Pet GPS tracking...

newsocalrn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have seen a few of these on the net and am interested in one site called globalpetfinder.com. They say they are (or have already) come out with a cat and toy dog sized device. Has anyone heard of or used any of these products?

Im thinking of getting one for my kitty (shes strictly indoor-- but would be good if there was an emergency, and for peace of mind)

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it's overkill to make an indoor cat wear a large GPS unit (at this point they are still fairly large) all the time. If you're concerned about emergencies, I'd microchip her instead.... that way any shelter or vet she was taken to would be able to return her to you. And it would be much less intrusive and uncomfortable for the cat.

GPS is for animals that regularly go outside and have demonstrated a tendency to run away.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect the device is pretty big. The only picture I could find of it on their website shows it attached to a collar but the collar isn't on an animal so you can't tell how big it is. Also, their FAQs say the 3 AAA batteries it needs only last 4 to 5 days. Doesn't seem very practical to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newsocalrn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah the devices out there today are waaaaaaaaaaay too big for her. Maybe in the future I will consider one if they significantly downsized

(btw she does have a microchip)

laserray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The microchip I beleave aren't all that effective.

I wish they would downsize the gps units but they are still too big.

There is a radio collor that IS small enought, a little bigger then the watch battery that powers it. It uses radio frequency finder and not gps.

newsocalrn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Laserray,

The company globalpetfinder.com is going to be coming out with a cat/small dog sized GPS at the end of the year. This is the one I am considering.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laserray

The microchip I beleave aren't all that effective.

I wish they would downsize the gps units but they are still too big.

There is a radio collor that IS small enought, a little bigger then the watch battery that powers it. It uses radio frequency finder and not gps.
IMO- Where I live the microchip works well, I have traped 3 cats and when I took them to the local ASPCA they checked them and 2 were chiped. NOW If the owner doesn't send in the registration and keep the info updated with the company (I used AKC) then yes microchips will not work.
But I know for $10.00 to insert the chip, plus the $6.25 fee to register I could not afford not to.
K.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this would be fun to have. I always wonder where Rocket goes to when he's not here. I've never been able to find out. I've only seen him twice while I've been out walking the neighborhood, and both times was a bit surprised how far away he was.

newsocalrn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what they are running now, I can only suspect the new cat sized GPS will be upwards of $350 or so....

laserray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
http://www.thecatlocator.com/

Thats' the radio finder. The transmitter is small enough.
However not GPS.

$10 for a chip? Man, my vet is such a ripoff, I paid $80 for each cat and they try to charge me about $10 a year for upkeeping.
The serivice ( home again) dropped the yearly fee.

Thinking I need a new vet over $500 for two cats and their shots.
Plus they pulled some BS when I tried to order meds from 1800petmeds.