Are there any natural flea remedies?

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Little Sunny has fleas. He has endured 2 baths (in baby shampoo) to wash off and drown the fleas. I have sat for hours with a flea comb and have killed alot of fleas (seemingly thousands). After the two baths he was flea free - I know because I sat and picked the other remaining fleas off of him.
I'm watching my precious little kitten sleep and I can see fleas on his face

He made it out the door today and was able to get out just about 4 - 5 feet. and I think that he must have picked them up then.

I need something for the yard. Since we have our feral babies outside, I want something that will not harm them when they are out wallowing around in the grass. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there such a thing?

I would like something to put on Sunny. I prefer not to have to use a harsh chemical. I would like to have something to kill the fleas - not just make them jump off of him. (I don't want them jumping on me or my boyfriend)
Is Advantage my only option here? Is that the least harsh but most effective remedy here? What happens when he is cleaning himself (I don't want him ingesting poisin)?

Sunny has to go to the vets on Wednesday for his second worming treatment and a checkup after completing his antibiotics for his last illness. The vet said that he ended up with the worms (even had tape worms) from the fleas. I don't want my baby kitty to have to deal with this issue again.
Any help you can give me in this area is much appreciated.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not familiar with natural flea remedies so I can't help you there. I just wanted to say that if you do decide to use Advantage, Revolution etc., if you apply it correctly (the neck at the base of the skull) then it will be impossible for Sunny to ingest it because he won't be able to reach that area.

Also, is Sunny 8 weeks old or older? I think he would need to be at least 8 weeks old to be eligible for those products.

Hope this helped a little.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

I'm not familiar with natural flea remedies so I can't help you there. I just wanted to say that if you do decide to use Advantage, Revolution etc., if you apply it correctly (the neck at the base of the skull) then it will be impossible for Sunny to ingest it because he won't be able to reach that area.

Also, is Sunny 8 weeks old or older? I think he would need to be at least 8 weeks old to be eligible for those products.

Hope this helped a little.
I'm releived to know that he won't be able to ingest it if it is properly applied. I had no idea that he would not be able to reach that area as he is quite the contortionist. Yes, Sunny is 4-5 mos. old according to his vet.

Thank you, Robert for the information.