Opinion about cat throwing up

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so my two boys don't throw up much, maybe once every three or four months. But of course each time they do I panic!!! So tomorrow I'm leaving on a three day business trip and tonight Santo got sick and it was pretty much solid food chunks that came up. About an hour before that I saw him playing with something on the kitchen floor but didn't really think anything of it. So I'm HOPING that whatever it was that he played with/ate was what made him sick. He seems to be fine now as he's been running around some with Ernie and is just purring away as I pet him in my lap. Of course I am leaving town tomorrow and will worry about him, but I'm hoping that is just being an over-crazed parent. LOL I will have my friend come check on the boys while I'm gone.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
just like humans on occation cats get tummy issues

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could be anything.

Food chunks sounds like either a tummy upset or eating some thing that made your kitty gag
Jess x

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that pukes a lot and always has. No vet has found anything wrong with him. I'm hoping switching to raw grain-free food will help.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've read that if the vomit is solid food particles as opposed to liquid then it is actually considered "regurgitating" rather than vomiting and is often just a case of the cat eating too fast. My ol' tomcat Bubba (who passed away one year ago today) used to do it all the time.

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what my Yoshi does. He gobbles up his food and any other cat's food that he can snatch away from them, and then he pukes.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike

I've read that if the vomit is solid food particles as opposed to liquid then it is actually considered "regurgitating" rather than vomiting and is often just a case of the cat eating too fast.
This is what I suspected with my 12-yr old, Phoebe. What she upchucked was whole dry food...the large T/D from Hills. She simply wasn't chewing it....so I guess it wasn't doing her teeth any good....
.....that stuff was too expensive to be throwing out.....but all's well that ends well....she's now back to wet food mainly and small kibble.....and no upchucking..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orltwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everyone's reply!!! I am happy to report that before I left home today the two boys were chasing each other around the house with their tails on fire, so it must have just been a tummy ache thing or something. I was just concerned because I have never witnessed Santo throwing up before. Just call me a over-protective cat owner! LOL