I deserved to get bit...

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marcie bit me and I deserved it. After all, I did have my fingers in her mouth trying to pry it open so hubby could put an extremely bitter pill down her throat. I have a small puncture wound on my finger. I washed it out really well with soap, but I have been reading all the infected cat bite threads that the search function dregded up so now I am actually worried that it will get infected. Oh well, I guess it serves me right...

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep it clean, and if you see any signs of redness, swelling or inflammation, beyond what you would normally see with a cut, call the doctor. You may want to call anyone and see if it would be wise to get antibiotics just in case, or they may give you a more comprehensive list of things to watch for.

As for bitter pills, if you have to give them in the future, I recommend putting them in empty gel caps. A lot of health stores and some pharmacies carry them. The gel caps have the advantage of being large enough that they are easy to hold onto (they come in several sizes) as well as masking the taste of the pill. Since one of my boys is currently on Cosequin for his joints, I've been saving the capsules for potential future use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That gel cap idea is really great! I will have to try it next time some pills are prescribed...Thanks!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Marcie bit me and I deserved it. After all, I did have my fingers in her mouth trying to pry it open so hubby could put an extremely bitter pill down her throat. I have a small puncture wound on my finger. I washed it out really well with soap, but I have been reading all the infected cat bite threads that the search function dregded up so now I am actually worried that it will get infected. Oh well, I guess it serves me right...
That's exactly my outlook. Persi put me in ICU for over two weeks but we are the very best of buddies. He is my second best friend, after DW. Just like you said, I guess it serves me right...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate pilling cats. Bijou has been on antibiotics for over a week now but bless the person that invented pill pockets. I cut the pill into quarters, put a quarter in 1/2 a pill pocket and put the 4 pieces down for Bijou. He waits for them! He sometimes will take 2-3 in his mouth in one go. It sure beats trying to stuff a pill down his throat. The only problem is keeping Mika away from Bijou's "treats".
She has no problem putting her head in under Bijou's chin and stealing his treats and big Woos that he is, he let's her. I have to put some Temptations down for her to distract her from his pills.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Didn't anyone tell you how to pill your cat? I am alone and was always able to pill my (very difficult) female ny myself. I learned to wrap my hand around her neck so that I could squeeze her jaw at the hinges to force her mouth open. With my other hand, I dropped in the pill and then closed her mouth before she could spit it out. With one hand holding her mouth closed, I then massaged her throat to induce her to swallow. There is no danger of being bitten, as your hands don't really go into the mouth at all.

Since I had to do this alone, I first wrapped her securely in a towel to insure that I didn't get clawed in the process.

This probably sounds awful, but it works quickly. Fortunately, later in her life, almost all her meds were liquids!