Moving....again

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was so excited to move to OH 2 months ago and now I am moving back to WV, and let me tell ya, it is so expensive! I don't know if I will be able to do it in the time frame (by August 1) that I want to do it in because I have to come up with almost $5000 just to leave this place and put my deposit on a new place! I depleted my savings to move out here. Of course, probably about $1500 of that $5000 will come back to me, but I still have to have it upfront. Of course, leaving the cats behind is never an option so that's what makes it so much more expensive. I think I am really going to have to brainstorm to figure out how to get that much money. Well, actually I will probably end up staying here longer than what I wanted to because I could pay just my rent for here for August and then pay the deposit and all of that for the new apartment. Not to mention I have family coming to help me move back and I need to give them money for helping me move (at least gas money). So this move will cost me around $6000 total with a truck, gas, and all of that stuff. I just want to go home

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending vibes that everything works out.

Do you have any family that you can stay with for a month or 2 to get back on your feet? We moved to Southern California in 2000, and it cost $3000 just to move out there, plus another couple thousand for our apartment. We found out we couldn't afford it out there, and my in-laws helped us move back. We lived with DH's parents for a few months to get back on our feet (they welcomed our 2 cats too, even though our cats were complete snots to their cat
). As soon as we could we got an apartment --to be honest I took the first one that said we could have 3 cats.
My in-laws are very generous that they helped us like they did, and I will forever be appreciative that they didn't leave us to end up in dire straits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sister already offered to let me live with her, but they live in a small trailer with 2 kids and 2 cats. I don't think my cats would be very happy with that arrangement-- neither of them seem to like kids. And, this is a big one for me, her cats have fleas. She is treating them but it takes a while to get rid of them. The town I am moving back to is a college town so if you don't get an apartment now, you're not going to get one. I was really suprised that I was able to find an apartment this late in the summer!

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww, Jo! So sorry you are going through this!! Just hang in there and things WILL start working out, even though you cannot see any light at the end right now! And this really will make you a ton stronger in the end. Any friends or other family besides your sister that you can stay with? Did you already sign for your new apartment? Can you take on a PT job to help with costs? Just ideas, but I'm sure you have thought of them already.

Stay strong...!!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by roxsam

Aww, Jo! So sorry you are going through this!! Just hang in there and things WILL start working out, even though you cannot see any light at the end right now! And this really will make you a ton stronger in the end. Any friends or other family besides your sister that you can stay with? Did you already sign for your new apartment? Can you take on a PT job to help with costs? Just ideas, but I'm sure you have thought of them already.

Stay strong...!!
You know, it's funny that you mention being strong... my ex told me on Saturday that he always thought that I was one of the strongest people he had ever known. What a compliment from the one that has hurt me the most
. Anyway, My sis is the only one that I would be able to stay with because of the cats. I have another friend that I have been talking to pretty much everyday since this started and I am sure that he would let me stay with him, but I have the cats. I won't desert them so i will just have to find another way. I haven't signed for the new apartment yet, but I will have to within the next couple of days in order to keep it. I think that if I send my deposit to them they would probably hold it, but I am trying to think of a way to pay for everything in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the vibes everyone-- it HAS to work out! I am not meant to be here.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend moved from eastern NC to Seattle for less than that. Have you checked out all your options as far as moving your stuff? I need to call her and find out how exactly she did it, but there are some trucking companies that will move household goods if they have any room left on their truck so they will run with a full load. I will try to find out before you move. I am moving soon myself and need this info.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am going to use a UHaul truck and have my sister come out and help me move-- that's $335 for the truck not including gas. Add gas for her driving 4 hours out here and food to feed them, and I am probably up to at least $500. Of course, she is willing to wait for me to give her gas money, but I feel bad about it. Add in the deposits that I will have to pay to restart my utilities and it adds up. I did forget that I paid $300 or so for a deposit on my utilities out here so I should get that back. It's just coming up with everything up front.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I found myself an apartment and I am gambling that I will have enough money to pay for everything now. Pepper and Petunia have to stay at my sister's until i can come up with the money to move them in, but it should not take me too long to come up with that since I should be getting money back form my landlord here and should be getting my deposits back. I just don't want to live without them and be all alone again

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully you will get your deposits back quickly and can have the cats re-united with you.