Possibly neurotic questions from new "mom"

akvirs42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a lifelong cat lover and had a few wonderful cats as friends growing up. However, I mostly did the "fun" stuff while my mom took care of the more responsible things. I'm now about 21, and my boyfriend and I feel ready to take on the full responsibilities of a cat. I still think we're ready, but I just didn't quite realize how neurotic it would make me. We have adopted a wonderful 3 month-old kitten named Alex. (He's Allie for now. He needs to grow into the full name.) When we went to the shelter yesterday to make our decision and fill out the adoption papers, he seemed fine. When we got to the animal hospital today to pick him up after his neutering operation, he had a worrisome sneeze. He's still sneezing and we're both concerned. One of the cats at the shelter in a cage nearby was sneezing yesterday, so he might have caught it there. A few somewhat disjointed questions:

1. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any other significant symptoms of an upper respiratory infection, like running eyes or nose. But I'm not totally 100% sure. Are there any pictures I could look at to compare? How else can I tell if the problem is serious? Is there anything I can do to help?

2. He has a check-up scheduled for Tuesday. But I know there are some animal hospitals in the area who are open on Sundays and it would probably be free because most hospitals nearby offer free check-ups for recently adopted pets. Should we take him into a vet tomorrow instead of waiting until Tuesday? I'm leaning in this direction for my peace of mind alone.

3. I've never lived with a kitten as young as Allie, so I don't know if this is normal or not. Our floors are all carpeted, and he is a bit wobbly in getting around. I'm tempted to attribute this to him being young and awkward, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. My first cat, the one I grew up with for half of my life, had to be put to sleep last year because she had a brain tumor and eventually couldn't walk without falling down, so I guess this just kind of sets of alarm bells for me.

4. Allie is incredibly sweet and already seems pretty attached to my boyfriend and myself. He's wonderful. He's just not as energetic and interested in playing as I would expect given my previous experiences with kittens. Every cat is unique, of course, and I assume a lot of this has to do with him being overwhelmed by the new environment (though he is adjusting well, all things considered) and the fact that he just had an operation. Is there legitimate concern for worry?

I know a lot of these questions sound silly, but I already care about Allie so much and I want to make sure I am doing a good job mothering my first kitten. I guess I just need reassaurance. Thanks for listening to my concerns.

EDITED to add: One more thing. Is it possible to transmit viruses between cats and humans? Should I be concerned? Allie seems to like rubbing his nose against my face. (Which is completely sweet and adorable. I just don't want to extend the life of the virus. I do have a very good immune system, fortunately.)

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're not being neurotic...you're being a loving concerned 'mom' to a wonderful little kitty.

Being wobbly may be the effect of the anesthetic needed for the neutering....he shouldn't be wobbling by tomorrow. He should take it easy for a few days though...he did have surgery.

The sneezing is definitely something to look into. It could be a simple cold he caught from another cat.

He is going to be a bit shy at first and a little cautious in his new environment...but I'm sure after about 3 days....he should be frisky, inquisitive, playful and highly entertaining....

Take him to the Vet's office tomorrow if you are still worried...because if it's worrying you...then it's important to find out why! What harm can it do.....Allie is worth it, and so is your peace of mind!

Best of luck and enjoy your new little kitty....he sounds wonderful!!

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some viruses can be passed from cat to human, but I don't think the cold virus is one of them......rabies is one of them!!

He's giving you kisses....

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new kitten! You sound like a very loving mommy. He is in good hands I am sure.

It's okay to go with your gut feeling about things. Its better to be overly cautious than not. So if you really want to take him to the vet go right ahead...don't feel like you are being neurotic.

You can't catch or give a cold to him so no worries there. URI are common amongst cats from shelters. If he can still eat and breathe okay and there is no discharge from his eye or nose I would watch him and see if things stay the same or get worse.

I am not sure about the walking bit....he did just have surgery though...you'd be walking funny too i suppose.

We want pictures ASAP!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

akvirs42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all of the advice and supportive comments. I think I will take him to the vet tomorrow about the sneeze. I think MAXCAT08 is right in suggesting that the wobbliness is from the anesthetic. In the past hour, he's been more energetic and less klutzy. He wants to explore parts of our apartment that aren't quite ready for him yet.

I do hope to post pictures soon.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by akvirs42

Thanks for all of the advice and supportive comments. I think I will take him to the vet tomorrow about the sneeze. I think MAXCAT08 is right in suggesting that the wobbliness is from the anesthetic. In the past hour, he's been more energetic and less klutzy. He wants to explore parts of our apartment that aren't quite ready for him yet.

I do hope to post pictures soon.
good plan!
easiest way [imo] to post pix here is to use a image hosting service - i use photobucket [click to go there]. then, after you upload & resize your
, paste the code starting w/the [ img] tag that's showing beneath your pic on photobucket. here's an example - 1st, w/extra spaces to show the code:
[IMG ]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/laureen227/P7020082-1.jpg[/IMG]

then, w/o the spaces - & you see the pic!

this pic was sized for message board, btw.
oh, & welcome to TCS!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One other disease that you can catch from a cat is toxoplasmosis. You would most likely get it from changing the litter box, and it's most serious for pregnant women.

Here's an article on it:

Toxoplasmosis

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

One other disease that you can catch from a cat is toxoplasmosis. You would most likely get it from changing the litter box, and it's most serious for pregnant women.

Here's an article on it:

Toxoplasmosis
good reason for your DH to do it!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good to hear that you are concerned, as kitty owner's-Meowmy's we have to be proactive with their health, they can hide it when they are sick
I would suggest taking him to the vet tomorrow, please let us know what they say.

Thanks for being such a good cat Mom
Vibes for your boy

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the group. I think your little man is fine, but a check up is always a good idea. My boys stayed with the vet for a full 24 hours after the surgery, something new this low cost clinic does. They told me it would take up to 3 days for the boys to get fully on their feet. One ate right off, the other took a extra day to eat. Both were lovies, but they had lived here already & new me & the house. BUT the girls hated the boys for around 5 days. So the boys were hissed at and swated at alot.
Enjoy your new baby, he will bring you much joy & tons of tails to tell here on the site.
K.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

akvirs42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Allie is not sneezing nearly as much today. He is very sleepy, though. I called the vet who did the operation and was told this was normal and that I shouldn't worry at all until tomorrow morning, at earliest. Since we're lucky enough to have an animal hospital across the street, we'll be taking him in tomorrow. (They're not open on Sundays, and the other place is a bit of a long drive which he doesn't seem to like. The sneezing is definitely better, so the vet didn't seem quite as urgent.) I hope to take some better photos of Allie later when he's more awake, but here he is:

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he's beautiful! I was, and am, an neurotic mommy when I got my girl, my first pet, two years ago, so I know the feeling. Things will calm down as you all get used to each other, but could I suggest that when you take him to the vet, find out what ER vet service they use, just in case. I even did a dry run to the ER vet's location, just to make sure I knew where it was. Sure, I don't know where my closest human urgent care location is, but I know where to take my babies.

My vet also offers free check-ups for new vets - the expectation is more or less that you will continue to use that vet. In my case, it worked out great -- multi vet practice with good hours, including some on Sunday, very nice and competent staff as far as I can tell, and good working relationship with ER vet and also work with local shelters. Now they have a record of my babies, and I've never hard a problem getting in promptly if I felt the need.

Good luck with your Allie - he's lucky to have found such a wonderful home and family.