Food issues

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A cat adopted me about 20 years ago, and that was my first experience with cats. She was a year-old stray when she came into my life, and I gave her free access to both wet and dry food (supermarket brands). She regulated her weight until her last year of life (always 11 lbs), and she lived to almost 20, so the food couldn't have been that bad.

Two months after I lost her, I adopted a 5-year-old male from a shelter. They told me that they fed both wet and dry, but he wanted nothing but canned (not a problem for me), but I wanted to give him a dry option for times that he might be hungry, etc.

I e-mailed 4 premium companies, and they all sent me samples to try. His favorite is Taste of the Wild, and I think I'm going to stay with that unless someone knows something bad about it. I really like the fact that it's grain free. If they develop a wet version, I would go with that as well. Right now he's on Fancy Feast. Any suggestions for a better wet food? I'm skeptical about premium brands because my former cat did so well on FF--and when there was that problem with pet food, FF was NOT one of the brands involved but many premium ones were.

But I want to do the best for my guy, so any suggestions are welcome.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
For me, there is never a reason to feed dry foods. People live to be 100 on mcdonalds and cigarettes but that doesn't mean the stuff is good or healthy. Living also isn't thriving http://www.catinfo.org/
Fancy feast I call a midle grade cat food. The good thing is a muscle meat is the first ingrediant. The bad things are meal and grains
A premium brand will have a muscle meat as the first ingrediant and no grains or fillers.
wellness and merrick are a few and had no problems with the recall

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
not sure what you're paying for the FF, or what's available in your area...
mine eat authority lamb & rice [got a male prone to urinary issues, so no fish]. it's usually $0.61 per 6 ounce can, so about $0.10 an ounce.
if there is petsmart/petco in your area, Nutro is also not bad - about $0.71 per 6 ounce can in my area. chicken soup is also a good wet - prices vary [like all of them] but it's comparable to the authority or nutro.
supermarket brands - Meow Mix tubs/pouches are not bad, but rather fish-heavy. there's a new MM in some areas that isn't as fish-heavy - "wholesome goodness" - but i haven't found it around here, yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi-

Thanks for responding. I can get almost any type of food in my area because there's a store nearby that focuses on quality, premium pet food.

I prefer something without fillers--which is why I like the dry Taste of the Wild--it's completely grain free--so I'll probably check out the Wellness, Nutro, and some of the other canned food to see what works best.

The reason I've been trying to add dry food is that my guy likes to eat at least four times during the day, and he doesn't like stale wet food--nor do I. However, although I'm usually home (retired) and can give him fresh canned food whenever he wants, there are days when I am out and can only give him cans morning and evening. And when I travel (admittedly rarely, but I have to be prepared), I cannot have a sitter who feeds him throughout the day.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappilyRetired

Hi-

Thanks for responding. I can get almost any type of food in my area because there's a store nearby that focuses on quality, premium pet food.

I prefer something without fillers--which is why I like the dry Taste of the Wild--it's completely grain free--so I'll probably check out the Wellness, Nutro, and some of the other canned food to see what works best.

The reason I've been trying to add dry food is that my guy likes to eat at least four times during the day, and he doesn't like stale wet food--nor do I. However, although I'm usually home (retired) and can give him fresh canned food whenever he wants, there are days when I am out and can only give him cans morning and evening. And when I travel (admittedly rarely, but I have to be prepared), I cannot have a sitter who feeds him throughout the day.
Hi, this Taste of the Wild, is it a canned food? What is the company name and where did you get it?

Thanks!