Vet Recommends Dry (bagged) Food for Cats

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was feeding my new kitten (a male) Meow Mix Market Select tubs, and he was loving them.

His first Vet visit for his first checkup was today, and the doctor said that dry cat food was the best for cats.

Now, based on the limited resaerch I did, I thought moist (canned) was the best--at least the premium canned food. So this surprised me, and the doctor even uttered the word Friskies as a good dry food.

To his credit he didn't even mention Hill's, which is the kind he sells and gives as a complimentary sample, so the cynic in me can't say he wants me to buy from him--becase his office doesn't sell Friskies, etc.

Getting this kitten to now eat dry is going to be a chore.

What dry food do you suggest for a male kitten, or which ones to avoid? Do you agree that dry food is much better and to quote the doctor, "dry food is less prone to give cats urinary diseases." I thought it was just the opposite, but then again, I don't have a doctorate from Michigan State University.

Another dumb question: when he says dry food, I'm assuming that means the crunchy kind, not the moist (dry) bagged food.

Well, soon off to Pet Smart---
Dale

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dale001

I was feeding my new kitten (a male) Meow Mix Market Select tubs, and he was loving them.

His first Vet visit for his first checkup was today, and the doctor said that dry cat food was the best for cats.

Now, based on the limited resaerch I did, I thought moist (canned) was the best--at least the premium canned food. So this surprised me, and the doctor even uttered the word Friskies as a good dry food.

To his credit he didn't even mention Hill's, which is the kind he sells and gives as a complimentary sample, so the cynic in me can't say he wants me to buy from him--becase his office doesn't sell Friskies, etc.

Getting this kitten to now eat dry is going to be a chore.

What dry food do you suggest for a male kitten, or which ones to avoid? Do you agree that dry food is much better and to quote the doctor, "dry food is less prone to give cats urinary diseases." I thought it was just the opposite, but then again, I don't have a doctorate from Michigan State University.

Another dumb question: when he says dry food, I'm assuming that means the crunchy kind, not the moist (dry) bagged food.

Well, soon off to Pet Smart---
Dale
He's not really educated when it comes to cat's nutrition.
Dry food ( kibbles / crunchy / whatever you call it ) is NOT better than canned food... end of story ; and no, dry food is not better for cat's urinary tract health...

Secondly... no offense but Friskies is not a good brand... look at the ingredients... I'll bold the bad stuff that I know of.

Friskies Signature Blend ( Poultry / Beef / Seafood Flavors ):

Ground yellow corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, meat and bone meal ( ??? ), beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soybean meal, animal liver flavor ( ??? ), phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, tuna meal, turkey by-product meal, salmon meal, dried cheese powder... Etc

Ground yellow corn as the main ingredient? filler.
Chicken by product? Ew?
Meat and bone meal? What the heck...

Yeah, no good. - Gasps -

Lastly, I need to know your budget. How much ( maximum ) are you willing to spend... on lets say, a 5 or 6 pound bag of cat food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, this is what I thought to, and I even mentioned it to the Vet, but he said dry.

I guess a post like mine can warrant a debate out there, but no---that wasn't my purpose; I'm genuinely confused now.

Are their links someone can point me to from OTHER VETS anywhere online that discuss this old debate?

Dale

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YOu should PM sharky, our resident cat nutrition expert. I cannot understand why a vet would say that, tho' there are two camps on this subject. It makes sense to avoid ingredients that can trigger crystals in the urine, such as ash (magnesium), but there is more than one kind of urinary issue and crystals.

Cats are obligate carnivores... meat is their preferred food.. not corn meal, etc.

Oh well, I didn't go to MSU veterinary school either.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree! Dry food is not good for them! If your cats are currently eating wet food (canned) please don't switch them over to dry, they will become real finicky and you will have a hard time getting them to eat canned food again.

The vet ain't always right!

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had two cats: Sheba, who only ate dry bagged food, and she lived to be 15 (was put to sleep after developing a tumor near her lung), and Brooke, who had some minor UTI problems eating canned food, (of all things) Fancy Feast—which I just discovered is terrible for cats, but she lived happily and lived to be 20 years old!

I guess Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m thinking too much, and the Vet just made me more perplexed in this debate; I just wish there was an absolute consensus on which is least likely to give Urinary/kidney problems: canned or dry. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s why Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m seeking as much Vet (hopefully objective) input as possible. I realize there are two camps on this issue and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m likely to just have to go with gut instinct, and obviously, vets are not always right. That's becoming obvious.

Dale

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vets in general have little nutritional education... in some schools this is changing ..

YES many many animals lived long lives on grocery dry s .... but as we learn more wet is better IMHO and in most of the studies

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember reading somewhere that Vets don't have a lot of courses on feline (or any kind) of nutrition. They learn some amazing things about animal diseases and disorders, and how to do surgery (amazing!) and everything like that, but they don't have very many courses on actual nutrition. I don't remember where I read this, or I would link you the article. My vet told me something funny related to cat food yesterday and I just politely told her that I did not agree. I like her otherwise but she didn't seem to know a lot about cat foods.

If you want some hefty reading, check this out: Dr. Jean's Expert Forum. Back in April, TCS had a guest expert who is a feline nutritionist. There is some great info in there. Also, check out This website, which is Dr. Jean's website.

Good luck! I think Friskies is a crappy food, too, by the way!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have had two cats: Sheba, who only ate dry bagged food, and she lived to be 15 (was put to sleep after developing a tumor near her lung), and Brooke, who had some minor UTI problems eating canned food, (of all things) Fancy Feast—which I just discovered is terrible for cats, but she lived happily and lived to be 20 years old!

I guess I’m thinking too much, and the Vet just made me more perplexed in this debate; I just wish there was an absolute consensus on which is least likely to give Urinary/kidney problems: canned or dry. That’s why I’m seeking as much Vet (hopefully objective) input as possible. I realize there are two camps on this issue and I’m likely to just have to go with gut instinct, and obviously, vets are not always right. That's becoming obvious.

Dale
I really think you must have misunderstood your vet on the "dry is better to prevent urinary problems" issue. I don't think that has *ever* been the conventional wisdom. I've only heard that dry food is typically loaded with the minerals that cause urinary problems and that eating a dry diet means a cat may not get enough moisture. Both these make a cat on a dry diet to be more at risk for urinary problems. That's not to say that a cat on an all dry diet is *guaranteed" to develop urinary problems but he will be *more likely* to.

It was believed at one time that a dry diet is better for a cats teeth. I believe some vets still cling to this belief but most accept research that has shown it to not be true.

You'll find all sorts of contradictory information when it comes to cat nutrition. I think the best you can do is try to understand all sides and then make up your own mind.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I really think you must have misunderstood your vet on the "dry is better to prevent urinary problems" issue. I don't think that has *ever* been the conventional wisdom. I've only heard that dry food is typically loaded with the minerals that cause urinary problems and that eating a dry diet means a cat may not get enough moisture. Both these make a cat on a dry diet to be more at risk for urinary problems. That's not to say that a cat on an all dry diet is *guaranteed" to develop urinary problems but he will be *more likely* to.

It was believed at one time that a dry diet is better for a cats teeth. I believe some vets still cling to this belief but most accept research that has shown it to not be true.

You'll find all sorts of contradictory information when it comes to cat nutrition. I think the best you can do is try to understand all sides and then make up your own mind.
Actually till not so long ago that was the prevailing thought... dry was better for uti health , dental care.... it was about 20-30 yrs ago that total ash , magnesium were found to be the main issue s in UTI issues

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, that's what the doctor said (my mom was right there with me and heard it too). Trust me; I have to be able to listen well (as a college teacher) or my students would kill me

Dale

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, that's what the doctor said (my mom was right there with me and heard it too). Trust me; I have to be able to listen well (as a college teacher) or my students would kill me

Dale
How old is this vet??? If he isn't aware of a 20 year old change in thinking maybe you should consider a different vet!

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with mschauer. There are so many different sides that you just have to do the research and decide what's best for you and your cat.

If you're going to go dry, at least try to get a high quality one. Or feed a mix. I just kept coming back to what cats normally eat in nature.

Good luck!

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with mschauer. There are so many different sides that you just have to do the research and decide what's best for you and your cat.

I agree and thanks.

Regarding doctors that treat humans, it's been my experience that quite a few of them don't take many courses on nutrition/natural health medicine, and therefore, seemingly don't have a clue on that area of the discipline.

So why should animal doctors (vets) be any different?

No need to get excited (because I'm not) over it and start firing my otherwise good doctor. My last two cats lived to be 15 and 20 and the 20-year old ate Fancy Feast canned (that was my decision), so I'll be okay no matter what I decide, and I'll keep the Doc in his Mercedes for a while yet, anyway

Dale

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet reccomends Science Diet C/D dry for UTI health maintenance.

It used to be common thought that dry helped cats keep their teeth clean. Not so....as cats do not chew 70% of their food. (I have 2 toothless cats who heartily eat their dry & also their wet with no issues)

I think every vet I've been to has reccomended dry Science Diet as "the best high quality diet". *gag*

I know there have been some really good links posted on wet vs. dry....I'll have to try to see if I can't find them.

A few links to start you off with...

Choosing the right food for your cat

http://www.thecatsite.com/Health/81/Choosing

Cat food recap

http://www.thecatsite.com/Health/78/...n-A-Recap.html

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...t=wet+dry+food

dale001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And then it doesn't help matters to run across articles like this:

Many experts say wet is better while many others declare dry the best. I asked two of the veterinarians at my animal hospital their opinions, and both concurred that if only one form of food is fed it should be dry. They both agreed that dry is more concentrated so cats donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t need to eat as much to get the same nutrients.
I believe a mixture of dry and wet is the best prescription for cat food. Dry food is our staple cat food, and we feed wet food as a treat several times a week. While most cats do love wet/canned food, one of ours will not eat it at all! She will only eat dry food.
Regardless of whether you feed wet or dry food, it is very important to always have fresh water available for your cat.

I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps a happy and loving home is just as important as this wet/dry debate.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My vet reccomends Science Diet C/D dry for UTI health maintenance.
There's a difference though between a dry that is specially formulated for urinary health and dry foods in general. I think there is little doubt that not just any dry food promotes good urinary health as dale00's vet suggests and that is the issue I at least was addressing.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And then it doesn't help matters to run across articles like this:

Many experts say wet is better while many others declare dry the best. I asked two of the veterinarians at my animal hospital their opinions, and both concurred that if only one form of food is fed it should be dry. They both agreed that dry is more concentrated so cats don’t need to eat as much to get the same nutrients.
I believe a mixture of dry and wet is the best prescription for cat food. Dry food is our staple cat food, and we feed wet food as a treat several times a week. While most cats do love wet/canned food, one of ours will not eat it at all! She will only eat dry food.
Regardless of whether you feed wet or dry food, it is very important to always have fresh water available for your cat.

I'm coming to the conclusion that perhaps a happy and loving home is just as important as this wet/dry debate.
It's enough to make your head spin ain't it!

When I read something like the above I try to look at it in a critical light. Like, yeah, dry food is more concentrated but what does that matter if it is concentrated bits of things that aren't good for them? And, yeah, it's easier to get mine to eat dry than to get them to eat wet but that doesn't mean the dry is better.

A lot of people essentially compromise and feed some wet and some dry. That's what I do. I do believe that an all wet diet would be better and I'm trying to get to that. Raw with whole bones would be even better.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to go with foods that are defined as complete by AAFCO standards and that my cats do well on, as agreed by my observation and by their vet check-ups, and that work with my life as well - I work away from home, am not always home at the same time each night, and my cats like to nibble - thus, they get wet and dry.

One issue I have is that terms that have no legal definition for pet food (such as 'human grade') are often used by manufacturers; sure, looks great on the can, but honestly means nothing but nice advertising at this point, at least in the US. Or that some feel that small manufacturers are necessarily, by definition, superior to larger companies - ain't necessarily so, in any field. Smaller places may not have the resources to do the research and testing we'd all like to see - I was surprised to see in, I think, a Cornell newsletter that there are only something like 50 certified feline nutritionists in the United States. I suspect some companies can't keep nutritionists on staff for ongoing development, just due to the limited number available.

It'd be nice if there were more pro's in the field, so more long-term research and peer-reviewed clinical studies could be done, but I think we're still in the relative infancy of the field now. And I don't blame vets for not relying totally on anecdotal data - they're not trained that way, nor should they, IMO.

Nutrition is an ever-evolving study - but I think we can all agree that many cats have lived long, healthy lives on the so-called 'inferior' foods, as the manufacturers began including all the necessary trace elements, such as taurine, as the data became available and agreed upon, as well as the premium foods now available. Hopefully food supplies will keep getting better and better, at all price points, whether it's Friskies or raw diets.