Kool-Aid Pickles

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kool-Aid Pickles

Apparently Kool-Aid pickles are popular in parts of the South. Has anyone ever tried one? I'm tempted to make some but I don't want to waste a whole jar of pickles!

Kids...
we think of the weirdest things!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They would probably be good. I love sweet mixed pickles with fresh strawberries. The combination of sweet and sour work well. The pickles and koolaid are probably similar to "Lick-a-Maid" candy. Dipping something sweet into a tart powder, which was basically Koolaid.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father used to love watermelon pickle -- it's pickled watermelon rind, SUPER sweet. Back when I was a kid, I was the only one in the family who would eat it with him!
I think I liked it because it was so pretty: big jewel-like cubes of translucent lime green.

But Kool-Aid? I don't know... I have a feeling this idea comes from the same people who bought us boiled peanuts...

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw those on food network once, at some state fair they were selling cherry flavored ones & kids & adults alike loved them & they were big sellers.

To me... they look abit strange. I have been a pickle lover from the start... these I'm not so sure...

If I were somewhere that they were selling these & my kids wanted one, I'd taste theirs.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alton Brown on Good Eats had a show on making your own pickles, and at the end, he did the Koolaid PIckles... and showed his end comic segment of him with a 'lemonade' stand selling bright red pickles...

I'm game to trying anything once... I may have to try this...

Amanda

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

My father used to love watermelon pickle -- it's pickled watermelon rind, SUPER sweet.
I got into a canning stage several years ago and made those because I saw a recipe in a canning book. Yuck! Maybe it's the spices that I didn't much care for. Cloves, cinnamon etc. I'm just not a fan of those particular spices. I ended up taking the 12 jars to work and giving them away. Out of about 20 nurses I think only 2 were takers! LOL I do like the concept of not wasting, so I may look for another recipe that doesn't have those spices in it and try it again one day.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Add a pound of sugar and double-strength Kool-Aid! No wonder kids like them. But the dentists do, too.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Alton Brown on Good Eats had a show on making your own pickles, and at the end, he did the Koolaid PIckles... and showed his end comic segment of him with a 'lemonade' stand selling bright red pickles...

I'm game to trying anything once... I may have to try this...

Amanda
I saw that show. I thought Kool-aid pickles sounded weird then and I still do. I don't think I could eat it.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey I'll try anything once but I have a feeling I wouldn't like them. Course who knows, I'm awfully weird.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just finished canning 14 pints and 2 quarts of Bread & Butter pickles *wiping brow* We love pickles in my home (more specifically, my husband loves pickles) so the more the merrier.

Carol, I do make a cinnamon watermelon rind pickle that you would probably love! Instead of using a spice bag, you use sugar, vinegar and those little red cinnamon heart candies. OMG, they are wonderful!!!!

I am not sure how I would like the KoolAide pickles though ... I am not now nor have I ever been a fan of KoolAide so ... probably not.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

Yuck! I have lived in the South for most of my life, and have seen some strange things, but never those. Did I mention yuck???
Same here, i've been a southern girl all my life, but i've never heard of such a thing
They sound interesting though! I might have to try them sometime.