flea treatments

pelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know a flea treatment that kills super fleas: we have a room that is covered in fleas; we have no animals in there; have sprayed every thing possible including bleach; the fleas are still alive: even after g oing through the washing machine; (on some clothes) they are still alive::the other rooms are fine; just this spare room; we had two wild cats living up there;they are fine; its just all these fleas: any suggestions?

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would like to know as well. since moving to an all carpeted place compared to our hardwood floor apt we used to live in, the fleas are a lot more prominant.

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried sprinkling diamateous earth (food grade, not the other type) around and brushing it into the carpets? I've never tried it personally, but see it recommended quite often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
never heard of diamateous earth; what is it and where do you get it?
as far as more fleas with carpets; thats quite normal as they lay their eggs in carpets; we have no carpets anywhere and the room that has all the fleas is just floorbords; they are living on newspapers and the floor; we have put lice powder down as well; sprayed flea shampoo; dettol; bleach and they are still living and breeding!

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If they are still on your cats, see if you can get a product called Capstar to kill them. It is a pill that starts working immediately and it kills the fleas and their eggs.

No idea how to help with the home.... good luck!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also recommend diatomaceous earth - I've used it for other insects and had fantastic results.

It MUST be the human/food grade though. I got mine at a garden centre and it is sold under the name CHEMFREE. Call around. I did but I found I needed to speak to someone in charge since some of the "kids" working there did not have any idea what I was talking about.

pelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone, trouble is we live in France and its hard to make them understand, cant find a translation that fits; but will keep looking;tea tree oil seems to be working on the cats at moment;

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful, tea tree oil is toxic if they ingest it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pelly

thanks everyone, trouble is we live in France and its hard to make them understand, cant find a translation that fits; but will keep looking;tea tree oil seems to be working on the cats at moment;
Pelly, I'll ask my friend for some help for you. Her husband is from France and she is totally bilingual as is their son.

pelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
have you had a chance to speak to your friend regarding the f ullers earth?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

have you had a chance to speak to your friend regarding the f ullers earth?
She never got back to me about it. I'll have to remember to look at my container at home tonight. It has occurred to me that everything in Canada has to be labelled bilingual so the French translation is probably right there in front of me. Sometimes I have senior moments.

ETA: Okay, I'm at home with the DE in front of me and yes indeed it does have a French side.

Mine is Made in Canada and is labeled "Chemfree Insectigone"

Kills Cockroaches, Earwigs, Ants, Fleas, Silverfish, Crickets, Millipedes & Centipedes.
For use indoors or outdoors

Now the French part you need: Garantie: dioxyde de silice . . . 80%
(present sous forme de TERRE DIATOMEE) (sorry I don't have the French accents readily available.
Avertissement, contient l'allergene lait.

I hope that helps.

It is manufactured here by: Woodstream Canada Corporation - website www.safers.com

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

never heard of diamateous earth; what is it and where do you get it?
as far as more fleas with carpets; thats quite normal as they lay their eggs in carpets; we have no carpets anywhere and the room that has all the fleas is just floorbords; they are living on newspapers and the floor; we have put lice powder down as well; sprayed flea shampoo; dettol; bleach and they are still living and breeding!
Check out this link, it explains what DE is. You can also sweep it, on your floor, into your floor boards, and into the floor board cracks.

http://www.shadowridgedonkeys.com/perma_guard_what.htm

You can buy it from them or from www.Perma-guard.com

Because you have a bad infestation you might want to get the PET & ANIMAL INSECTICIDE D-20 formula. It will work faster, but is also more expensive. If you get the Fossil Shell formula, which is safe for humans and animals to eat, it will work, but it will take a little longer.

The thing that is wonderful about this stuff is that it is not chemical, but mechanical. After a while, you will find that fleas, ants, spiders and bugs in general will avoid your home.

Hope this helps!

magycmyste

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm............. rahter curious - but for those of you who have used diatomaceous earth - have you tried using it on hard surfaces (i.e. There are a bunch of ants that seem to like hiding in my shower - they pop out whenever I turn the faucet on. Would you just sprinkle it on the ground? (not sure I could use it in the shower, as it would probably just get washed away.) I'd like to get rid of the baits that I have out (they don't seem to be working too much anyway, and I'm scared that one of these days, Cleopatra will get too close and want to try some - though for now, it seems they're enough out of the way, and I do limit where she can go while I'm at work), and this seems like a good way to get rid of the bugs at my place without risking Cleopatra's health.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Magycmyste

Hmmm............. rahter curious - but for those of you who have used diatomaceous earth - have you tried using it on hard surfaces (i.e. There are a bunch of ants that seem to like hiding in my shower - they pop out whenever I turn the faucet on. Would you just sprinkle it on the ground? (not sure I could use it in the shower, as it would probably just get washed away.) I'd like to get rid of the baits that I have out (they don't seem to be working too much anyway, and I'm scared that one of these days, Cleopatra will get too close and want to try some - though for now, it seems they're enough out of the way, and I do limit where she can go while I'm at work), and this seems like a good way to get rid of the bugs at my place without risking Cleopatra's health.
I personally wouldn't put it where it would get wet as it would end up washing away and not serve any purpose in the long term. In fact, on my container it says it can be used outside but would need to be re-applied after a rain, but certainly it can be placed on hard surfaces. Our home has all hardwood flooring so I just put it around between the baseboard and the floor, across door sills and on my window sills. It should work well for you and keep lovely Cleopatra safe and healthy.

pelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the info; I'll go to the pharmacy and see if they can order some for me; if not the agriculture suppliers!!I'll let you know what happens;