What about the darn pet deposit?!

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I moved out of my one bedroomed apartment; Toby had had a few accidents on the carpet in my bedroom, but it wasn't too bad and probably could have been fine if they'd professionally steam cleaned it. So I go to get what I expect is the remains of my security deposit, only to find a bill for 88 dollars because they REPLACED the carpet! Without even steam cleaning it!

So they charged me 300 dollars to replace the carpet in one tiny room, without considering the options. I am really confused, because I thought the pet deposit covered that?! What's the point of HAVING one if they're not going to use it for pet related damage?!

GRRRRR!

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you mean they took your 300.00 and billed you an additional 88.00?
From what I've gathered from looking at rentals, pet deposits are usually non refundable here from the get-go, but 388.00 total to recarpet a room does sound like waaay too much money. Maybe you could contact them & ask for a good explanation.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about the bill, but they can keep the whole deposit. A $300 deposit on one of my apartments was kept as they had to replace the carpet in one room. $300 to recarpet is not bad, but you should have kept on them about it. My mom just spent $1500 to repaint the kitchen!

I basically would tell them to take that bill and put it where the sun doesn't shine!! They have your whole pet deposit which covers PETS! Tell them to take the balance out of the regular deposit. (if you want)

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I take a NON refundable pet deposit of $200 per cat. That covers me allowing you to have that cat. Because that's what the law will allow me to do, I could charge an additional rent amount of $20.00 per month for the cat, that's $240.00 per year. I have one lady who has 2 cats she has been here for 7 years. Hummmmmm. My regular deposit is refundable in 21 days and I must give you receipts for everything I spent, and the balance of your money in the allowed time. I can charge you for things depending on the amount of time you lived in my building. I can't charge for paint after you have been here 13 months. Check your laws in the area you live in.
K.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wingss2fly

I take a NON refundable pet deposit of $200 per cat. That covers me allowing you to have that cat. Because that's what the law will allow me to do, I could charge an additional rent amount of $20.00 per month for the cat, that's $240.00 per year. I have one lady who has 2 cats she has been here for 7 years. Hummmmmm. My regular deposit is refundable in 21 days and I must give you receipts for everything I spent, and the balance of your money in the allowed time. I can charge you for things depending on the amount of time you lived in my building. I can't charge for paint after you have been here 13 months. Check your laws in the area you live in.
K.
If it is a deposit, it is refundable. Otherwise it is a retainer. Is it not? I was in the videographer field for awhile and if it said non-refundable deposit, a judge could force you to refund it even if it said "non-refundable". Maybe it's different for apartment rentals...I don't know...

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was told as long as I told them it was a non refundable charge it did not matter. So I will call it a pet fee. We refund 80% of deposit money everytime anyway, so I have not had to worry about problems. And most of my tenants have been here 5 years or more. So I don't get to charge for much but total damage.