Well this is upsetting

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have read my post in Tech Talk about how I was trying to combine my pictures into just a few folders and now they are lost. I ran a recovery program just incase they were deleted but that didn't turn up anything. I've done a search on my computer to find all pictures, nothing. The reason I'm so bummed is because like 70 pictures of Popsie are gone.
Yeah, I can take new pics of him but it just won't be the same. I don't know how much longer he'll be around and I'd like to have all those pictures for memories. I guess I'm S O L though.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

You may have read my post in Tech Talk about how I was trying to combine my pictures into just a few folders and now they are lost. I ran a recovery program just incase they were deleted but that didn't turn up anything. I've done a search on my computer to find all pictures, nothing. The reason I'm so bummed is because like 70 pictures of Popsie are gone.
Yeah, I can take new pics of him but it just won't be the same. I don't know how much longer he'll be around and I'd like to have all those pictures for memories. I guess I'm S O L though.
You can try doing a restore of your computer. Not sure if that will help or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Mommy

You can try doing a restore of your computer. Not sure if that will help or not.
I've already tried that. Good news though, I've found some of Popsie's pictures. Now I just have to hunt down the rest.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck! I hope you find them 'cos that would be so upsetting to lose them all.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remembered, many years ago ...ok, around 10 or so (has it really been that long?!) when I used ME for a bit. Something similar would happen when I would try to rename stuff - it would delete, for good.

For future reference, when moving folders use "copy" then delete the files from the old location once they're copied where you want them. It prevents some accidents - errors losing the files or sudden power outage losing them.

Just wondering though. How big was the folder/amount of pictures you were moving at one time? Were you doing anything else on the computer? other programs running? Was it very slow moving them?
How much physical ram do you have? and how much virtual memory (page file/swap file) do you do you have set for Windows to use from the hard drive?

If you've wrote anything else to your hard drive, even that restore, it can make using a data recovery program useless.
Another option is try looking for the individual names in the search.

Just be glad you didn't lose 300gig+ of stuff. Files, translations I'd worked on, pictures, bookmarks, everything. And it doesn't look good with sector errors...

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got three words for y'all:

Backup hard drive

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Backup hard drive

Two words : You buying?

...sad thing is that I had hard drives laying around and had been meaning to put another computer together - one just doesn't expect their motherboard's IDE channels to spontaneously mess up. I'm sure lovmycat wasn't expecting whatever error happened, sadly it's a learning experience.
After being through a couple of bad OS crashes and a dying hard drive, I used to back up files regularly for years but had slacked. Everything can be replaced, some of it will just be a little painful (the translations
).

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I just remembered, many years ago ...ok, around 10 or so (has it really been that long?!) when I used ME for a bit. Something similar would happen when I would try to rename stuff - it would delete, for good.

For future reference, when moving folders use "copy" then delete the files from the old location once they're copied where you want them. It prevents some accidents - errors losing the files or sudden power outage losing them.

Just wondering though. How big was the folder/amount of pictures you were moving at one time? Were you doing anything else on the computer? other programs running? Was it very slow moving them?
How much physical ram do you have? and how much virtual memory (page file/swap file) do you do you have set for Windows to use from the hard drive?

If you've wrote anything else to your hard drive, even that restore, it can make using a data recovery program useless.
Another option is try looking for the individual names in the search.

Just be glad you didn't lose 300gig+ of stuff. Files, translations I'd worked on, pictures, bookmarks, everything. And it doesn't look good with sector errors...
Well I was just taking folders with not many pics in them and putting them in folders with a decent amount. Then I took like one folder with a decent amount and put it in another. I did notice while I was doing it, sometimes I'd get this message that would say "can't move folder because it's being used by another program." I would click OK and try to move the folder again and it would move.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Try going to your start button, click on search and type in one of these-

*.jpg
*.jpeg
*.gif
*.bmp

I found a bunch on my computer that way a few weeks ago, after I thought I had lost all of mine. And I found them all in a hidden folder!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well I was just taking folders with not many pics in them and putting them in folders with a decent amount. Then I took like one folder with a decent amount and put it in another. I did notice while I was doing it, sometimes I'd get this message that would say "can't move folder because it's being used by another program." I would click OK and try to move the folder again and it would move.
Is it possible that one of those times you clicked ok that it could have been asking if you would like to replace such and such folder with another? That would very easily explain what happened - no fault to you, of course, as it happens.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Two words : You buying?
Well it's not as expensive as an actual computer, far cheaper in fact. I don't think I would ever get over losing all of my pictures. It's too big of a risk for me, so I saved up for one. I don't have any more money than anyone else, it's just that it's a priority for me. I have thousands of pictures, and I won't lose them, I refuse.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Try going to your start button, click on search and type in one of these-

*.jpg
*.jpeg
*.gif
*.bmp

I found a bunch on my computer that way a few weeks ago, after I thought I had lost all of mine. And I found them all in a hidden folder!
I'll try that tomorrow. I've had enough searching for one day.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Backup hard drive

My Husband got me a 160 Gig Western Digital External Hard Drive for our 6th Wedding Anniversary last year... (SUCH the Romantic)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...291&CatId=2424

I Back up all my important Files and ALL my Photos on it Regularly.

They Come in Red, Pink, Blue, Black, Grey, White, etc... LOL!
For $89 Not to bad for backing up your Memories... I call it my Digital Photo Album... My kids entire LIVES thus far are on that Drive... I gotta print some of that stuff out

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That same thing happened to me. I wasn't even trying to upload or combine any pictures, and the computer just shut down. After many attempts at switching it back on, it turned out that the hard drive had worn out
And I was extremely upset cuz I had lost nearly all my pictures of Tab. And I can't get new ones.

Now I just keep everything backed up onto Photobucket.