Getting very worried about my Cat.

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had her spayed Monday morning at around 11am Eastern time and as of Today, Thursday... She is still completely withdrawn and lethargic.

She doesn't move, she doesn't eat (that I can tell) She is drinking a good amount, but she is still very out of it.

She hasn't made a sound, she doesn't meow, she doesn't eat, every once in a while I will find her in another room, but she is just laying there motionless.

She is breathing at around 100 reparations per minute and is breathing from her abdomen.

Her wound is very clean, there is a very little line of red right in the area where the wound is closed, where the skin meets, it looks like dried blood, but besides that the area is flesh toned and normal.

I should also note that her vet didn't give us any pain medication.

I don't know if this is common after a spaying, and after this long... But I don't want to overreact and bring her to another vet (hers isn't in until Saturday) if this isn't abnormal in any way.

I tried taking her temperature with a pet ear thermometer, but I am not sure if I was doing it right, it fell anywhere between 98 and 100 degrees.

I am worried about her and want to make sure she is alright..

Is this normal, or should I be worried?

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, you should be worried. When my female was spayed...she was quiet the first evening and part of the next morning...but after that...she was back to her normal self....

Please at least phone the Vet, or better...take her in to be seen by a Vet.

She needs to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was your cat on pain meds?

I am hoping that is the only thing that is wrong, she isn't on pain meds so she is dealing with the pain naturally and it is taking longer to get back to her normal self.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would at least call the vet! If they say she is fine then call/go to another vet. It is normal for females to still be sore and not quite back to normal energy, but they should get a little better each day. How old is she? Obviously the older the cat the longer the recovery time.

I do not believe they can give cats pain medicine for spaying, but am not sure why (?)

Let us know how she is...

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I am going to give a vet a call.

I should mention that she ate a BIT Monday night, but I don't think anything since.

I am worried. I am going to take her to a different vet.

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is 10 months old

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is walking around more, she gets up more and moves to a different place... But once she gets there she is back to laying down and being motionless.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any kittens I have had that were fixed were pretty much bouncing off the walls the next morning! I am glad you are calling the vet!!!

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yea def not normal!! O_O

let us know what happens!
my girl was passed out the first evening, by morning she was pouncing around acting all crazy again even though she had stitches and a shaven belly, half the time i thought she was gonna rip her own wound open from being so energetic X_X;

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please do take her to a Vet, she is much too young to be behaving like that after a spay. She really should have been back to her normal ways after a day or two at the most.

Keep us posted and here are some hugs going her way..

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is now at the best emergency clinic in the area.

They say that being under the anesthetic may have aggravated a heart condition and she is now in heart failure.

They have her in an oxygen tank and gave her diuretics to help with the heart failure.

They are giving her a 50-50 chance of pulling through.

I love this car more than I have ever loved any animal.

I don't have a job right now so money is really tough. It has already cost me $1,500 for the procedures so far and they estimate another $1,000.

I will do whatever I can even if it means I have to sell my car or something.

Are there any foundations or anything that can help with these types of situations... like help with the medical costs.

They say the vet who did the spaying procedure (he doesn't work at that clinic) couldn't have seen this, so it isn't his fault. Though I don't think they would tell me even if it was his fault.

I just want her to be ok, I have never seen a cat like her. She would lick me all the time. She climbs in the window when we come home an meows a lot...

I want her to be ok...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Coco wasnt fixed because it would have killed her. Did they do Blood Tests and stuff before she was fixed? My Meeko has a Heart Mumur and its not safe to fix her either. Her tests before showed it. I hope your Cat will be ok. When my Coco had her bladder stones the Vet told me no surgery would be safe for her. Thank god they disolved. My next Cat is being fixed before i get it so I will not have to deal with something happening. I would try to get Care Credit. We have it and it helped us alot. They might be covering up for the place. I only get my Cats fixed at Vets because I do not trust clinics. They do not do blood tests or any tests the Vets do. With my Meeko you can hear the Murmur.

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our vet told us that he couldn't hear the murmur anymore and that it was safe to do the procedure.

He didn't do any kind of blood work. He only did a standard exam checking vital signs and whatnot.

The center that my Cat is being taken care of at isn't listen in the providers section of the service that you guys mentioned, so I think I am going to have to pay this out of my savings and by selling stuff.

Which I will gladly do if I have to.

We can't lose her, she is a full member of the family.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. I would do everything for my Cats and have. We can not use our Care Credit because its full with the Cats I tried to save. What kind of heart problem does she have. How is she right now?

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know enough details to give you a medical explanation.

But I think it is congestive heart failure, as they are trying to dehydrate her to lessen the fluid around her heart.

We called a few minutes ago, it has been a few hours since treatment began... There hasn't been any improvements in her condition, but it hasn't gotten worse either.

So compared to how she was when she was brought in she is a lot better. She is stable and on oxygen, but the condition, that being heart failure, hasn't improved. Though it hasn't declined, so that gives me some more hope.

Poor thing.

Thank you for the advice, it wasn't until I was urged to go based on the user's advice, that I decided she needed help. Had it not been for that she may not be with us anymore.

P.S. My Cat Sybil looks just like your cat Meeko

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you went. Its not your fault she is that way. I am glad the Vet told me it wasnt safe to fix Coco. Meeko is now 8 and the Heart Murmur was found when she was a baby. Coco has other problems and is 16 now. I hope they can get the fluid out of your Cat.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know she is at an e-vet not a regular vet but check to see if you can pay some of it off later. I'm sure you signed something saying you would pay ita ll then but they will still sometimes work with you. We recently had to spend about $2000 on our dog in 48 hours. Each day we had to pay off that day's balance (b/c we had to move him from vet, to e-vet, to vet). by the last day we just could not pay anymore...I broke down with the vet (that's the key...ask the vet not the front desk people) ans explained we just did not have the money. WE had already paid $1200 to save him so we were obviously committed to the dog ans to paying the bill! So they spilt the remaining balance into 2 months!

It has been tremendously helpful. There's a low percentage they will say yes but it's worth a shot!

I am glad you took her in. Praying she makes a recovery!

sjchaput

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As it turns out she had a very serious heart condition that we didn't know about.

The anesthetic used during her spay aggravated it and sent her into heart failure.

We did everything we could to try and get her out of heart failure but she didn't respond to any medication.

This morning she passed away when her heart suddenly stopped beating, one hour before we were scheduled to put her to sleep.

We are having her cremated and we will keep her with us always.

I bought this cat for my wife to make her happy, I had no idea the love I would have for Sybil. It hurts so much, she was my first cat and the first animal I have ever loved.

And I always will.

I will miss her so much.

The vets say that even if we had brought her in right after her spay there was nothing that could have been done, her heart condition was so severe.

She was only 9 months old.