Seziure in his sleep?

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chestnut was lieing on "his" chair tonight and and all 4 leggs and his tail started twiching he was non responsive when I called out his name and when i moved his body (head and feet) he was very limp. About 10 seconds later he opened his eyes and was a little disoriented.

He did have a (for lack of a better term) grand maul seziure when I first got him (January) and hes behaviour after was similar, but my question is, can cats have seziures in their sleep??? I have all intentions of calling the vet first thing in the AM (or the ER vet tonight if it happens again). Right now he seems perfectly normal and he ate dinner just fine and he used his box....

So... what do you think seziure or just deep kitty sleep and dreaming?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Since your kitty has a history of them, the vet call is a good idea... if he didn't have a history, I would say a deep kitty dream - my dog (14 year old black lab) has crazy dreams: all four legs go, her tail, she makes facial expressions and sometimes woofs all in her sleep and it takes a lot to wake her up and after you do she's like "huh? what the... where am I?" for a few minutes... Ollie dreams sometimes too but not like my dog

I'd still call to make sure everything's ok

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that it sounds to me like he was just solidly asleep.

Cats "sleep" much of the time, but it's a relatively shallow sleep. However, they spend a certain small amount of time in very deep sleep. We'd call in REM sleep. This is when they "dream," or at least that's what it looks like. Mouth movements, paw movements, even body jerks are common. If you pick up a paw or their head, it will be completely limp, almost as if they are dead. A few seconds later, however, they will probably stretch and turn over, completely normal.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those jerks always alarm me. If the cat has a history then a call to the vet is in order.
Probably is just sleep but a phone call couldn't hurt.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that it sounds to me like he was just solidly asleep.

Cats "sleep" much of the time, but it's a relatively shallow sleep. However, they spend a certain small amount of time in very deep sleep. We'd call in REM sleep. This is when they "dream," or at least that's what it looks like. Mouth movements, paw movements, even body jerks are common. If you pick up a paw or their head, it will be completely limp, almost as if they are dead. A few seconds later, however, they will probably stretch and turn over, completely normal.
Bijou does this as well. When he finally settles down to sleep with me at night.

However, if the poster's cat has a history of seizures, a vet call wouldn't be a bad idea.

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would consult the vet. Sleep can trigger seizures in suseptible humans, so I guess it's possible a cat with a tendency toward seizures can have one during sleep also.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat chloe has really, really, reaaaaally deep dreams that i thought were grand mal seizures (im epileptic so i knew all the signs LOL) and i hauled her to the vet. however, to quote the movie "the fox and the hound" she was just 'chasing badgers' hahaha

she gets all 4 legs going, her eyelids flutters, her lips smack, etc. she scared me half to death! but the vet said she was just a really deep sleeper.

i was told if i could wake her out of it, and she looks at me like '
do you think youre doing?!' its not a seizure (obviously, i already knew this) and someone (or something, a cat, in this case) wont wake up, being postictal and almost drunk-like when the seizure finally ends.