Poll: Eat it or Toss it

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we had pizza last night but when the leftovers were brought home they were left out from about 10pm last night until 8am this morning. I Forgot to put them into the fridge oopsie! Just out of curiosity (I'm thinking about throwing it away) but would you still eat it or toss it? It was a mahgarita pizza so it didn't have any meat on it, just cheese tomatoes, and tomato sauce. I hear its fine to eat left out pizza, but I've never known anyone who has done it.

mbrcpr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been eating pizza left out overnight for years. I actually usually plan on having the leftover pizza for breakfast, and leave it out on purpose. Although lately I've been having to put it in the fridge because the cats will strip the cheese off! But yeah it's perfectly ok to eat it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd eat it as well. Once something has been cooked I don't have the same worry about it being left out, especially with no meat on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I put it in the fridge this morning because I wasn't sure if I wanted to waste it and throw it away. I'm curious to see how many people would eat it and then by lunch time figure out if I want to see if I'll die from it or not lol. My food bacteriology teacher in college said it was perfectly fine to eat it since tomatoes are acidic and thus will not harbor an environment for bacteria to grow..but I'm still not sure yet haha. Cheese theoretically has salt in it too, right? that would be another plus. but if it had meat on it, i would probably throw it out. I know staph. aureus likes to grow on cured meats and comes from peoples' hands/nasal cavities, but this is vegetarian. Perhaps I will eat it. I'm still undecided though.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd probably toss it out, even though there isn't any meat.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'd eat it as well. Once something has been cooked I don't have the same worry about it being left out, especially with no meat on it.
same feelings here...
....( Maybe take a little walk..
around the block and come back for that slide!...
..).....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm going to just eat the two slices for lunch and I will let you guys know if it makes me sick lol. I also wanted to add that it smells and looks fine after heating lol.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hope you don't get sick! I voted for eat it, too. Pizza is fine left out a while, especially during the cooler nights.

Then again, I just noticed you're in Texas. Now, if it's been 90 all night long, I probably wouldn't eat it!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had food poisioning twice and i have to say it is NOT fun- so our rule is "when in doubt, toss it out!" - if it had only been left out for a few hours- it probably would be fine- but since it was out all night and it had a dairy product on it- i wouldn't chance it honestly.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would toss it. I made the mistake of eating food that was left out with very bad consequences. What would make me wary would be the cheese.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, when I was growing up, we never refrigerated lefover pizza, even with meat on it. None of us ever got food poisoning.

Enjoy your lunch!

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a roommate who never refrigerated her leftover pizza. Literally, never, no matter what was on it. And she never got sick from it. Before living with her, I would've said toss it, but now that I've seen it done routinely with no dire consequences, I don't see any reason not to eat it.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Yuck, it would be in the trash. I have a bad food poisoning phobia so.... yeah.
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I've had food poisioning twice and i have to say it is NOT fun- so our rule is "when in doubt, toss it out!" - if it had only been left out for a few hours- it probably would be fine- but since it was out all night and it had a dairy product on it- i wouldn't chance it honestly.

I've had food poisoning too. Anything not refrigerated quickly goes in the trash.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in the food business for over 15 years and it depends what temp it is in the Room it was in. If its real Hot toss it. My Sister lives by San Francisco and she does that all the time and has never got sick. Here it would be spoiled because its hot.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always leave my pizza out overnight. I can't eat it if it's been in the fridge - grosses me out for some reason. Gets all soggy and stuff. I've been fine every time

I'm one of those people who lives by expiration dates though

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

The only thing I would worry about is the cheese
i'd probably eat it. cheese is spoiled milk already, tomatoes are acidic - plus, if you're reheating it in the microwave, that'll probably kill anything that might have arisen, anyway.