Got hit with spyware

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH was on the computer earlier, he clicked to watch this video and a bunch of spyware got in. All of them are the ones that say stuff like "your computer's infected" blah blah, trying to get you to buy there removal program. I ran my own spyware removal and got them all but one. It's called Antivirus xp 2008. It actually installed itself on my computer and I'm having trouble getting it off. I tried removing it in add or remove programs but it wouldn't work. This is such a pain in the you know what. I ran my own virus program too and it found four but didn't give me the option to remove them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing you need to do - Don't let your husband use the computer.
Honestly though, make him a user account with limits to prevent him from installing anything - accidentally or intentionally. While you're at it, make yourself a power user or limited user account for everyday use.

Go to google and look up "Antivirus xp 2008".
Here is just one site that tells what to do http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-remo...antivirus-2008
I suggest manual removal as you will know what you did and didn't remove - and since I suspect it might be the trojan part that's giving you problems, you may have to manually remove it anyways just to get all of it.

Another handly little thing to download is a program called HijackThis. If you run into any serious problems you can post a copy of the report to here or (preferably) a tech forum and find help as they'll be able to see more clearly what is going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

First thing you need to do - Don't let your husband use the computer.
Honestly though, make him a user account with limits to prevent him from installing anything - accidentally or intentionally. While you're at it, make yourself a power user or limited user account for everyday use.

Go to google and look up "Antivirus xp 2008".
Here is just one site that tells what to do http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-remo...antivirus-2008
I suggest manual removal as you will know what you did and didn't remove - and since I suspect it might be the trojan part that's giving you problems, you may have to manually remove it anyways just to get all of it.

Another handly little thing to download is a program called HijackThis. If you run into any serious problems you can post a copy of the report to here or (preferably) a tech forum and find help as they'll be able to see more clearly what is going on.
Thanks for the links. I'm going to follow the instuctions on how to remove this stupid thing manually since my spyware program can't seem to get it off.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And to that I'd add restoring back to a Restore Point from before the infection.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

And to that I'd add restoring back to a Restore Point from before the infection.
Considering that she just did one recently and that it says the trojan usually comes in with a codec - I'd be suspicious as it's possible the last restore point wasn't clean.

Good luck getting rid of everything. I only had to deal with one trojan over 10+ years and it had to be manually dug out. Luckily everything else was always stopped before it could even get on my system.
As I suggested, set up the user accounts and step up computer care/security and you shouldn't have to worry.