Swollen paw ?

kittylover618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitties were playing and one of them hurt his paw, looks swollen and the nail wont push out. I'm hoping this doesn't merit yet another vet visit?! He seems fine bet is limping a bit.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wait a day or two to see if it improves. If not, I would get it checked out by the vet. Also, seclude him with the other cats, so it doesn't give more trauma to the injured leg.

I don't want to scare you. My friend's cat's hind leg was swollen, and when he took the cat to the vet, the cat needed amputation. The vet said it got infected because another cat bit a chunk out of its leg. It wasn't noticeable because the kitten had long hair. The kitten is three-legged now, and he's a very healthy cat.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat had the same thing happen today, except there is no obvious sign of a wound on her paw. I immediately took her to the vet and I'm glad I did because it turns out she also had a fever. Even though our situations are a bit different, I wouldn't wait longer than tomorrow if the paw is still swollen since you don't want an infection to start. Wishing your kitty a quick recovery!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover618

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

My cat had the same thing happen today, except there is no obvious sign of a wound on her paw. I immediately took her to the vet and I'm glad I did because it turns out she also had a fever. Even though our situations are a bit different, I wouldn't wait longer than tomorrow if the paw is still swollen since you don't want an infection to start. Wishing your kitty a quick recovery!
Thank I decided no chances...I took him and he did have a fever. They drained his foot and cut a slit so more fluid could drain. My vet didnt find and puss or infection he said it was just inflammed/swollen. Trouble was a little out of it for a few hours and pooped, and threw up....but after that he felt 1000x's better, walking on it, playing, eating. I was able to see/push out his nail....looks like it broke while they were playing!

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover618

Thank I decided no chances...I took him and he did have a fever. They drained his foot and cut a slit so more fluid could drain. My vet didnt find and puss or infection he said it was just inflammed/swollen. Trouble was a little out of it for a few hours and pooped, and threw up....but after that he felt 1000x's better, walking on it, playing, eating. I was able to see/push out his nail....looks like it broke while they were playing!
I started doing warm compresses last night after some advice from friends and a bit of research and I think that has really helped. My cat's paw is about 90% better this morning and she too is walking on it normally again. I think mine was stung or bit by an insect. There was a dead yellowjacket at my bedroom door yesterday morning but if that's what cause it her paw didn't swell for a minimum of 5 hours after which is odd to me. Who knows really, I'm just glad she's now recovering. Did your vet give you any antibiotics or anything?