Copperheads!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH is working on a side project completely redoing a house his friend's wife inherited from her father. It is an older house, and they are having EVERYTHING redone including an addition being put on. They were pulling the old siding off today so they can reside it, and in the process they found a nest of copperheads living in the rafters! They don't know how many yet, but they found a few snake skins, and saw at least two babies disappear into the roof. His friend is calling an exterminator to try to get rid of them, but DH said he would take care of as many as he can find (testosterone working overtime here).

Now, they aren't living there yet, but they do have a 1 1/2 year old, so they do have to go. I don't mind black snakes, grass snakes, anything non poisonous....but I don't what them living in my house. Anything poisonous has to go!

Basically, I need vibes that DH doesn't try to be a hero and get bit. I don't THINK he will take chances but he has a tendency to think of something like this as a challenge. Men...what do you do?

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG I hate snakes!! any kind of snake gives me the creeps! I hope your hubby and anyone else dealing with the problem will be ok.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he called someone and is going to pay for their service I think he should let them take care of this little problem.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

If he called someone and is going to pay for their service I think he should let them take care of this little problem.
I agree. Let someone more experienced handle it. As for what to do to keep them out in the future - hopefully the repairs will help, as will cleaning up any sort of brush around the house itself.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll just add that one to my list of reasons for living in "cold" Canada.
It will go beside Tornado, Hurricane, Earthquake and Flood.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes! I hope the exterminator got there quickly!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'll just add that one to my list of reasons for living in "cold" Canada.
It will go beside Tornado, Hurricane, Earthquake and Flood.
Yes no poisonous snakes here, or fleas, I guess cold does have some advantages

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
eek!
I do NOT do posinious snakes
(cute little baby boas or pythons are one thing- but copperheads?
)

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To bad we don't live near you. My husband used to be a part of a group that caught rattle snakes and milked them for their venom. He was in a Herpatology club. He is really good at dealing with snakes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: DH came home about 2 hours ago. Turns out there ARE snakes in the rafters, but based on the skins he saw they are rat snakes, not copperheads. He wasn't there (he was working his actual job) when his crew saw the babies and apparently rat snake babies look similiar to copperheads? Anyway, that's what he said. The snake guy never did show up, so they still have snakes in the rafters, but at least they are pretty sure they aren't poisonous. So, that's a good thing. But the owner and his wife were up, and she was NOT impressed with snakes being in her soon-to-be house!