OMG!!! Worst Pain Ever!!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I woke up sweating and had this weird back pain. I got up and realized it was a whole pain in my middle from my front to my back. I could barely breathe.
I wasn't really nauseated, but went into the bathroom for a while. I was literally dripping with sweat, and I belched a couple of times, but that was it. (sorry if TMI).

Then after I don't know how long - 30 to 45 minunte, I think - I finally threw up - it didn't really feel like that was the problem, although food poisoning did cross my mind. But I laid back down and awoke a couple hours later feeling PERFECT. Any ideas? I sure hope it NEVER happens again, it was really painful.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no Kim...

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
I hope you feel better soon...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Speak to your doctor!!!!!!!
(((hugs))) Thank you Sarah. I may mention it, but I'm on vaca in the mountains right now. Of course it has to be on vacation. I have an idea what it could be but thought I'd throw it out there.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GI pain is horrible. You're on some pretty tough meds aren't you? If so - some do have the side effects of causing GI issues so it would be worth getting that checked out.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like that pain I had a few weeks ago and posted about. I thought maybe food poisoning when it happened a few weeks ago also. I know what you mean about it being so bad.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow that does sound bad.

You may have a very very minor case of irritable bowl syndrome ... that a food has triggered

I used to have this until i was hospitalized with what doctors thought was append ictus and was actually irritable bowl syndrome , i now take medication and barely have a problem..
Jess x

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that too. Also usually while I'm asleep, and also usually goes away pretty soon.

I think it's just gas. People underestimate it, only to go to the ER and be convinced they're dying, and then have a doctor tell them it's gas.

Not that it makes it feel any better! I agree, if it happens more than once in a blue moon or you get any other symptoms, hie thee hence to the doctor!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds eerily similar to a gall bladder attack to me...
Biliary Pain

The mildest and most common symptom of gallbladder disease is intermittent pain called biliary colic , which occurs either in the mid- or the right portion of the upper abdomen. A typical attack has several features:
  • The primary symptom is typically a steady gripping or gnawing pain in the upper right abdomen near the rib cage, which can be quite severe and can radiate to the upper back. Some patients with biliary colic experience the pain behind the breast bone.
  • Nausea or vomiting may occur.
  • Changes in position, over-the-counter pain relievers, and passage of gas do not relieve the symptoms.
  • Biliary colic typically disappears after 1 to several hours. If it persists beyond this point then acute cholecystitis or more serious conditions may be present.
  • The episodes typically occur at the same time of day but less frequently than once a week. Large or fatty meals can precipitate the pain, but it usually occurs several hours after eating and often wakes the patient during the night.
  • Recurrence is common but attacks can be years apart. In one study, for example, 30% of people who had had 1 or 2 attacks experienced no further biliary pain over the next 10 years.
Digestive complaints such as belching, feeling unduly full after meals, bloating, heartburn (burning feeling behind the breast bone), or regurgitation (acid back-up in the food pipe) are not likely to be caused by gallbladder disease. Conditions that may cause these symptoms include peptic ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux disease, or indigestion of unknown cause. [For more information, see In-Depth Reports #19 Peptic Ulcers or #85 Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.]
Symptoms of Gallbladder Inflammation (Acute Cholecystitis)

Between 1 - 3% of people with symptomatic gallstones develop inflammation in the gallbladder ( acute cholecystitis ), which occurs when stones or sludge obstruct the duct. The symptoms are similar to those of biliary colic but are more persistent and severe. They include the following:
  • Pain in the upper right abdomen is severe and constant and can last for days. Pain frequently increases when drawing a breath.
  • Pain also may radiate to the back or occur under the shoulder blades, behind the breast bone, or on the left side.
  • About a third of patients have fever and chills.
  • Nausea and vomiting may occur.
Anyone who experiences such symptoms should seek medical attention. Infection develops in about 20% of these cases, which increases the danger. Acute cholecystitis can progress to gangrene or perforation of the gallbladder if left untreated. (People with diabetes are at particular risk for serious complications.)

from this link: http://www.umm.edu/patiented/article...e_000010_2.htm

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow - that's a lot of info!

I hope you figure out what it is.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kim, just promise me that if you get it again you go to a doctor. Anything that feels like "wosrt pain ever" needs to be seen.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

sounds eerily similar to a gall bladder attack to me...
Biliary Pain

The mildest and most common symptom of gallbladder disease is intermittent pain called biliary colic , which occurs either in the mid- or the right portion of the upper abdomen. A typical attack has several features:
  • The primary symptom is typically a steady gripping or gnawing pain in the upper right abdomen near the rib cage, which can be quite severe and can radiate to the upper back. Some patients with biliary colic experience the pain behind the breast bone.
  • Nausea or vomiting may occur.
  • Changes in position, over-the-counter pain relievers, and passage of gas do not relieve the symptoms.
  • Biliary colic typically disappears after 1 to several hours. If it persists beyond this point then acute cholecystitis or more serious conditions may be present.
  • The episodes typically occur at the same time of day but less frequently than once a week. Large or fatty meals can precipitate the pain, but it usually occurs several hours after eating and often wakes the patient during the night.
  • Recurrence is common but attacks can be years apart. In one study, for example, 30% of people who had had 1 or 2 attacks experienced no further biliary pain over the next 10 years.
Digestive complaints such as belching, feeling unduly full after meals, bloating, heartburn (burning feeling behind the breast bone), or regurgitation (acid back-up in the food pipe) are not likely to be caused by gallbladder disease. Conditions that may cause these symptoms include peptic ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux disease, or indigestion of unknown cause. [For more information, see In-Depth Reports #19 Peptic Ulcers or #85 Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.]
Symptoms of Gallbladder Inflammation (Acute Cholecystitis)

Between 1 - 3% of people with symptomatic gallstones develop inflammation in the gallbladder ( acute cholecystitis ), which occurs when stones or sludge obstruct the duct. The symptoms are similar to those of biliary colic but are more persistent and severe. They include the following:
  • Pain in the upper right abdomen is severe and constant and can last for days. Pain frequently increases when drawing a breath.
  • Pain also may radiate to the back or occur under the shoulder blades, behind the breast bone, or on the left side.
  • About a third of patients have fever and chills.
  • Nausea and vomiting may occur.
Anyone who experiences such symptoms should seek medical attention. Infection develops in about 20% of these cases, which increases the danger. Acute cholecystitis can progress to gangrene or perforation of the gallbladder if left untreated. (People with diabetes are at particular risk for serious complications.)

from this link: http://www.umm.edu/patiented/article...e_000010_2.htm
Laureen, that's exactly what I thought it was. It seemed very strange for the pain to go away so quickly, and I also have been on a low fat diet and fell off the wagon a little bit last night. If there is any repeat of that I will definitely call the doctor. It is scary just remembering it.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Laureen's suggestion of a gall bladder attack. That's exactly how I used to feel when I used to have mine, before I had surgery and had it removed -- the intense pain, and feeling better after I threw up. The attacks would come & go, and towards the end prior to having surgery the attacks were almost every day - usually after I ate something. If they continue to reoccur and get worse, I would see a doctor. Apparenty gall bladder surgery isn't what it used to be, and they usually don't need to make a big incision anymore like they did in the "old days"..

I hope it's nothing serious!

~KK~

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah Kim, keep an eye on it and make sure to take care of yourself if you think it's starting again or if it hits again! that it was just bad gas though!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned a little more subtly earlier but it seems to have been ignored... Weren't you diagnosed with RA? If so, are you on a DMARD - look up the potential side effects, they do include gastritis.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Apparenty gall bladder surgery isn't what it used to be, and they usually don't need to make a big incision anymore like they did in the "old days"..
i mentioned gall bladder because i had a similar attack [just the one, thank goodness!] in the summer of 2001... really frightened me at the time [i live alone] to the point i almost called an ambulance. lasted about 30-45 minutes... i didn't throw up, but had the cold sweats, no position improved it, etc.
when i told my doctor [made an appointment asap] he asked if it was immediately or during a meal, or later [it'd been 1-2 hours]. he said gall bladder - i went for an ultrasound - they said it was "packed" with stones, & i had it removed [laparoscopically]. 5 little 'stab' wounds, only needed bandaids lol.
good side of this - i hadn't had surgery since the age of 3, & was unsure about weightloss surgery since i wasn't sure how i would do [anesthesia, etc]. i had no problems - this encouraged me to pursue the WLS.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I mentioned a little more subtly earlier but it seems to have been ignored... Weren't you diagnosed with RA? If so, are you on a DMARD - look up the potential side effects, they do include gastritis.
Sorry I didn't respond.
I thought that was very sweet that you rememberd my RA
It's really weird because just day before yesterday someone was mentioning to me how vicodin is hard on the stomach, and I had told him that so far my stomach was ok. My DMARD is Plaquenil. I'm off to look up side effects. I also have an appointment in a week with my RA doctor, so I'll definitely be bringing it up!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i mentioned gall bladder because i had a similar attack [just the one, thank goodness!] in the summer of 2001... really frightened me at the time [i live alone] to the point i almost called an ambulance. lasted about 30-45 minutes... i didn't throw up, but had the cold sweats, no position improved it, etc.
when i told my doctor [made an appointment asap] he asked if it was immediately or during a meal, or later [it'd been 1-2 hours]. he said gall bladder - i went for an ultrasound - they said it was "packed" with stones, & i had it removed [laparoscopically]. 5 little 'stab' wounds, only needed bandaids lol.
good side of this - i hadn't had surgery since the age of 3, & was unsure about weightloss surgery since i wasn't sure how i would do [anesthesia, etc]. i had no problems - this encouraged me to pursue the WLS.
That's a good thing to know. I had a little pain again a couple hours ago after eating a salad, and it wasn't nearly as bad as this morning. But it was not how I normally feel after a meal.
Guess I'll see the doctor when I get back to town this week.