So how can I be pleasant to the annoying person tomorrow?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got a message on my answer machine today from a garden aquaintance asking if I need any help weeding (its a nice thought but a little late) or to bring something for the garden tour tomorrow (have menu set).

Anyhow I haven't called her back yet as it would be a long phone conversation.

Well when she and her husband come tomorrow as she really doesn't know anyone but me I know she will try to monopolize my attention.

How can I be polite to her but also ignore isn't the right word but make sure my other guests get a share of my time?? I have a feeling they will be the last to leave too!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you think of something she has in common with another of your friends? If you can introduce her to someone with something like, "You grow such beautiful tulips -- you just have to meet Sally, she put in some parrot tulips this spring..." Get 'em talking and then hurry off to someone else!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not just say, Excuse me, but I have to circulate - just have a look around and help yourself to the snacks.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Why not just say, Excuse me, but I have to circulate - just have a look around and help yourself to the snacks.
And she asked to help, is there anything trivial (since I know you are well prepared!) or unrelated that you can assign her to? I love doing that in search and rescue.
For example with us, we like to have someone hand out fliers if they're actually just in the way. Maybe she can hand out your fliers? If you have some- sorry, don't know the details of your business or tour!

Good luck. And no matter what happens with her, enjoy your tour and be proud- you know your garden is gorgeous!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Introduce her around to people, so that she will know people there. Also if she has common interests with someone else that you know there, you might mention it during the introduction. Then after a couple minutes of chit chat, excuse yourself as needing to go and attend to things and leave her to continue her conversation with whomever it was that you introduced her to.

As someone who feels like a fish out of water at an event where I don't know anyone but the host, I appreciate the person taking me under her wing for a bit and introducing me to other people because I find it hard to just walk up and say "Hi! I'm Linda. What's your name?"

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Introduce her around to people, so that she will know people there. Also if she has common interests with someone else that you know there, you might mention it during the introduction. Then after a couple minutes of chit chat, excuse yourself as needing to go and attend to things and leave her to continue her conversation with whomever it was that you introduced her to.

As someone who feels like a fish out of water at an event where I don't know anyone but the host, I appreciate the person taking me under her wing for a bit and introducing me to other people because I find it hard to just walk up and say "Hi! I'm Linda. What's your name?"
I was going to say the same thing! I'm the same way. If I don't know anybody but one person, I'm glued to them (hmmm...maybe that's why I get to give out fliers
lol). I'm not good at starting conversations but once introduced its easier, especially if we have common interests.

I know this is probably too late because your tour is today, but good luck! Let us know how it went.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I(hmmm...maybe that's why I get to give out fliers
lol).
Sorry! It's just, I am not sure what a "garden tour" is, and I know everyone has given great ideas on how to get her socializing with other guests. So, in case it's like I imagine it would be- a tour, with GailC leading, and where she'd rather her guests follow the tour than sit around chatting- or in case "the annoying person" doesn't want to socialize (I'm more like that, I'd rather help than make small talk with someone I don't know), I thought I'd throw out another option!

That, and that really is what I have to do. In search and rescue, we can't have people hanging around socializing, so if they want to be around, they have to work. So that is my experience, just thought I'd offer her a different idea!

Of course, if it is a social gathering, by all means, introduce her to other people, and let's hope she takes to it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will have stick on name tags-but since she will probably be the 1st one here she can help with parking!!
Really though she called me a bit after 7 this morning-got her off the phone fairly quickly though after thanking her for her offer of assistance.
Thanks for the tips!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Sorry! It's just, I am not sure what a "garden tour" is, and I know everyone has given great ideas on how to get her socializing with other guests. So, in case it's like I imagine it would be- a tour, with GailC leading, and where she'd rather her guests follow the tour than sit around chatting- or in case "the annoying person" doesn't want to socialize (I'm more like that, I'd rather help than make small talk with someone I don't know), I thought I'd throw out another option!

That, and that really is what I have to do. In search and rescue, we can't have people hanging around socializing, so if they want to be around, they have to work. So that is my experience, just thought I'd offer her a different idea!

Of course, if it is a social gathering, by all means, introduce her to other people, and let's hope she takes to it!
Oh honey, no need to apologize. I was poking fun at myself! I'm like you, I would rather be given a job than stand around taking up space looking like an idiot. Now I just think I'm the annoying person because I'm usually given that job.

From what I gather, a garden tour is more like an open house where people look and mingle, but I could be wrong.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats what it is-a garden open house. A wander around a persons yard and looking at the gardens (in my case I have over 10 large garden beds plus around the entire house is landscaped). One provides refreshments and its a social event.