kids headache so bad he can't lift his head

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this started yesterday around 3:30-4pm. My oldest son age 8 told me his eyes and head hurt. He then went to sleep on the floor. About 7pm he woke up but refused to eat and just stayed on the floor. Close to 8pm he said he was going to bed then vomited. At this point his head still hurt. Also my 6 year old said his head hurt and was running a slight fever (underarm 102.3). Called the doctor they just said give him medicine and if it does get better take him in to the hospital. Today is Saturday and he still has a headache says its so bad he can barely lift his head. Has not eaten anything since 3pm yesterday and barely drinking (this is the 8 year old). I have no idea what I should do I have given him medicine but it does not seem to be working.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it could be a migraine, and with him not eating or wanting to drink anything he's only going to feel worse. So, unfortunately, you may have to go to the hospital.
I remember you complaining about the ER from previous threads... and all I can say is good luck.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, it could be migraine... but there are many things that present w/headache. if this is his first that's this bad, i'd certainly see the doctor - especially since the OTC meds aren't having any effect.
w/mine, sometimes OTC meds can sometimes ease the pain slightly. a combo seems to be most effective, but i wouldn't suggest you try that on a kid. i've had migraines since childhood. my childhood ones ended once i threw up. but i had a student whose migraines began w/throwing up.
i'd probably go to the ER if it were me...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well around 3pm I gave him some more medicine. I will wait until 4:30-5pm to see if this last dose will ease it at all. If not off we go. I called my step mom because she sufferes from migraines and she said usually migraine pain is situated to one part of the head (front back side temples etc) but he says its all over. I have an ice pack on his head to see if this helps. A friend said he might have to get a shot to make the pain go away. I feel so bad for him but I have no idea what to do for him. And everyone else seems fine.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless his heart!
You should check and see if he can touch his chin to his chest and if he can't....rush to the ER!! A migraine will usually go away after a nap. Not to worry you, but meningitis can have the same symptoms as a migraine sometimes and if he's running a fever and still having pain, it needs to be checked out. Hope everything turns out OK!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The oldest is not running a fever and hasn't during this. The middle son did have a slight fever and headache but his went away.

Right now I am trying to get a hold of his dad.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As this has gone on for a little while it might be worth getting him checked out. Especially so if he doesn't usually have headaches like this. In particular, check to see whether he has a rash anywhere or is complaining about stiffness in his neck or sensitivity to light. If those occur definitely get him checked out as soon as possible

I hope your little guy feels better soon, there is nothing worse than one of your little ones feeling bad and not being able to make it go away is there.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Urgent Care Centers are usually quicker than the ER. I would take him in just to get it checked out. You can never be too careful about headaches, especially if it has gone on for this long.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the others - a headache that lasts that long probably isn't a headache, it's probably a symptom of something else. We can hope it's just an allergy or a severe case of dehydration - but only a Doc of some type can make the proper judgment about how to proceed.

Hope you get to the root of this soon. He must be suffering terribly.

Laurie

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My son had a REALLY bad headache, when he was 10, would not eat, did not have a sore throut(sp??) took him in cuz he was just so blahhhh.
He had Strep. Suprise, no temp, nothing but a headache, and what he called a tired neck, prolly stiff.
Good luck hope he feels better.
K.

whitepwny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course there are multiple possibilities, but it sounds like a migraine. I get them, and they last DAYS sometimes. It really isn't that rare for a migraine to last awhile. I would get it checked out to be sure, and they can probably give him something to help his pain out, but he.. even if he don't feel like eating or drinking, needs to keep hydrated, or the headache will be SLOWER to go away. Hope all is well.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
she hasn't posted anything in the last 3 hours... i'm thinking they've already gone.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I took him. They ran a strep test (swabbed back of throat) and did cultures. Both came back negative for strep. but they said its strep and sent us home with just antibotics. And gave nothing for the headache. Within 5 mins of being home the 6 yr old started screaming that his head hurt again. I am at a loss now.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not having symptoms are you? Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can cause headaches. Why would the docs say it's strep when the tests were negative?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wingss2fly

My son had a REALLY bad headache, when he was 10, would not eat, did not have a sore throut(sp??) took him in cuz he was just so blahhhh.
He had Strep. Suprise, no temp, nothing but a headache, and what he called a tired neck, prolly stiff.
Good luck hope he feels better.
K.
That was my first thought
And insist on a culture for strep, not just the "rapid-strep" test. I have had a child with a neg. rapid-strep 4 times now, and the culture showed positive. Once, my daughter developed scarlet fever in the next 24 hours and the pediatrician's office gave me horrible "dressing down" because I didn't insist that the ER give the culture.
If it is not strep, it could indicate sinus problems. It might help to wash out the sinuses with saline solution. Ask him to bend forward and if it worsens, there's the clue.
Sending prayers and vibes for quick improvement Please tell him that the TCS family is concerned and anxiously awaiting good reports!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I am fine. And none of the boys have complained about sore throats. Just the headaches and the oldest stomach hurts a bit because he has not ate since yesterday afternoon.

As for why they say he has it when the tests say otherwise. Well lets just say our doctors and hospital in this down or known for dxing people. But what else can you do when the only other hospital is almost 1 or so away.

Originally Posted by luvmycat1

You're not having symptoms are you? Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can cause headaches. Why would the docs say it's strep when the tests were negative?

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about a sinus infection? I have had a couple and they are known for causing pain across the whole head, a fever, and also making you vomit. I would ask the doctor if that is a possibility.

Manda