killing?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like it would probably be ok... altho my Java is big mint fan - she'd probably try to lick it up!
other ideas - many people seem to have good luck w/food-grade diatomaceous earth. i found some at my local feed store, but it's also sold online. even if the kitties ingest it, it won't harm them.
food-grade DE

artesian79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to look into the baits that the ants take back to their nests. The ones I have are enclosed except for small holes where the ants go in. If you put these where the ants are running you'll get rid of them quickly.

If you think yours would play with the container, try putting a fence of some sort around it. If the ants are under the sink put the traps in there and tie the handles together to prevent the cats from getting in.

That said, I guess I haven't had any inside since I've gotten the cats. I know the sprays I use outside, and my cats are allowed outside on tethers, are safe for pets after they dry. I've stopped using the pellet types now that I have cats.

Have you asked you landlord to pull the carpet up to see how much of problem there is? If it is a large nest it might be easier to have them pull it out. I'd think local housing authorities could help with requiring them to do this if they balk.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

sounds like it would probably be ok... altho my Java is big mint fan - she'd probably try to lick it up!
other ideas - many people seem to have good luck w/food-grade diatomaceous earth. i found some at my local feed store, but it's also sold online. even if the kitties ingest it, it won't harm them.
food-grade DE
I'm a big fan of DE - I got rid of ants with it within an hour.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artesian79

You might want to look into the baits that the ants take back to their nests. The ones I have are enclosed except for small holes where the ants go in. If you put these where the ants are running you'll get rid of them quickly.
My friend recently had to take his cat and dog to the emergency vet because they played with the ant baits with the little hole openings. Personally, I wouldn't use them even if I could surround them.

I'm also looking for something safe. I'm taking Maxx for his semi annual check up this saturday. Maybe I'll ask the vet what they recommend.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't use the baits either - anything that's poison would be a no-no in my house.

Laureen's suggestion of DE (diatomaceous earth) is excellent. I have used this product with excellent results and there are no worries about whether or not the cat licks it or ingests it. I also used it on a large anthill in our yard and the ants are gone!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I wouldn't use the baits either - anything that's poison would be a no-no in my house.

Laureen's suggestion of DE (diatomaceous earth) is excellent. I have used this product with excellent results and there are no worries about whether or not the cat licks it or ingests it. I also used it on a large anthill in our yard and the ants are gone!
Yes diatomaceous earth is amazing! Get the Perma-Guard Fossil Shell. That is the food grade one that is safe for humans and animals.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Where do you get this stuff?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used the orginal link for ages ... the wasp one works too... it basically contains dish soap and mint

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am another one who swears by Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade). Its good for all insects, including fleas and is perfectly fine for our animals.