Losing hair and scabs

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kahlua has just started losing hair in her tail and has small scabs on her.
I thought maybe it was flea bites but would that cause the scabs? I have only seen 1 flea on her and got it off and we've checked her a few times.
Should we bathe her or get her a flea collar or something? I dont know what to do but I dont want her to be sick for her spay appointment

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definately let the vet look at it. It could be a whole bunch of things. But most importantly if it is causing her to lose her hair and get scabs it can't feel good to the poor girl.

Usually if it was a flea thing she'd be infested. My thoughts are an allergy to something or stress or a skin condition....all not fun.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are the scabs near the base of the tail? Any marks under the chin? The scabs are usually from the scratching but what i have found that most likely causes the problem if not fleas are food allergies. Eliminating all grains from a diet usually will do the trick, If that is not budgetary possible then I would first look to remove corn or mullet and then gluten from the diet.
If you can afford it a grain free canned food like wellness, thast will usually solve the problem
Best of luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

Are the scabs near the base of the tail? Any marks under the chin? The scabs are usually from the scratching but what i have found that most likely causes the problem if not fleas are food allergies. Eliminating all grains from a diet usually will do the trick, If that is not budgetary possible then I would first look to remove corn or mullet and then gluten from the diet.
If you can afford it a grain free canned food like wellness, thast will usually solve the problem
Best of luck
They are mostly on the base of the tail or around the tail and on the back of her head. A few others on her back but those could be from playing with the kitten. (or more likely getting ambushes by our kitten)

Would a food allergy just pop up like that? She has been eating the same kind of food since she was a baby.

Also, she has an appointment to get spayed coming up. But it is at a low cost clinic. Do you think they would still be able to help me with it? The Clinic is called Holly Help if anyone has ever heard of them.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know cats can be allergic to fleas and get sores, but I would think she would be covered in fleas if that were it. Whatever it is, many vibes it's easily treatable, good luck with her spay

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I believe that this is most likely a food allergy, I do not believe that they will be able to help you with the scabs. Many vets sorely lack nutritional information. They may offer cortizone to relieve the itch but I would decline as steroids are the number 2 reason that cats get diabetes. There are other issues where steroids can play an important part but I do not believe for itch relief it is proper.
Can a food allergy just pop up? absolutely. Same thing happened with my cat when she was 10 years old and it was after she got diabetes an after I made the switch in foods that I was able to add it all up. Best of luck

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes itch relief is the right thing to use steroids for though, this is especially if the cat is licking the itchy area and the area isn't somewhere that dries easily (for example if it's in the armpit).

When that happens moist dermatitis a potentially serious bacterial infection can set in really easily and the only way for that to heal is to make it stop itching and add in antibiotics so the cat stops licking it all the time so that it can dry out.

I've had that happen with Nikita (she most likely had food allergies and is actually suffering through a spot right now, I think it's because she broke into my trashcan a few days ago and got into stuff she's not supposed to get, aaanyway).

Then though it was a topical antibacterial cortisone cream that I got. She was never given a shot or any pills. The cream and a change in her diet worked well though.