What dental floss do you use?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Random question, i know, but i'm curious what everyone else uses!

I use Oral B Satin Floss http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...36&id=prod2336 I'm super picky about what i use (i have rediculiously sensitive gums and don't like thicker floss! I'm allergic to cinnamon too if it gets near my mouth- so i have to be picky!) I tried using that dental tape stuff once at my mom's house when i ran out of my regular floss- and man, i think i almost yanked a tooth out with it
So needless to say, i stick to the thinner stuff

What dental floss do you use? Why?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, I have no clue. I'd have to go and look. I just buy whatever is on sale.

When I floss I double up the thread so that it's thicker. My teeth just don't feel "flossed" if I use a single strand.

So far as flavour goes, I'd prefer unflavoured, but I can't seem to find that and end up buying mint.

In fact I wish they would come out with a 100% flavourless toothpaste. More times than not, I end up brushing my teeth with just water because I can't stand the taste of toothpaste, mouthwash or floss. *blech*

Toothpaste makes me gag and throw up. I can tolerate the gel style, but just bearly. I always end up retching and gagging when I brush my teeth.

The next time you run out of floss, try using just plain cotton sewing thread
You can run it through an unscented candle if you want it waxed.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Glide floss...it's been my favorite since it came out years ago.

I second that wish for flavorless toothpaste. I have an autoimmune disorder which causes sores in my mouth (similar to geographic tongue, but much, much more painful!) Any mint flavor burns my mouth, so I usually go with the Kids Aquafresh bubblegum flavor. Sometimes I need to use a 2% Lidocaine rinse before brushing my teeth to help with the pain.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could floss easily.

I have retainers cemented to the backs of my front teeth on top and bottom. Makes is really hard to floss there!

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

So far as flavour goes, I'd prefer unflavoured, but I can't seem to find that and end up buying mint.

In fact I wish they would come out with a 100% flavourless toothpaste. More times than not, I end up brushing my teeth with just water because I can't stand the taste of toothpaste, mouthwash or floss. *blech*
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I use the Glide floss...it's been my favorite since it came out years ago.

I second that wish for flavorless toothpaste. I have an autoimmune disorder which causes sores in my mouth (similar to geographic tongue, but much, much more painful!) Any mint flavor burns my mouth, so I usually go with the Kids Aquafresh bubblegum flavor. Sometimes I need to use a 2% Lidocaine rinse before brushing my teeth to help with the pain.
I looked up a few unflavored pastes and rinses online - maybe you two could try these

flavor free rinse
http://www.oxydental.com/products/rinse_unflavored.asp

now this is interesting- it's a powder you dip your brush into

http://vitanetonline.com/description...-Powder-Plain/

this one is strawberry flavored - it sounds kinda good!

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/prod...Fid=TP%2DChild

They make lemon-lime and apricot too! (so not exactly unflavored by any means- but may be a good alternative to people who dislike mint)
http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/prod...50&pf_id=TP-DM

this website has a lot of different varieties
http://www.dentist.net/mint-free-toothpaste.asp

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm definitly going to order the first one! That looks like something that would work for me. Unfortunately the unflavored powder is discontinued in the second link. I've tried Toms Naturals, with less than satisfactory results, but I'm sure there's others who love it.

Thanks for posting the links!!! I never would have thought of doing a search in a million years, lol!

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I need to use floss more often... It's so easy to just skip that step, lol. I prefer just regular old waxed floss. I usually get mint, but flavor isn't all that important.

For toothpaste and mouthwash, I use Biotene.. the sodium lauryl sulfate in regular toothpastes gives me mouth sores, as does mouthwash with fluoride. I can handle the fluoride in toothpaste as long as I'm using the mouthwash afterward.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not loyal to any brand. So long as its Cinnamon.

I use Cinnamon toothpaste & Cinnamon Mouthwash... I like the smell of cinnamon... those that dont... shouldnt talk to me about 20 mins after I brush. LOL!

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I wish I could floss easily.

I have retainers cemented to the backs of my front teeth on top and bottom. Makes is really hard to floss there!

Leslie
My hygenist showed me an easy way to floss where my permanent retainer is on my bottom 6 front teeth. Let's hope I can explain this! Take the floss wrap it around the tooth so that you are holding both sides of the floss out front towards the mirror if you're looking into one. Move it back and forth and it will floss both sides of that tooth and go under where that blasted wire is so you can get down into your gums. Just do that with each tooth and you should be able to get stuff unstuck from that area. Before she told me that I used to use those floss threader things, but this way is much easier. Hope I explained that well enough. I do better at visually explaining things lol

Oh, and I use the Glide floss someone else already mentioned in this thread.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate flossing with real floss so I use floss picks and keep them in my purse, car, and at home. I try to make it as easy as possible for me