TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › So, does it mean anything...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So, does it mean anything...

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Someone pointed out this past weekend that the McCain family has a bunch of pets, including dogs, turtles, cats, and ferrets.

The Obama family has no pets, although Barack says he may get his daughters a dog, eventually, if he gets elected President.

Does this mean anything? Or is it all just in the normal range of families around the country?
post #2 of 16
I think its probably normal but it would be nice to have a president who is a pet owner!
post #3 of 16
I wouldn't vote for Obama anyway, but having no pets is just another strike against him.....
post #4 of 16
I would never presume to question a persons reason for not having a pet. There are many and whether it is allergies, time restraints or just not wanting to have a pet, that is sort of personal. Animals take time and effort and are not for everyone. Besides there have been politicians who have had pets that really shouldn't have. So no, the mere fact they have no pets at this point makes no difference at all.

He promised his daughters a dog whether he won or lost. So they will be getting an animal regardless.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
I would never presume to question a persons reason for not having a pet.
Exactly.

And to think that anything like this would matter to one person just solidfies how misguided our society is.

Why is this even an issue? It's stupid!
post #6 of 16
My parents don't have pets. My mother travels all of the time for her job. She is an editor on deadlines, pressure and sometimes works 14 hour days. My father who just retired travels all the time now too and loves to spend his afternoons golfing and he is not giving it up to be a pet owner.
A lot of people in my family have no pets. I am the only sibling out of a large family to have pets as an adult.

My evil inlaws had pets and were the biggest jerks I have ever met so...There are other nasty people who have owned pets too or were animal lovers. Like Hitler. He adored dogs.
A lot of Presidents get a pet for photo ops and PR.
post #7 of 16
We never had pets growing up. Just cause.

In the Obama family's case, it may have been simply the more responsible decision-- I imagine they don't have a whole lot of extra time and energy that a pet requires.

Who is taking care of the McCains' zoo while they are never home?
post #8 of 16
I have heard that Obama supports "Animal Rights", and it is well known that Animal Rightests (like PETA for example) beleive that pet ownership is itself cruel.

Of course there's no proof that Obama thinks that way....
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Of course there's no proof that Obama thinks that way....
So why put that out there?

What was the point of that?
post #10 of 16
I'm not an Obama fan, but I thought the news articles about this pet ownership thing were pretty funny. McCain is out campaigning and spends a huge chunk of time traveling as a Senator, so who is hanging out with his dogs, cats, ferrets, etc.? He may own pets, but not like the "rest of us".

That's not to say he isn't a pet lover. If I could afford to have them cared for, I'd still want to come home to my pets, even if I traveled most of the time. However, pretending McCain is a pet owner like the rest of us is just condescending. Someone should ask him the last time he cleaned a litter box.
post #11 of 16
The only thing I like about George Dubya is his dog

Having said that, it would make not a lick of difference to my vote if someone had pets or not. I would feel happy if I found out my choice did have pets, but it wouldn't affect my decision.

At the end of the day, I think Obama's not having any is the responsible way to go. He's a busy man - and pets require a lot of time. This is not to say that McCain's pets aren't lavishly adored and well looked after - perhaps they are. We don't know their personal lives so none of us can say.

As for supporting `animal rights', well, I am a supporter of animal rights (and yes I mean rights not just welfare) without being a supporter of PeTA or those of their ilk. The two don't have to belong in the same basket.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
I have heard that Obama supports "Animal Rights", and it is well known that Animal Rightests (like PETA for example) beleive that pet ownership is itself cruel.

Of course there's no proof that Obama thinks that way....
I have read this as well, can't remember where I saw it or what it was about, but when I find the information, I will post it. I won't be voting for Obama any how, but if he supports the AR movement, that is another reason why I hope and pray he will never be president.
post #13 of 16
well, we all know my views on obama.
But no it means nothing to me, I spent years without a cat or dog or fish, cause well at times i did not know where i sleeping that night
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by boringjen View Post
I'm not an Obama fan, but I thought the news articles about this pet ownership thing were pretty funny. McCain is out campaigning and spends a huge chunk of time traveling as a Senator, so who is hanging out with his dogs, cats, ferrets, etc.? He may own pets, but not like the "rest of us".

That's not to say he isn't a pet lover. If I could afford to have them cared for, I'd still want to come home to my pets, even if I traveled most of the time. However, pretending McCain is a pet owner like the rest of us is just condescending. Someone should ask him the last time he cleaned a litter box.
I agree. I see people like Oprah with all of her money and she brings her dogs everywhere. I see that as a loving pet owner. Maybe McCain's heiress wife has 'people' do the dirty work for them.
post #15 of 16
Bush had a cat that was unhappy in the White House, so he found a good home for her with a staff member because he did not have the time to deal with his cat personally. He said if he could he would have kept her there but he felt that a more suitable home was better, and will be getting another cat as soon as he is back home in Texas. This the beginning of his first term.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Someone pointed out this past weekend that the McCain family has a bunch of pets, including dogs, turtles, cats, and ferrets.
So, I wonder...if McCain makes it to the White House, will he be allowed to keep his pets there?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › So, does it mean anything...