Clipping Kitten Nails

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty is about 9 weeks and I want to trim her nails just a little..they are very sharp. Going out to get kitty nail clippers. Any advice for first timers?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjc

My kitty is about 9 weeks and I want to trim her nails just a little..they are very sharp. Going out to get kitty nail clippers. Any advice for first timers?
well, for babies you can use people clippers... but i prefer these - i think they're easier to use, myself. nail clippers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks...I saw these...but wasn't sure between these and the others I saw.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjc

Thanks...I saw these...but wasn't sure between these and the others I saw.
there's also a guillotine style, but i think the scissors type is easier to use.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I clipped my kittens at 5 and 6 weeks and would have before that if possible. They rough house and I don't want anyone hurting each other or themselves.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

there's also a guillotine style, but i think the scissors type is easier to use.
I find the scissor type to be much, much better. Does a cleaner cut and faster so you are done more quickly on a wiggling and complaining kitten!

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second the vote for people nail clippers. I first clipped my foster kittens' nails at about 4 weeks and it was quite easy with those.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use ppl clippers as well. I cut all my cats' nails while they're sleeping LOL so they don't get too irate with me. The new kittens have scratched each other already, so I might have to go nipping teensy amounts off. They just mostly fight over nipples. Being they're only 12 days old, you can't blame them LOL.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use "human" nail clippers on all my pets...except the dogs of course, their nails are too big. For me I find they are the easiest to use and easiest to see where I am cutting.

kat89447

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I clip kittens nails very early, around 4 wks, so they get used to it. In the beginning I do one paw a day. Less stress on both of us lol. My youngest (now) prefers hers to be filed with an emory board, my 10 yr old started this with her. She does manicures on the kitten pretty regular lol. I have used both human and "kitty" clippers and have found the short scissor types are the easiest, but it really is subjective. Try both and see what works for you and the cat.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to use human clippers but they would make the nails splinter- I think they were too dull.

I bought the scissor type for a few dollars from Target and they work great. I have the guillotine style, too, and agree they are a lot harder to use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I got the regular scissors and had my friend clip them. She works in a doggy day care and has plenty of experience

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I start kitten nail clipping at 4-5 weeks old. Put them on their tummies and just nip the tips of the front feet with a regular small fingernail clipper. As they get bigger I train them to lay on their backs in lap and have their feet done.

I find that the first few months you can't use much bigger then the fingernail clipper at the nails are not big. By the time they are 6 months old, I use regular clippers and they are fine.

mwitherspoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am new to this. I was just wondering if it is possible to just file cats nails or not? not sure if anyone would know but i figured it was worth a shot. Also, I have a 5 year old cat and have always had problems with trimming his claws. Is there an easy way to do it. He lets me play with his paws but once the clippers come out he doesn't want to deal with me. I thought that maybe using a nail file might be better, he seems to really like the nail file but I haven't used it on his nails yet. I'm kinda affraid. Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Melissa

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More power to you if you can get a cat to sit still long enough to file the nails. I can clip 4 feet on almost any cat in less then 5 mins