Help!!! ASAP WILL CAT HURT MY KITTEN?

loopybex123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I decided that my cat Oliver was lonely (from constant crying!) so we now have an 8 week old kitten Bow,
The thing is I'm introducing them slowly but whenever Oliver does get face to face with the kitten he will get its scruff with his mouth (but doesn't bite down hard) and will even kick it with his hind legs but without the claws.
The kitten never cries it sometime even purrs, and Oliver will lick the kitten and i caught him cleaning his bottom.
I'm very confused because I'm afraid to leave them alone together in case Bow gets hurt!
Its ASAP because I'm sick of both of them crying to get to each other!!!!!!

please help!

Becky x x

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Oliver is just showing his dominance over the newcomer. It's normal. He doesn't sound like he is trying to hurt the kitten, just telling him, "Im the boss here"
Heh heh, he almost sounds like he has made himself "mommy cat", with the scruffing and cleaning up his litle bottom. I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye on them when they are togethor. Don't leave them unsupervised in case trouble does break out, but it doesn't sound like a danger to the kitten.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it does sound like he's just teaching the little one that he's the alpha cat in the house. I wouldn't leave them alone in the house together just yet though. Let them be together when your there and you'll know when your comfortable to leave them on their own. I wouldn't leave Rosie with Sophie for a month after i brought her home, and then i just went out for a couple of hours until i was happy to leave them all day

When feeding them, always make sure Oliver gets his bowl put down to him first, and always scritch him first just so he knows he's still the main one

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When we first got Bugsy we kept him locked in the spare room with a bed, litter, and toys every time we went out. I think we did this for a month just in case. First few days Capone was hissing and growling at him but after about a week they were fine. We still kept them apart for a month because Mommy was paranoid LOL. Now Bugsy runs the house (Including the dog AND Mommy and Daddy) and Capone is the underdog lol, my poor baby.

PS Off topic to Rosiemac: Have i ever told you Rosie is the cutest little thing! Everytime i see her pic i laugh at her cutness. Just had to add that LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loopybex123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm keeping the kitten in the kitchen locked out but its got a big personality and so i feel mean having to keep him separate
. But it does sound like Oliver to be taking on the role of mum because hes such a big softy! He He
Thanks for your reassurance anyway!
Becky x x

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Becky, is your male intact? If so, he does need to be neutered because he is displaying mating tendencies. I would keep these two apart until your kitten is older and stronger. I have sadly seen this type of play accelerate quickly into aggression and then you have an injured kitten. Oliver may have been constantly crying because of other reasons besides lonliness. Was he ever taken to the vet and checked over thoroughly for health issues?

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with hissy. Is he neutered? When I was younger (I was only seven, but I remember very clearly) when we got a new kitten the male of the house did very similar things. We thought they'd be fine, but he ended up hurting the kitten by getting very aggressive.
Try not to feel bad, you're doing the right thing by keeping your kitten safe.
I also agree with hissy on the issue of the crying. I'd have taken him to the vet.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This has been very enlightening to me, as I have just brought home a stray kitten that wsa trying to find a home. One little problem, Spice. I had the kitten in a cage and when spice saw the kitten, she hissed and got bent out of shape. I was thinking that hse might be a bit lonely since sugar's passing about 6-8 weeks ago, and thought this might be a good way to keep her happy. As I have moved, well the unpacking starts in earnest in the morning, I have extra room for the kitten to be alone and safe. I put food an water in the room with a litter box, and closed the door.
My question(s) is/are: When introducing them, should i have the kitten in the cage for protection? I would assume the meetings should be short in duration for the first while? When should I try to have them solicize together. Both have claws still, so I am afraid of them giving the other a real good swat. Not sure how old this kitten is, I am guessing about 3-4 months.
Another question which may seem lame, or very stupid, lol How do you tell if it is a female or male, is it just by body parts like in humans?????
I am thinking i am going to be having fun with this one and got my work cut out for me. I apologize if this is in the wrong area or that i should have started a new thread.
Any help is appreciated

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittydad

Both have claws still, so I am afraid of them giving the other a real good swat. Not sure how old this kitten is, I am guessing about 3-4 months.
Another question which may seem lame, or very stupid, lol How do you tell if it is a female or male, is it just by body parts like in humans?????
I am thinking i am going to be having fun with this one and got my work cut out for me. I apologize if this is in the wrong area or that i should have started a new thread.
Any help is appreciated
That is a GOOD thing that they both have claws. Declawing is never a good idea. Then they don't have the claws and they resort to BITING which is never pleasant. Can also lead to litterbox issues. So please let their claws remain! http://www.de-clawing.com/

If the kitten is 3-4 months old, just lift up the tail. You will either see a small slit just under the anus or you will clearly see testicles. It isn't that hard at all. http://www.kitten-rescue.com/sexing_the_kitten.html

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by loopybex123

I decided that my cat Oliver was lonely (from constant crying!) so we now have an 8 week old kitten Bow,
The thing is I'm introducing them slowly but whenever Oliver does get face to face with the kitten he will get its scruff with his mouth (but doesn't bite down hard) and will even kick it with his hind legs but without the claws.
The kitten never cries it sometime even purrs, and Oliver will lick the kitten and i caught him cleaning his bottom.
I'm very confused because I'm afraid to leave them alone together in case Bow gets hurt!
Its ASAP because I'm sick of both of them crying to get to each other!!!!!!

please help!

Becky x x
They purr, lick each other, play, sounds like things are going well! I hope they are both neutered or they will become very unpleasant in a short time! Intact males are no fun. One will want to show dominance over the other so you have to let that happen naturally. But I wouldn't be too worried, they sound fine.

loopybex123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well he is neutered, and now Oliver and the kitten are getting on fine, the crying for attention has stopped. the kitten isn't neutered because hes only 8 week and they can't have it done till they are 6 month. I definitely didn't need the vet to tell me i had a healthy cat who just wanted to play a little rough, i just wanted to be reassured he would calm himself down. I stay clear of the vet if i can because it causes him undue stress. Becky x

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by loopybex123

Well he is neutered, and now Oliver and the kitten are getting on fine, the crying for attention has stopped. the kitten isn't neutered because hes only 8 week and they can't have it done till they are 6 month. I definitely didn't need the vet to tell me i had a healthy cat who just wanted to play a little rough, i just wanted to be reassured he would calm himself down. I stay clear of the vet if i can because it causes him undue stress. Becky x
I took our boys at 4 1/2 months old to be fixed. I talked to 6 different vets, all of them gave me different ages to neuter at. From 3 months to 6 months, so I kinda split it.
K

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Raven did the same thing to Jack when we got him, he was about 6 weeks old and she was only 9 weeks older than him and I thought she was trying to kill him, but I think she was just trying to let him know she was the boss. I just always supervised them and that behavior only lasted a few days.

loopybex123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by wingss2fly

I took our boys at 4 1/2 months old to be fixed. I talked to 6 different vets, all of them gave me different ages to neuter at. From 3 months to 6 months, so I kinda split it.
K
I have a trusted vet for my animals and they said 6 month so i agreed. So will leave the kitten until its 6 month too. They are fine now anyway, Thanks for your input Becky x x