Hell Boy II: The Golden Army (2008)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hell Boy II: The Golden Army

We had my nephew this weekend, and we had to come up with plans to do fun things with a 12 year old. Of course he wanted to see Hell Boy. How could he not? I think it's ingrained in his DNA that he must, at all costs, see this movie. Opening weekend.

I have to say it was entertaining. Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone, and Mimic) is an interesting director. He has a passion for comic books, but also is quite capable of making a touching beautiful film like Pan's Labyrinth. The two play off each other quite well. He also knows how to create, execute, and dazzle and audience with: monster make up, CG animation, and special effects. He also is quite adept at casting people who make all of that look good. Ron Perlman is a great example of that. He's covered in bright red make up but still looks human.

All in all, seeing this move wasn't a huge waste of money. However, if I had things my way it would be at the bottom of my Netflix que waiting to be rented some time next December. Don't rush out and see it, but if it pops on HBO don't change the channel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I heard he collects kittens in the movie, is that true?
He does! He even attempts to beat up a troll that's going to eat a cat for breakfast. However, he's thwarted by his cadre of friends into threatening her with a canary. It's a very cute scene.

BTW, there is this brown and white little kitty in the movie that I want with all of my being. He has the cutest markings in the whole wide world.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i want to see this - of course, i saw the 1st one, & i also bought the graphic novel so i'd have the backstory. hearing there's a cute kitten to see doesn't make me any less interested

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went and saw this with my mom and we both enjoyed it. It's not a spectacular movie, but it very enjoyable. Side note, that same day, I noticed Pan's Labryinth on the shelf. I'll be watching that soon enough!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really enjoyed the first one- so i'm definitely looking foward to seeing this one soon!
Thanks for the review Heather!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

I went and saw this with my mom and we both enjoyed it. It's not a spectacular movie, but it very enjoyable. Side note, that same day, I noticed Pan's Labryinth on the shelf. I'll be watching that soon enough!
I have a feeling this movie will be up for a Best Makeup/Costume design Oscar. It may also get one for set design. The whole fight scene at the end on the cogs and gears must have been a pain to shoot but came off in a very effective way.

As for seeing Pan's Labyrinth, make sure you see The Devil's Backbone first. del Toro is doing a trilogy of children affected by the Spanish Civil War, and Backbone is the first in that series. It's not as good as Labyrinth, but it's a good film to set it all up. Defiantly worth the rental. Trust me on that one.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colin and I saw it last night!
I loved it
(We both really enojyed the first one though!) I liked it almost as much as the first one
I'm wondering if they're going to make a 3rd one now though!

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw it, and it's better than the first one. It certainly has some flaws, but as far as "fun comic-book movie" it's great.

Guillermo del Toro didn't have creative control on the first film, but on this one, he did. So here he can focus on the "freaks" (no normal human character to act as the audience's entrance point, as in the first one), and it's visually much more interesting and much richer. Abe Sapien gets more of a part, which I loved. I didn't like some of the new characters (or their make-up), but it's certainly a wild fantasy world that's just fun! It is darker/more violent than the previous film.