Bad experiance at the Chiropractor

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I went to the chiropractor for the first time this AM before work, by noon I was in so much pain I had tears in my eyes! I couldn't think anymore, the pain was blinding!

By three I was back in the chiropractors office getting a gentle soft tissue massage and electrical stimulation. I've been home since alternating ice and heat per his instructaions. He said that I apparently I am very sensitive to the adjustments and that he will now only work on me using the same pressure he uses on infants (I hope that made sence!)

I still hurt a lot, but at least I can move my head now

Anyone ever have a smilar experiance? Should I go back?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he manipulate your neck?

I've been to chiropractors and they don't twist the neck anymore, they use a metal instrument that acts like a mini hammer or something.

Anyway, I think you should go back. As someone who has been through both physiotherapy and chiropractic treatment, I've had much better, quicker and mroe long term relief from a chiropractor than I have a physiotherapist, unless that physiotherpist was trained in spinal manipulation like a chiropractor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Did he manipulate your neck?

I've been to chiropractors and they don't twist the neck anymore, they use a metal instrument that acts like a mini hammer or something.

Anyway, I think you should go back. As someone who has been through both physiotherapy and chiropractic treatment, I've had much better, quicker and mroe long term relief from a chiropractor than I have a physiotherapist, unless that physiotherpist was trained in spinal manipulation like a chiropractor.
He did adjust my neck but apparently he can't use that hammer thingy on the adult setting, only the infant setting

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh wow! I swear by my chiropractor. That has never happened but that is scary!
Usually for me it's the opposite, I go in with back pain and come out feeling amazing!!!!

Although I've been going since I was 7. Goodluck and I hope you feel better

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why were you going in the first place?

Maybe you should try going to a DO, if you are in America. They are like a regular MD but with an emphasis on osteopathy. (In other countries, DO's are sorta pseudodoctors, in the US they have a lot more training and licensure and can pretty much do anything a doctor can).

My dad used to go to chiropractors, and they were all nutjobs who did more harm than good. I know they aren't all that way, and the regulations have improved, but. I guess I just can't forget the horrible diet I had as a kid resulting from chiropractors telling my dad he was allergic to like everything but the blandest, untastiest foods. His back pain only got worse, and IMO they did permanent damage while convincing him it was the result of free radicals or some such bizarrity.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

Usually for me it's the opposite, I go in with back pain and come out feeling amazing!!!!

I've been going to a chiropractor for years, whenever my back goes out of whack, and it always helped me -- until recently, that is. But I have a deteriorating spinal condition, and am at the point where not much of anything helps anymore..

There are good ones and bad ones. The first chiropractor I went to was a quack, so I found a different one. I've had three different chiropractors since the first one, and they've all been good ones. If your chiropractor caused more harm than good, I would recommend finding another one. They are out there..

I hope you get to feeling better soon! I know how horrible back pain can be..

~KK~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of people whom I really trust who go to him, I don't think he's a quack, i just think he over estimated waht my body could handle, and he did make me feel a TON better after I went back this afternoon! I think I'll hang in there at least a little longer

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sillyitiliangrl

He said that I apparently I am very sensitive to the adjustments and that he will now only work on me using the same pressure he uses on infants (I hope that made sence!)
I hope he was joking... because if anyone is trying to "adjust" an infant's skeleton (short of there being a dislocated joint) then they should be sued and locked up!

I'm completely against chiros. There's too many nerves in the back and neck to risk it. If there is already narrowing or disc issues due to DDD, then it can cause serious problems. And a fun little fact, there's a nerve that goes through part of your neck, damage it and you can have serious body wide issues seemingly unrelated to your neck - such as heart rate and GI problems.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first and last time I went to a chiro he adjusted my neck and I had an awful headache for two days afterward!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, I hope he didnt charge you for the second appointment.
I've been to a chiropractor, and it didnt make it worse. I would suggest maybe trying a different one, each chiropractor has their own style, maybe the guy you tried just wasnt right for you.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been to one, but my mom went went (granted this was over 20 years ago) and she couldn't walk afterwards for almost 3 months. I'm sure the practice is much better now, but I still wouldn't go to one. Now, a deep muscle massage is something else. Anyone can work the muscles around my spine, but start messing with the spine itself is another story. Just my opinion though.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

And a fun little fact, there's a nerve that goes through part of your neck, damage it and you can have serious body wide issues seemingly unrelated to your neck - such as heart rate and GI problems.
the vagus nerve?
i've gone on occasion... when i've strained my back. been to more than one type, as well. some have helped - others haven't. really depends, IMO.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been treated by many, many chiropractors... some good, some bad. My last one was bad and have no desire to go back unless i know I can trust him/her implicitly. I had one down in the SF bay Area who was AMAZING. I still miss him. I don't trust any of them that use the 'drop' tables... the multi-part tables that each part can move... flat regular tables only. Also, that hammer thing is useless to some people, like me. I also don't react well to the 'extra' treatments some chiros use... heat/ice and adjustment, period. Anything else sends me into pain like nothing else. I've had the quacks... I do my best to gauge each one when I first talk to them. I know what I want and won't settle for other stuff. I don't do chiro anymore... the last girl adjusted my neck, but didn't have my chart on her... she thought I was going to be someone else... even though I'd made my appt hours before. She adjusted my neck and did something wrong... I've had headaches even worse than before, ever since. I'd have to get many references before letting another one come near me. I go to massage therapy now... although, I'm tempted to visit my old one again down in CA next time i visit... let him fix me up... I really miss him...

Good luck... I'd ask for a chance to sit down and discuss what happened... and don't let him do all the talking... you tell him how you felt. I'd also keep a 'log' of the pain... again, good luck!

Amanda

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am convinced that a chiropractor caused the premature death of a friend. He fell at his job, and was doing fine with his regular doctor, then he decided to see a chiro and was dead in a week. My dh used to go to one, and it didn't to him any good at all. A good massage therapist can be as much help as a chiroprator, without causing all the pain.
When I went back to school for massage therapy, One of my teachers was a chiropractor, and for some reason, he always picked me to demonstrate on. I was terrified he was going to break my neck a couple of times. If I could have dropped that class, I would have, but it was for sports massage. I don't use but one thing he taught on my clients, I don't like the thought of bending my clients into pretzels.
You couldn't beat me hard enough to go to one.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, just opinion here!!!

Around our house, we call them "quacktopractors." All the ones I've known were certifiable quacks and kooks, and usually conspiracy theorists, too. I know that having consulted regularly with a chiropractor is a disqualifier for many trucking jobs; those drivers tend to be the hypochondriacs looking for a disability claim.

There...have I offended anyone?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

OK, just opinion here!!!

Around our house, we call them "quacktopractors." All the ones I've known were certifiable quacks and kooks, and usually conspiracy theorists, too. I know that having consulted regularly with a chiropractor is a disqualifier for many trucking jobs; those drivers tend to be the hypochondriacs looking for a disability claim.

There...have I offended anyone?
What business is it exactly of the trucking employers? Isn't there some sort of privacy law that says that it is not the business of the employer to know the medical particulars of the employees?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah, chiropractors! You either love 'em or you hate 'em. I used to have occasional back pain if I over-extended myself - went to a chiropractor and ended up with chronic back pain. I have friends who swear by their chiropractor but I stay as far away from them as possible. They've done enough damage to me already and I'm no sucker for punishment.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first chiropractor I ever went to was when I had a neck problem in high school. My mother took me to this guy who left me in serious pain. I refused to go back to him, so my mother took me to another one. I didn't want to go, but it turned out that he was wonderful. I won't see anybody but him now.

If this guy's hurting you maybe you need to find a different one. He may be fine for your friends, but it sounds like he's not the right one for you.

I think chiropractic can be useful for the stuff that it makes logical sense it would be useful for...things like back pain, etc. But they're not the doctor I'd want to see for GI problems or cancer. You just have to use some common sense.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

What business is it exactly of the trucking employers? Isn't there some sort of privacy law that says that it is not the business of the employer to know the medical particulars of the employees?
They can ask the question in the application. If it gets answered yes, they're rejected. If it gets left blank, they're rejected.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

They can ask the question in the application. If it gets answered yes, they're rejected. If it gets left blank, they're rejected.
What if it's blank because they have no idea what a chiropractor is?