I'm back In Business!!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to the intellingence of my darlin' genuis son, I now have my computer running again!!
He & my precious granddaughter came to visit from Wisconsin for a couple of weeks, and while he was here, he got it running again.
He also sold me his digital camera for a good price, b/c his girlfriend already has one and he didn't need two of them. So now I can take plenty of pix (and videos) too!

Needless to say, I'm more than a little excited!
You don't know how much you miss something till you don't have it.

When I get things organized a little, I'll post some pix of the kittens.

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you got things working again.
And I agree, it's so boring when your comp is broken.

A bit of advice to you and everyone else. Make or download and burn a boot disc.
If there is ever a OS or hard drive issue you can boot up your computer and run it from the disc - no hard drive needed. I had to do this for a bit and it kept me sane.
You can also use it to check where a problem may be.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Thanks to the intellingence of my darlin' genuis son, I now have my computer running again!!
He & my precious granddaughter came to visit from Wisconsin for a couple of weeks, and while he was here, he got it running again.
He also sold me his digital camera for a good price, b/c his girlfriend already has one and he didn't need two of them. So now I can take plenty of pix (and videos) too!

Needless to say, I'm more than a little excited!
You don't know how much you miss something till you don't have it.

When I get things organized a little, I'll post some pix of the kittens.

~KK~
The KatKwiz and KatKwery Kats are very happy to have another KK back in action!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I'm glad you got things working again.
And I agree, it's so boring when your comp is broken.
Yes, I was bored out of my mind!
I'm not one who can just sit around and watch TV all the time. I still had my WebTV to use, but that just about drove me NUTS
b/c it's sooooo slow! And you can't do even half the stuff w/ webTV as you can w/ a computer!

A bit of advice to you and everyone else. Make or download and burn a boot disc.
If there is ever a OS or hard drive issue you can boot up your computer and run it from the disc - no hard drive needed. I had to do this for a bit and it kept me sane.
You can also use it to check where a problem may be.
My son mentioned something about that, but unfortunately, we can't afford something like that right now.
(I'm assuming you're talking about the same thing he was: some kind of box that you can load everything on to..
). But I did learn something: back up anything you want to keep on a disc, or you might lose it!
I did have some things saved on discs thankfully, but not everything.

But I'm just happy that he was able to fix it!
It probably would have been awhile before we could have afforded to buy a new one!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

The KatKwiz and KatKwery Kats are very happy to have another KK back in action!
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Welcome back
Thanks, guys!
I'm happy to BE back!!

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

My son mentioned something about that, but unfortunately, we can't afford something like that right now.
(I'm assuming you're talking about the same thing he was: some kind of box that you can load everything on to..
). But I did learn something: back up anything you want to keep on a disc, or you might lose it!
I did have some things saved on discs thankfully, but not everything.
No, not that at all! He must have been referring to back up hard drive.

What I'm referring to is a cdr with an ISO (image file) burnt to it. If you're not afraid to step away from Windows, Knoppix (linux) is a popular live cd that you can put in your rom drive and boot right up - OS, browser, and programs included. If you don't have a cd burner ask your son about making you a nice boot disc in case you need it for future use. The ISO is free to download, of course. Again, something everyone should consider making for themselves. I think there are Windows ones (and you have the option to make a basic one within windows), but I doubt they have any included programs.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, not that at all! He must have been referring to back up hard drive.

What I'm referring to is a cdr with an ISO (image file) burnt to it. If you're not afraid to step away from Windows, Knoppix (linux) is a popular live cd that you can put in your rom drive and boot right up - OS, browser, and programs included. If you don't have a cd burner ask your son about making you a nice boot disc in case you need it for future use. The ISO is free to download, of course. Again, something everyone should consider making for themselves. I think there are Windows ones (and you have the option to make a basic one within windows), but I doubt they have any included programs.
Well all this computer mumbo-jumbo is over my head!
I'm still fairly new to all of this, and was just beginning to learn when the computer crashed.
But I'm learning..

I'll ask my son about it the next time I talk to him. Thanks for the input, StrangeWings!

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ You'll learn
Everyone has to start somewhere. Glad to have you back, and hopefully you'll be around for a while. In other words - You better behave yourself KittKatt's compy!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

^ You'll learn
Everyone has to start somewhere.
Yes, they do.
I've actully learned a lot more at this point than I ever thought I would.

Glad to have you back, and hopefully you'll be around for a while. In other words - You better behave yourself KittKatt's compy!
I'm very happy to be back, thanks!

~KK~