Kittens with Worms? LIKELY?

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About 2 months ago, I found a litter of kittens in my garage that looked in pretty bad shape so I kept one as my own and took the rest to the local humane society. My question is: how likely is it that it has worms and will need to be dewormed? How much would that cost at the humane society along with all of the necessary vaccines and neutering? Can I deworm it myself with over the counter items?

heidi2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My personal thing is always every kitten has worms!
I am a foster Mom and every kitten we find or have has to be dewormed! I dont know about dewormer over the counter i always go to our local vet and it is not that expensive!
I would say YES to deworming!!!!!!

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deworming was only $7 at my vet.
It is not so bad! But yes, do have the kitten dewormed, especially if it is a stray. Worms are no fun.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

Deworming was only $7 at my vet.
It is not so bad! But yes, do have the kitten dewormed, especially if it is a stray. Worms are no fun.
but don't use the OTC stuff - doesn't work & can hurt the kitty.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely have the kitten dewormed and vaccinated and tested too. Your vet will tell you when you can neuter him. They can do it as young as 8 weeks but definitely have the neutering done before 4-5 months. It would just be easiest to have it all done at the vet, get the kitten established with your vet and since he will need a series of vaccines and dewormings (not just one time) the vet is the best way to go.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dewormers from the vet are cheap and you can do it yourself but only use the stuff the vet gives.
All of my cats have been dewormed. Even the ones from shelters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At my area, the lowest cost is this to de-worm: 20$ for testing and 35$ for the actual de-worming. I am planning to give it all the shots when it is 5-6 months old which is when I can spay it and give it vaccinations at the same time. Do you think it can wait about 2 more months? Is the probability of it having worms really that high?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly would not wait for shots or worming. I would skip the tests and go straight to deworm. I have never been charged to test for worms. My vet deworms period.
Worms can cause many health issues for a kitten.

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So at this local humane society with these options: http://sgvhumane.org/vaccinations/

I would need these right now ? :

Hookworm & Roundworm……….$20.00-$25.00

FRCP (panleukopenia, rhinotracheitis,calci,chlamydia)………….$16.00

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a stray kitten, you would certainly need hookworm, roundworm and tapeworm de-worming and for vaccines, you most certainly need the series of Feline Rhinotraceitis, Calici, Panleukopenia and Chlamydia (I normally don't give the Chlamydia, so I am not certain how important that is for a stray), usually given in sets administered 2 to 3 weeks apart for 3 weeks. Rabies, if required, is normally done at 16 weeks of age. Try not to give the Rabies vaccine on the same day as the other vaccines. Wait about ten days to two weeks between the two vaccines in order for Baby not to have an immune system overload and possible vaccine reaction. Do not delay these things until you alter the kitten. Do them now and also make an appointment soon with the vet that your kitten will be seeing permanantly to get to know him/her and for him/her to become familiar with your kitten.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely don't wait on the vaccines and deworming. Remember they need a SERIES of shots and deworming, not just one. Typically this is done at 6 weeks and then every 3 weeks until 12-15 weeks. So that is 3 vaccines along with 3 dewormings. You have to at least do 2 as one is the initial vaccine and then the booster 3 weeks later. If you skip the booster then that basically cancels the first one out.

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For a 2-3 month old kitten, what OTC product should I use to deworm it? Right now my local humane society opens only 2-4 mon-wed and I have school during those hours so there is no way I can take it. If possible I really hope that I can use a OTC product.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dN-WaKE

For a 2-3 month old kitten, what OTC product should I use to deworm it? Right now my local humane society opens only 2-4 mon-wed and I have school during those hours so there is no way I can take it. If possible I really hope that I can use a OTC product.
in all honesty, none. wormers are basically poison [all of them, really] & i wouldn't use any of the OTC stuff.

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The Animal Hospitals around me cost about 25 dollars to deworm for hook + round worms and 25 dollars to deworm tape worms. Do I need to do both of these?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dN-WaKE

The Animal Hospitals around me cost about 25 dollars to deworm for hook + round worms and 25 dollars to deworm tape worms. Do I need to do both of these?
Definitely deworm for hooks and roundworms. When you found the kittens were there any fleas? If not then you could probably hold off on that one. Just look in the litterbox for little rice like segments or around the cats bottom. If you see that it is tapeworm and you will have to get them in to be treated.

Just find a place that will do it all (vaccines, deworming, neuter) If the kitten is 8 weeks it can be neutered and really needs to get in for vaccines and worming.

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first took my kitten in from my garage, it was dirty so I cleaned it up really well with a Flea Killing Kitten shampoo. Also, I've never seen any rice like fragments around its bottom or in the litter box. So do you guys think that all it needs is hook and round worm killing?

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What state are you located? Maybe we can help you find a low cost place?

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in Southern California. Where do you guys to to find a low cost vet? I've been googling it but so far all I've found are animal hospitals.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
call your local humane society or animal shelter and ask if they can suggest any

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't it be weird to call my humane society that offers vaccinations and the sort to ask them to recommend me another place that does it for cheaper?