Anyone have a belly button ring that healed?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been wondering this for awhile now. I have a navel ring and want to keep it for summer (I got it around 7 years ago) but comes winter I want to take it out to let it heal. Does anyone know how long this takes? I keep thinking at 30 I should start thinking I will be having kids in a few years I cringe at the thought of it not being healed. Does it stretch so I am going to have a huge stretched out hole in my belly if i get preggy!!!

Thanks all!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the hole heals but doesn't go away - I let mine heal about 10 years ago.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took mine out about 5 years ago and the hole is gone. I do have a scar there now, but no holes.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a hole, but I only had the jewellery in for a couple of weeks before I removed it. It kept tearing because I sleep on my tummy. I got a tattoo instead.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No it will not give you a permanently stretched out hole. If you want to keep it open, they make long flexible teflon barbells that will accomodate an expanding belly during pregnancy. If you put plastic beads on on it, it will not even interfere with any ultrasound procedures or labor and delivery.

chadsgirl374

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took mine out last year and it did not leave a hole. I had it in for 2 years. I have a minor scar from it, but it's not very detectable.

I've never been pregnant though nor have a gained weight so I can't answer to whether or not you would have a huge gaping scar there if you decided to remove it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I have a belly button ring, but have no idea if it ever really heals after having it for so long! I doubt being pregnant will stretch it out outrageously large. Like previously mentioned, they make flexible PTFE barbells for pregnancy so you can keep the piercing if you want to.

I figure if they do close at all, it might just be on the surface. A girl at work had taken hers out for a few years, and they really only had to puncture the top and bottom layers of skin again to repierce.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I took mine out about 5 years ago and the hole is gone. I do have a scar there now, but no holes.
that's what I meant - I have a scar/indentation

Originally Posted by krazy kat2

No it will not give you a permanently stretched out hole. If you want to keep it open, they make long flexible teflon barbells that will accomodate an expanding belly during pregnancy. If you put plastic beads on on it, it will not even interfere with any ultrasound procedures or labor and delivery.
what will they think of next.

I know I gained weight when I had it and it pushed my ring out - I think it was getting pushed out anyway....my body didn't like it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just recommend getting belly rings especially designed for pregnancy- they make many wonderful flexible ones to choose from! Just make sure you get the right gauge!!! I'm going to use these when i get pregnant
I love my piercing too much to let it close up right now. Don't make the mistake of putting thin wire or floss like some people do in your piercing when you're pregnant- you want to use the same (or close to it) gauge of flexible piercing materials as you used pre pregnancy so the area doesn't grow in and make it too hard to fit the proper size in after pregnancy.

http://www.maternitypiercings.com/
http://www.sexynavelrings.com/pregna...-button-rings/
http://stores.ebay.com/Bodyville_Mat...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
http://www.babiesnbellies.com/shop/i...&products_id=1
http://mybellyboutique.com/catalog.php?category=98

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had mine since I was a young teen and have gained about 20-25 lbs. since my lanky teen years, no problem with the belly ring. Baby weight shouldn't be more than 20-25 lbs. I wouldn't think. Never had one though.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, there are special kinds of jewelry that are made to be flexible. You can use that and not have to take it out. I haven't seen any of those in piercing shops or jewelry stores, but I've seen plenty online. Starryeyedtiger provided some great links. Good luck deciding what you want to do.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive had weight gain and I gained a lot in those brief weeks of being pregnant, despise not taking my belly ring out, my stomac as gone back to normal. It has grown out since i got it though. I know it will be a scar. But depending if you get a cesarean or not either way your belly is ruined :p

I know that every woman reacts differently to pregnancy though.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I have had mine since I was a young teen and have gained about 20-25 lbs. since my lanky teen years, no problem with the belly ring. Baby weight shouldn't be more than 20-25 lbs. I wouldn't think. Never had one though.
You are supposed to gain a minimum of 30 pounds if you are average weight beforehand-- most people gain more than that.

I don't have a belly-button piercing, but a few others. After seven years, you may or may not be stuck with it, but it will just look the way it does now at worst. That is, nobody is ever going to notice it unless you point it out.

My nosering is optional now, I can take it out or put it in whenever I feel like it, and nobody knows I have one unless it's in. And that is on my face! So I'm sure nobody will ever know there's a hole in your bellybutton. Even if they happen to notice it, they're not going to think anything of it.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The girl next door (very skinny) kept her ring in while she was pregnant and her hole enlarged, she let it close up but it is still a dark spot on her belly. She was not happy.
K.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zissou'sMom;2350115 said:
You are supposed to gain a minimum of 30 pounds if you are average weight beforehand-- most people gain more than that.

Sorry to interject, but this is untrue. While it is true that many, if not most women gain more than this, a 30 pound weight gain during pregnancy is excessive and (close to) unhealthy. The exception is if the woman is underweight beforehand, or is carrying multiple babies. We have a major health problem with gestational diabetes, obesity, and associated childhood onset morbidities. The excess weight of Baby, increased blood volume, amniotic fluid, placentae, increased uterine and breast tissue weights is about 13-20 lbs. Anything over this is just extra fat you are storing for yourself, as a difficult to get rid of post-pregnancy gift. A wise doctor will give a woman about a 5lb buffer (18-25lbs to gain), as a 5lb excess weight gain in less than a year is "managable" and "healthy" in terms of being able to be easily corrected. Anything above this and you are putting your current and future health, as well as the future health of your baby at serious risk. Women who are overweight and become pregnant should gain less, as they already have excess energy stores that can be "used" to assist nutrient balance during pregnancy.

On a different note, because a belly ring is not a "straight through" piercing, (its more of a pulled up pocket of skin) the "holes" will always heal over. Everyone I know who had a belly or eyebrow ring and removed it was left with a small scar, that is BARELY noticeable. Said scar might stretch out a bit and be more noticeable during pregnancy, but as your body returns to its pre-pregnancy state, it will "shrink" back down. Pure vitamin E oil of greater than 20000 IU works WONDERS for piercing scars and stretch marks, so is definately your friend during this point in time!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I took mine out when I was 7 months pregnant because I thought it looked tacky

I don't have any kind of scar or anything from it

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

On a different note, because a belly ring is not a "straight through" piercing, (its more of a pulled up pocket of skin) the "holes" will always heal over. Everyone I know who had a belly or eyebrow ring and removed it was left with a small scar, that is BARELY noticeable. Said scar might stretch out a bit and be more noticeable during pregnancy, but as your body returns to its pre-pregnancy state, it will "shrink" back down. Pure vitamin E oil of greater than 20000 IU works WONDERS for piercing scars and stretch marks, so is definately your friend during this point in time!
I used to have an eye brow ring for years, one day I took it out and when it healed up and you cannot see the hole anymore unless you look REALLY hard, there is barely anything there.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I love my belly ring so I've never tried to let it close up but I kinda don't think it would... my mom has second holes in her ears and at the very most she puts earrings in them once a year and they didn't close up

The woman across the street from us kept her belly ring in through 3 pregnancies and I plan to do the same... somewhere around here I have the plastic "retainer" rings from hs when I high jumped for track - we werent' allowed to wear jewelry in competition so I just put in a clear plastic one and no one noticed... I also used them for MRIs (I usually forget about it during xrays and it showed up on my xray-guided spinal tap... I totally didn't think about it until the doctor goes "oh nice naval ring" haha)

You can take it out and see what happens... if it does close up, there are lots of things out there now to help lighten/remove scars