Bats at Feeding Time!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, wanted to share some pictures of feeding time for two juvenile rescue bats.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Bats are NOT pets. My friend works full-time at a wildlife rescue centre, and they rescued these two juvenile bats. They were found on the floor and were unable to fly. Everytime they tried they would smack into something. They are being raised till they are old enough and strong enough to be released into the wild.

One of the bats is male, he's named Count.. And the other is female, she's named Feisty.

Picture time! Sorry they are fuzzy. These bats are barely the size of my palm... Super small, and very active. Difficult to take pix of them.

These pix are mainly of Feisty, the little girl, because I was feeding her. My friend was feeding Count on the other side of the table. In the first pic you can see my gloved hand (they bite, and I'm not vaccinated against rabies) holding up the mangled toilet roll which Feisty is nestling in, and my friend is feeding a little black speck partially hidden under another toilet roll, which is a very cranky Count

In the background of the next pic, you can see a box of mealworms *eurgh*... Feisty LOVES them, while Count prefers crickets *double eurgh!*

Some close-ups of Feisty after her meal. The little girl finished 35 mealworms and nibbled on some cricket tonight!

The food that got away... it must have sneaked into the toilet roll with them while we were putting them back into their cage. Good luck to him!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

What an experience!

BATS ARE NOT PETS!
Well its true! Depriving them of the space they could roam as wild animals is inhumane. Besides, they really are cranky and nip on fingers. While this seldom draws blood, in the event it does, you could be infected with some serious bacteria and other stuff.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love bats!
There are a few (or lots)residing in my garden and probably in my roof. When my orphan cats were growing up and learning about cat life
they caught a couple of baby bats
But now they leave them alone. Thank God!

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwww...cute!
I love bats,but don't know alot about them.
There are some in my neighbourhood...I seen one once and have heard them at night.There are loads of moths and other bugs in my neighbourhood,because there are tons of trees,so the bats are hanging out here!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When e had the house with the pool, we would go in it at night, and the bats would dive bomb the smoke from DH's cigarettes. It was so cool to watch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

When e had the house with the pool, we would go in it at night, and the bats would dive bomb the smoke from DH's cigarettes. It was so cool to watch.
That's cool! Daring batties
Wonder if Count and Feisty will ever divebomb anywhere. The rescue folks are gonna buy a machine which can apparently help test if they are deaf or dumb... which is in turn gonna determine if they will ever fly again.